X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moonlightdrive21
    • Dec 2005

Led Zepplein Mothership Sound Quality

Please forgive the off topic post. ops:

I have been trying to find out if the new Led Zeppelin best of compilation CD called "Mothership" has improved sound quality over the Zeppelin Remasters boxed set that came out years ago. Can't get the answer anywhere and I thought this forum might be the place to get it. Anyone know?

Thanks!
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

Moved to here as Club B&W is not the place

Good luck

Geoff

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Sorry I don't have an answer for you , moonlight , but I'm most interested in the answer. I've found Zeppelin CDs to generally sound like boiling cats. My Zep vinyl , on the other hand.....
      I don't know why , but I have never found a LedZep CD that sounds good
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Pookie007
        • Apr 2006

I got it the other day. The sound quality is typical of their previous recordings.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Pookie007
          I got it the other day. The sound quality is typical of their previous recordings.
          Damnit.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hamblis
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by moonlightdrive21
            I have been trying to find out if the new Led Zeppelin best of compilation CD called "Mothership" has improved sound quality over the Zeppelin Remasters boxed set that came out years ago....
            Mothership is poor, unfortunately. I think Zep were the greatest but sometimes their work was loose. Mothership suffers from both poor performances and poor sound engineering and the remastered set of 4 CD's remains the best non-vinyl option. If only there could be a serious effort to reproduce the original LP's on CD and SACD...

Comment

• twitch54
              • Apr 2006

Having "Zeps' stuff in both vinyl and CD I concur, my LP's are superior. I am awaiting the "Mother Ship" release on Vinyl to ship soon.
              Dave

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Vinyl is the best for Zep... the CDs have been worthy attempts, but have all come up short in comparison.

I know a re-mix is sacrilege in some quarters, but it might be the only way to get a proper sonic representation of Led Zeppelin on an optical disc... the multitracks are said to exist in excellent condition.

Haven't heard Mothership myself, but it is discussed at length here: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...d.php?t=126513 ... differing opinions, no consensus – leading me to think the truth is somewhere in the middle... guess I'll have to get it and determine for myself.
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Ben Diss
                  • Mar 2006

I agree. I bought it, ripped it and compared it to the Remasters set. My immediate conculsion was that the Mothership was compressed and mixed with much more treble. It gives the impression that there is more detail but in every case where I looked for something subtle in Mothership I heard it also in Remasters.

I say it's crap.

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Yup. The banishment of vinyl to the nether regions of Audiophillia has broken many a heart. I frequently hear folks who A) aren't old enough , or B) weren't into quality audio 30 years ago , complain about Led Zep. They don't understand all the hoopla. The track of one man's musical hand through the creation , performance and production of the music , has been lost to digital defecation. The interplay between Page and Plant on so many tracks has no emotional content on CD.:rant: A digital picture of a kick in the nuts may be accurate , but it ain't a kick in the nuts.
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Gump
                      • Sep 2005

I have to agree with the consensus. LedZep + CD = clock radio sound. I had my hopes up for this release....very disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"