X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pearsall001
    • Dec 2005

Pass Labs X-150 & Classe CA201...

I'm considering these two amps for my system. They will be driving a pair of AAD 2001 monitors (86db/8ohm) & paired with a CJ PV14LS2 preamp. Any 1st hand experience with either of these amps? Thoughts & opinions greatly appreciated.
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

The Stereophile Magazine review of the Classé CA-200 may help you out some. The CA-200 and CA-201 are identical internally, only the cosmetics are different. Classé went from all-black or all-silver front panels to a combination of the two.

Link to review: http://stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/297classe/

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Any reason that you favour these two amps? Are you planning on getting them second hand?

I traded my PV14LS2 a couple of months back so you can guess what I would recommend, particularly if you like the Conrad Johnson sound.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• twitch54
        • Apr 2006

Both excellent choices, but at that level I would NOT make a purchase without an audition or first hand knowledge of the sound. FWIW, I have been fan of Nelson Pass since the Threshold days.
        Dave

Comment

• pearsall001
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
          Any reason that you favour these two amps? Are you planning on getting them second hand?

I traded my PV14LS2 a couple of months back so you can guess what I would recommend, particularly if you like the Conrad Johnson sound.
          Yes, my purchase will be a used piece. As far as listening, it's very hard if not impossible to accomplish this. I pretty much have to go on reviews, customer feedback etc.

I've looked at other amps as well but these two seem to always peek my interest. I would be glad to hear any recommendations you might have also. My budget is hovering around $1700, +/- a little.

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I started looking for a match with the PV14 and considered the following
            - I tended not to look at balanced designs as the PV14 does not have this facility. These amps seem to be optimised for this type of operation, and some such as the one from Parasound were said to be significantly better in balanced operation. It did not seem logical to buy an amp that I could not get optimum performance from.
            - higher input impedance - lots of amps seem to be rated at 10kohms, CJ recommends much higher input impedance for best results.

The x150 is a fully balanced design with 11kohms impedance (in unbalanced operation). Not sure about the Classe-maybe that is a more optimum match. This is not to say that the pass labs would not sound good, but you would not be hearing it at its best. How much performance you would miss out on is difficult to say.

Upgrading to a control amp within the CJ family was the logical choice for me, particularly one as good as the CA200. Unfortunately even with a good trade in price it would be outside your budget. How about a second hand CJ power amp - you could go tube or solid state.

If you are buying second hand and do not like the amp you can always sell the amp for what you paid and try something different.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• twitch54
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by pearsall001
              As far as listening, it's very hard if not impossible to accomplish this. I pretty much have to go on reviews, customer feedback etc.

you live in NJ.....have you not heard of John Ratan @ Audio Connection in Verona ???????????
              Dave

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"