X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitjv
    • Dec 2007

FM Tuner Recommendation

I am looking for a quality FM tuner in the $1,000 or less price range. Having HD & satellite radio capabilities are important since I live in an area with limited FM stations. I am amenable to either SS or tubes. Which brands/models would be on your short list? Thank you kindly.
    Last edited by kitjv; 04 February 2008, 16:36 Monday. Reason: Add text
  • H.T.C
    • Nov 2003

The Samsung hd radio is under $1000.00 but i dont think it has satellite radio.

The krell tuner may have all the features but its $5000.00.

The magnum dynalab are fm only and cost $2600.00.

I dont think i saw one with all those features at that price but they are probably out there.

If you are in the country hd radio may be hard to pull in anyways and am hd is in hibernation at this point and mw stations cannot even afford it,they are thinking instead to transmit off a fm transmiter for more distance as long as the station is not more then a 25 mile radius.

If digital radio mondial "stereo shortwave" ever gets here it will outdue sat radio as bandwith is concerned and maybe hd radio as well.

Would you try a shortwave radio as a tuner instead that has am,fm,shortwave and xm satellite with being able to use external anntenas for $500.00 ?
    Robert

Comment

• kitjv
      • Dec 2007

Is anyone familiar with the Sangean HDT-1? Not satellite radio compatible. Considering the relatively poor quality of FM broadcasts & my somewhat remote location, I really do not want to overspend on a tuner.

Comment

• H.T.C
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by kitjv
        Is anyone familiar with the Sangean HDT-1? Not satellite radio compatible. Considering the relatively poor quality of FM broadcasts & my somewhat remote location, I really do not want to overspend on a tuner.
        Thats the tuner i was talking about the sangean unit ,sorry, i called it a samsung.

It got a editorial type review in stereophile and was said to be a good unit unless being far away from a fm transmitter.

The am hd stations only broadcast at night and interfere with non digital am transmissions.
        Robert

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

What about the Rotel RT-1084. I have the 1080 (without HD and Sirius) and the sound quality of it is on par with the best I've heard.

I also know that Magnum Dynalab makes some killer sounding tuners. Not sure if they have that has all the features you'd want. But they do look as cool as they sound, got the old-school style to them with the analog meters. :T
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"