X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

Anyone Use A Cabinet Fan Or Cooler

Here's the deal. When I first got my Pre-Amp and Amp the Amp didn't go into the cabinet with the Pre-Amp, DVD Player, Cable Box...I had it outside as I didn't think it would fit well.

Wife really prefered that it would go in the cabinet, so I ditched the VCR, did some re-arranging and in it went. Have been checking to see how warm it's been getting and today it was warmer than I would have liked.

I looked on line and see there is a few differnt ways to go. Basic draw fan to pull out air, ducted fans, plates with fans to go under or over the component...

Unfortunatly the cabinet is enclosed for the most part and the wife likes it It's a two door deal with 2 sides, one shelf on each side. Two front door are wooden framed with glass. Top, bottom and sides are solid. Back has 2 slots (one on each side) about 1" wide x 2' high, basically cabling slots.

Anybody using a basically enclosed cabinet with some type of fan(s) of ventilation scheme?
  • zmanbands
    • May 2007

$ 5 fans at Walmart.

You can hear them up close at low listening volume but not at your listening volume. Have wife choose color. Get 2 of them. Closed cabinet NOT good however. If you can't comfortably have your hand on the amp it's too hot. At least crack the doors. Your component life will probably be diminished. Have wife set aside $ each week for equipment you will need to replace.

Comment

• riceaterslc
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by zmanbands
      Have wife set aside $ each week for equipment you will need to replace.
      haha classic. if you have your wife do this, you sir, have a keeper. for everyone else like me i wish you luck trying to get this to happen. :lol:
      chris

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

greenhorn, I have a mains powered fan at the back of my amp's cabinet, and it's very effective. Initially I experimented with a PC cabinet fan but it just wasn't powerful enough. I have drilled a 3-inch hole in the back of my cabinet behind the fan so that the fan draws cool air from outside the cabinet rather than just circulate warm air. I used to have doors on the front of my cabinet. One day I just removed them. I must have picked a good day because my wife never said a word.

Nigel.

Comment

• Russ L
          • Jul 2006

Rotel RKF-100 Custom Rack Fan

This is rack mountable and contains 3 fans. It has 2 thermal sensors- one internal and one external. I assume the fans are quiet but it may draw air from the front which might not suit your problem. $119 and if you have Rotel it'll match your other gear- has the Rotel badge and all. I think I just sold myself on this unit :lol: -Russ
          Russ

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Yeah, I use different rack fans--an Elan Zfan, and Parasound, also coincidentally named Zfan. Both work great, but like Nigel said, if you can blow air THROUGH the cabinet, it's even better. My current setup has open full-size racks, so I no longer have to worry about enclosed cases.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
              • Jul 2007

Blower fans are nice. They move a lot of air and are relatively quiet. Usually DC powered though.
              Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• greenhorn
                • Feb 2007

Thanks

Thanks for all the info, I've come up with a 2 fold resolution. First is the front doors can actually be tee-pee'd i.e., one door has an over lapping flap that I can use against the other so the doors don't actually close all the way and allow for some good ventalation. Second is that I found a fan at a semi local Hi-Fi store that I will alos put in the cabinet. It's wired short to be plugged into a switched device, but neither my Pre-Amp or Amp had an accessory \ switched plug spot... Cable box saved the day.

Comment

• eljr
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by greenhorn
                  Here's the deal. When I first got my Pre-Amp and Amp the Amp didn't go into the cabinet with the Pre-Amp, DVD Player, Cable Box...I had it outside as I didn't think it would fit well.

Wife really prefered that it would go in the cabinet, so I ditched the VCR, did some re-arranging and in it went. Have been checking to see how warm it's been getting and today it was warmer than I would have liked.

I looked on line and see there is a few differnt ways to go. Basic draw fan to pull out air, ducted fans, plates with fans to go under or over the component...

Unfortunatly the cabinet is enclosed for the most part and the wife likes it It's a two door deal with 2 sides, one shelf on each side. Two front door are wooden framed with glass. Top, bottom and sides are solid. Back has 2 slots (one on each side) about 1" wide x 2' high, basically cabling slots.

Anybody using a basically enclosed cabinet with some type of fan(s) of ventilation scheme?
                  I have had recomended, PQFan 29db about a $100.00 a pair with guards and power cord. They are very quiet about 30db.
                  What you got back home, lil' sister, to play yer fuzzy warbles on? Pitiful, portable picnic players?
                  Come with uncle & hear all proper! Hear angels trumpets & devils trombones. You are invited!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"