X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr president
    • Dec 2007

SACD players

Hey guys whats up...just joined tonight! Im currently still using my nearly 20 year old carver system with b&w mattrix'. But im looking into doing some upgrading, I want to get into SA-CD, but i dont think i really understand it. I am under the impression that sa-cd cannot playout through digital outputs? Is this true? Someone care to educate me here?

And also...anybody know of any mailorder shops that sell standalone sa-cd players? I am not interested in a multiplayer. And in my area that is all they sell. And their cheap ones at that. I would like to be in the 300-600 dollar range. Any input would be appreciated...thanks.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hiya, um.... Mr. President! (sounds funny saying that) Yes, SACD does have too much bandwith to pass through optical or coaxial digital connections. However, you can pass SACD through certain types of proprietary digital connections, like Denon's "Denon Link III". HDMI also is able to carry full bandwith SACD, I think starting with HDMI 1.1. I am currently using this with my PS3, HDMI to a processor.

Any reason you don't want to do a multiplayer? Some of them are quite good, such as my Denon DVD-3910. Matter of fact, I may be open to selling my Denon, only for a silly reason of buying another similar model from another company to make my equipment rack more uniform.

Other than that, perhaps others can chime in here with dedicated player info. I was under the impression that dedicated units are no longer in production.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• zmanbands
      • May 2007

Sony DVP S9000ES

This is a great SACD well built flagship Sony player. Used on audiogon and ebay for $350 or less. Does not play MC SACD or CD-R. Don't be fooled by it being a Sony. Top of the line.

Comment

• eljr
        • Aug 2007

The BEST SACD player under $1000 is the MARANTZ SA8001.
        (It has all the awards as well) $899 suggested retail.
        What you got back home, lil' sister, to play yer fuzzy warbles on? Pitiful, portable picnic players?
        Come with uncle & hear all proper! Hear angels trumpets & devils trombones. You are invited!

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Used Marantz SA8260 would be very good at a decent price , as well.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Mr president
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Chris D
            Any reason you don't want to do a multiplayer? Some of them are quite good, such as my Denon DVD-3910. Matter of fact, I may be open to selling my Denon, only for a silly reason of buying another similar model from another company to make my equipment rack more uniform.

Well maybe things are different now, but every cd/dvd player ive ever owned, had good dvd audio, but the cd playback was chitty sounding. Then again ive never really spent more than a couple bills in the past since ive always had stand alone cd players as well.

Another question! When playing sacd's that are recorded in stereo, will the output only be 2 channel l/r or will i be able to use my p/sub also?

Thanks for the info..

Comment

• Mr president
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by eljr
              The BEST SACD player under $1000 is the MARANTZ SA8001.
              (It has all the awards as well) $899 suggested retail.
              Im interested in marantz, but i cant buy their products here. Best buy carries a couple of their lowend players but thats it. I'll just have to keep an eye on ebay i guess.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by zmanbands
                This is a great SACD well built flagship Sony player. Used on audiogon and ebay for $350 or less. Does not play MC SACD or CD-R. Don't be fooled by it being a Sony. Top of the line.
                I have wanted this one myself for some time! Looks like a great player.
                B&W

Comment

• zmanbands
                  • May 2007

Race car

If its in your budget consider a modded s9000es. Some of these are selling around $1000. I would check with the modder to get the hours played. Any problems and remaining warranty they will honor. Of course you need the sellers name ans serial #. Vacuum State currently is up to level 6 mods for $1750 with level 5 to 6 at $200. Fantastic sound!!!!

Comment

• Hamblis
                    • Dec 2007

....Another question! When playing sacd's that are recorded in stereo, will the output only be 2 channel l/r or will i be able to use my p/sub also...?

If your preamp has multiple outputs you can take a connection to your sub. It's what I do. Use the crossover control on the sub to bring it in just about where your main pair roll off.

Steve
                    Last edited by Hamblis; 27 December 2007, 08:40 Thursday. Reason: Tidy up the formatting

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"