X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jquin
    • Dec 2006

Advice: Stress tests for amps? problems with H/K avr635

Hi All
    I have a H/K AVR635 that has been causing some concern. I have had it in for repair only to have a "nothing is wrong" verdit.
    The problem is that the system sounds fine with music esp. HQ recordings but
    for speech it gives distortion. Well it sounds like distortion to me.
    The issues is esp during words like "are" the resonance in the "rrrrr" part seems distorted like it's clipping or something.
    I have noticed this with three different pairs of speakers, the current ones being my build of Jon marsh's ModulaMT.

Does anyone know of any stress tests for amps so that I can give the "technicians" something repeatable to test against. The warranty runs out soon so I'm keen to get this sorted.

I have some test equipment, I'd just like a pointer or two from wise amplifer gurus' ;x(
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

If it sounds fine with some things, but not others. I'd suspect the recording, not the amp.

I've never heard of an amp having problems with r's

If you have something that clearly demonstrates the problem, you might want
    to try it on other amps, and perhaps other rooms, to see how it sounds there.

Therrre arrre no strrress tests that I know about that would identify a prrroblem with rrrr's. I wonderrr if yourrr earrrs have an issue with rrr's.
    Did you ever run a jack hammerrrr?

Comment

• jquin
      • Dec 2006

Gee thanks, that was VERY helpful :roll:

Comment

• JudyLou
        • Apr 2006

Hi SHLM jquin

We had a similar problem on a Marantz receiver a while back. But our problem only arised when we played DTS formatted DVD’s and only the surround channels. So they replaced the processor DSP chip and problem was solved. I “apparently” had to do with certain frequencies in a certain range that when to the surround and rear channels.

Now I don’t know if your HK does it in all formats and on all channels – but it also sounds like a processor problem – if your amp is the problem!?

Also, just check your interconnecting cables from your DVD/CD player – if its not the cable try chancing to another input, like if its now on the DVD input, move it to the CD input.

Always first start on your source and move down along the line to eliminate where it might come from.

Good luck
        BRK
        Lourens

Comment

• jquin
          • Dec 2006

Thanks alot. It nice to hear that other have had similar problems.
          I'll try to monitor the line outputs to see if the issue is there.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"