X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timetohunt
    • Feb 2007

Help getting ready for new Disc Players

I am still only a few months into the hobby.

I am looking to upgrade my situation for playing discs, my collection is largely red book cds, but I also have lots of concert DVDs, a few DVD-As, SACDs, and HDCD encoded CDs.

So, my first thought was upgrade to a better universal player than the one I currently have. Possibly a custom modified Universal Player.

Someone on another forum just told me that all players sound the same when played through digital connects such as HDMI. I don't know if that is true or not.... but it did make me think. Afterall, those $5k and $6k high end SACD and CD players are all based on Analog RCA connections. But then why would some companies be offering digital mods to players. For example I was looking at a modified oppo universal player for about $1200. I am a bit confused on this and still have not found the right direction.

I was thinking of maybe putting some money into a used hi end SADC/CD player and keeping my current universal or getting a slight upgrade for that.
    But then, don't those high end players beg for being connected directly to a stereo amp rather than a A/V receiver. I am using a receiver now but I could make a hybrid system I guess. Still not sure about that one.... suggestions anyone?

Also - this got me thinking about my setup with my current player. It offers HDMI, optical and coax digital connections, and analog outs. Right now I have it connected through optical to my receiver.

1. keep in mind I don't care too much about high video quality, and I don't have an HDMI receiver yet. But would using HDMI be a benefit audio wise (given that I will have an HDMI receiver soon)?

2. Should I still connect the analog outs to the receiver in addition to my optical connection for any reason ?

3. Is there any advantage to using the coax vs. optical?

Thanks.
  • eddiespaghetti
    • Sep 2006

I just went through this. I don't have an "HDMI-ready" pre-amp, TV is low-def, and I wanted something to play DVDs, CDs, DVD-As, and SACDs.
    Originally posted by timetohunt
    1. keep in mind I don't care too much about high video quality, and I don't have an HDMI receiver yet. But would using HDMI be a benefit audio wise (given that I will have an HDMI receiver soon)?
    No experience with this one, but from what I remember reading, HDMI 1.3 (which hasn't been around too long) has the specs for the newer audio encodings, and not all manufacturers have incorporated it into their products. I don't believe HDMI will have an immediate audio benefit.

2. Should I still connect the analog outs to the receiver in addition to my optical connection for any reason ?
    From what I know, multi-channel and the high resolution portion of SACDs need to be sent over an analog connection. I have my player connected with both multichannel analog cables and a coax digital cable
    3. Is there any advantage to using the coax vs. optical?
    There is a thread on this topic that has had some activity within the past 2 weeks or so - if I weren't so lazy, I'd search and post it here

My decision was based on finding something that did audio well, and the video portion would be gravy. I wanted a universal player, and was looking to stay under $500 as this would be replaced in a few years with a high def player.

The decision came down to the Oppo 970, and a Denon 2910. I waffled back and forth for a couple of weeks, and wound up getting the Denon. There was good and bad press on both, but the Denon had been getting better audio reviews while the Oppo seemed to get better video reviews. I've been happy with the Denon, but since I have no basis for comparison, I could just as easily be saying the same thing had I gone with the Oppo.

Comment

• timetohunt
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by eddiespaghetti
      The decision came down to the Oppo 970, and a Denon 2910. I waffled back and forth for a couple of weeks, and wound up getting the Denon. There was good and bad press on both, but the Denon had been getting better audio reviews while the Oppo seemed to get better video reviews. I've been happy with the Denon, but since I have no basis for comparison, I could just as easily be saying the same thing had I gone with the Oppo.
      OK.. thanks for the input. What my mission is... I'm trying to get through all of the disc player BS and squeeze as much good audio as I can out of my options (I love my concert DVDs but am satisfied with watching in standard video, so I don't care about video). I will not be buying any $5k disc players but I would spend up to $1500 for one or two players. And I would be willing to dedicate a player to stereo amp. IF ITS ALL WORTH IT!!. I don't know yet if I can tell the difference between a cheapie disc player or one costing thousands. Auditioning stuff is hard for me as I live way out in the boondocks. So I am going to rely mostly on research. Others please chime in. Thanks.

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Most of your questions have been dealt with in past posts on this forum - I don't think the answer has changed much since they were originally posted. I would recommend using the search feature to check out what others have said.

Best bang for your buck! Everyone wants it but it is so very hard to work out how to get it or what it actually is for you, particularly if you have a DVD and receiver and the original cables/interconnects that came with them and have never heard a good two channel system (I say two channel as you fork out less for basic good quality).

Personally I think multi-channel DVD video bliss is relatively easy to achieve because your brain is dealing with both audio and video processing,so I tend to be less fussy. DVD-A and SACD are much trickier and more expensive with 5 equally good speakers and good amplification expensive. I found my interest in multi-channel has faded as few studio multi-channel recordings do it for me - too gimmicky and distracting from the music (this is just my personal experience of course). Concert and film DVDs on the other hand are very entertaining but often sound just as good in two channel.

My current hobbie horse is audio clubs - if you can hear what others have done you can get a better idea of what can be achieved. That being said, they tend to be at the upper end of the audio $$$ spectrum so you may be listening to systems costing more than you are prepared to pay.

You are right to question the potential for improvements from dedicated CD players, amps, cables and interconnects - let alone power cables, power conditioning etc. Its a very personal thing

Over a number of years I found that my receiver, cables and DVD player all strangled the music to about an equal degree (you can check my profile to see what I was running as I still have the multichannel gear for movies).

Grabbing the first solution that comes to mind - I would grab a Shanling T80 CD player (dynamic little beast that it is), some silver interconnects (CAT brand advertised on this forum will fit the bill), a decent 2 channel integrated that fits your budget (second hand would be best to improve bang for buck) and some silver speaker cables, and finally add a pair of Quad 11L speakers (depending if your current mains are up to the job or not). You will have great sounding 2 channel for the bulk of your collection (CDs) for minimal outlay - much better than trying to get audio bliss from a compromise system.

Finally, please please please listen to this sort of system before you spend anything - spend at least an hour and use your own music. Music is very personal and you have to work out the best option for you.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"