• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Playstation one - cult following as a CD player

This old story gets legs again with a review in Stereophile

In short they say it measures poorly, even for a budget player, but it is probably the most engaging digital source out there.

Has anyone been tempted to raid their junk cupboard or the local op shop for one of these just to try it for themselves.

I know a guy that owns one and he has offered to lend it to me. I will certainly share my thoughts once I have compared it to my digital source. I will have to be careful however as I believe the serial number needs to be within a particular range, or something like that.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Funny how this has sprung new life.

I believe I have one that falls in the correct SN. IIRC, I checked it many moons ago when it first began to circulate about it's digital playback of CD. It's packed away in storage now.

I remember playing a few cd's on mine, even before the buzz about them started. I too was surprised that it was decent for music playback. However, honestly, I don't recall be floored. It was acceptable though! I would have no problem using it if need be in a pinch. But, IMO, just about any decent player under $100 (US) would give you more flexibility and equal to better sound.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"