X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Wondering best amp for the money

I'm willing to spend $1000 for a good powerful amp to drive hdmi with xbox 360 and ps3 both picture and sound. I own a sony bravia 52" xbr4 so I want some good ass quality amp! My speakers are good but not super expensive awesome. They are 2x b&w 805s and for my backs are digital audio sl-8310's.
  • twitch54
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
    I want some good ass quality amp!

Not sure what your description means relative the $$$ you want to spend but if your willing to go used you might have a chance. 1k new is not really going to buy a "good ass quality amp" , IMO!!

What are you going to use as a pre/pro ??
    Dave

Comment

• deke
      • Dec 2005

Seems a Rotel 1095 may be the ticket... but you'll likely have to pay around 1250.

Comment

• Warpdrv1
        • Dec 2006

Maybe you might want to take a look at the Emotiva XPA-5 coming out, for $799.00 200x5

Their line of amps have proven to offer quite an impressively low THD

proboards54.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, proboards54.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I have the Rotel 1095, and its a spectacular amp, but I figure the Emotiva is worth a shot with the reviews, and measurements that have been shown under testing...

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Look for an ATI 1505 or 1805 somewhere around there. They go used on audiogon and videogon for around 800-1000. Awesome build quality they weight 80-100lbs. You said to drive HDMI and Xbox360 though so are you talking about a receiver? If so I'm about to purchase a Denon 3808CI which I've found for about 1200.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

You only have an integrated amp at this time, right? Rotel RA-985BX integrated amp, right. You can not take full advantage of HDMI with an integrated amp.

- If you are content using the stereo left and right channel from the PS3 and Xbox360, then what you want is a pro-amp to combine with your current Rotel RA-985BX. If you like classical, jazz, etc music, I would recommend the Rotel RB-1080 (2ch) or Rotel RB-1095 (5ch). If you listen to any rock or hip-hop music, I would recommend the ATI 1505 that Dougie mentioned, or a Parasound HCA-1500A (2ch) or Parasound HCA-2205 (5ch). I would recommend against the Rotel amp for heavy music. I own a pair of 805s, and after trying them with a Rotel amp, I found them to be too soft and polite for heavy music.

- If you are NOT content using the stereo left and right channel from the PS3 and Xbox360, and plan to utilize the HDMI connection to the fullest, then what you want is to replace your Rotel RA-985BX with a newer AV receiver that supports HDMI video and audio. Currently, the big players are the Denon 3808CI, the Integra DTC 9.8, and Marantz SR8002. These will make the most out of the HDMI signal. (There is the Onkyo 805, but I don't recommend it with the B&W 805s because Onkyo is a little too soft on bass, and since you don't have a sub, the 805 will really sound thin on the bottom end).

At this point, it is your judgement call on whether or not this is good enough for you. Yes, you can overkill it and get an AV receiver (HDMI capable) PLUS one of the above mentioned pro-amps.
            Last edited by audioqueso; 29 January 2008, 18:30 Tuesday.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• M3-SRT8
              • Jan 2008

Yamaha RX-V1800. You need a good AV Receiver.

See my post in your other thread.

LJB 8)

Comment

• Yasvanth
                • Jun 2006

Hi

I was wondering what would be the best amp for listening to R'n'B music eg Alicia Key, Toni Braxton, Beyonce etc. Prices anything between £800 - £1500. It must also have a built in phono stage.

Thanks

Jazz

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Yasvanth
                  Hi

I was wondering what would be the best amp for listening to R'n'B music eg Alicia Key, Toni Braxton, Beyonce etc. Prices anything between £800 - £1500. It must also have a built in phono stage.

Thanks

Jazz
                  For that music any amp that is not plugged into the wall or switched on would be most desirable. :takecover:

I know a guy who likes "that kind of music". He says NAD amps are the way to go for a bit of bass on a budget - he prefers them to higher priced Arcam.
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Yasvanth
                    • Jun 2006

Hi Briz,

What about the Musical Fidelity amps, do think they will sound great with this sought of music?

I used to have an Arcam A85 and P85 Pwr amp, but I sold them as I just felt that they sounded weak and underpowered sounding.

Also can you recommend a cd player,int and spk cables for the amp?

Thanks again

Jazz

Comment

• iiaudio
                      • Feb 2008

I got my RB-1080 well under $1000. It can cleanly power my N803s beyond what my ears can handle .... +112 dBa.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

For any cables check out Catcables.com they are easily best for the money.

Comment

• RobP
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Musical Fidelity would be wonderful with those 805's, if you was to go pre-owned then a Classe CA-101 would do nicely. Cd Player wise, try a Rega Jupiter, Rotel RCD-1072, or if you can get your hands on one a Classe CDP-10...cable wise....Catcables of course!
                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Yasvanth
                            • Jun 2006

Hi

Er no, I was more thinking Musical Fidelity Pre & Pwr amps with Kef Reference 1:2 Spks.

What do you think?

Yas

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"