X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Music Hall MMF 5 & NAD PP2

I've been thinking about breaking open the couple of boxes of vinyl I have in the attic and maybe adding to the collection, but didn't want to invest to much into it. I've come across this package for <$500 which is about my limit. The MMF 5 has a 1012GX cartridge with a new stylus. Good investment?

Also, if I want to improve things down the road, where should I start? Again keeping in mind I'm not looking to invest $1000s here.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I think the MMF5 is V good TT.
    That price is V reasonable if it is in good shape.

Hopefully, this is a local pick-up, as V few people know how to correctly package a TT for shipping.

I might look at some of the Pro-Ject, Creek and Bel Canto phono-pre's as an upgrade, along with a new cart. JMHO

Others here have way more experience than me, and hopefully will have more advice for you.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

I'm not familiar with that NAD model (perhaps a re-badged Rega P-2?) , but I have a Music Hall mmf-5SE I got a deal on. I'm very pleased with my TT. The SE came with the Goldring 1024GX cartridge and a glass platter , but those are the most significant differences. The Music Hall TTs are made in the same factory as the ProJects , and have a ProJect tonearm. I feel it is a good TT. I also agree with wkhanna's emphasis on a good phono amp. I'm using a Bellari VP129 and am very happy with it. I'll start trying different tubes soon and look forward to finding out what's available. If you want to go solid-state for a phono pre , wk's suggestions are very hard to equal on anything resembling a budget.
      As for cartridge upgrades , the Goldring Eroica H is a good high-output MC cartridge that works well with a MM phono amp , as will most high output MCs.
      Whichever way you go , I think you'll enjoy revisiting vinyl. I have several CDs that are duplicates of my albums-in name only-and there is no comparison. You may do well trying out a Denon TT , or a decent used table , to see if you want to go through the cleaning and table set-up rituals. For me , music is an activity that is enhanced by my involvement. Some people would rather pop in some tunes and ignore the source . The second group is likely smarter than I , but I won't give up the experience of good vinyl. Hell , I won't give up bad vinyl.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I currently have a Sota Sapphire on lone from my 'new' best friend :B . PewterTA and I have been have a ball comparing LPs to CDs. Just yesterday, PewterTA made the comment ‘I feel like I have been cheated by the people who make the CDs I bought, there is so much music missing!’

I couldn’t add much to that statement. One aspect we both notice is sustain and realistic cymbal reproduction, voices that sound so realistic, you swear other people are in the room, and warmth and realism of strings like you have never heard before. Bass is still tight, but more true, with a softer feel that the skin actually has. There is no loss of speed, and transients are as bold as ever. One other thing that I noticed right away, CDs of older rock classics, like my Allman Brothers, Layla and David Bowie are barely listenable on my rather revealing system, but come to life with warmth and detail when compared to their analog counterpart.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"