System Hum from Tuner, Help! (I need somebody! Not just anybody?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nayr
    • Jun 2005

System Hum from Tuner, Help! (I need somebody! Not just anybody?)

I got a Rotel RT-850A tuner recently. At first I didn't notice, but whenever it is plugged in it causes a hum in my system that is quite annoying. :x If I unplug the RCA connections, the hum goes away! It doesn't have to be on the tuner input, and even if the volume is at zero, the hum is still there.

I have a basic line conditioner, I've tried it plugged in that, but the hum persists.

Once, and only once, I plugged it in to listen and there was no hum! I left it plugged in and the hum returned about an hour later. :roll:

Does anybody have an idea of what the problem could be, and how to fix it? It would be a shame to get rid of this tuner as the sound is very good and I got it for dirt dirt cheap by chance.

Thanks! ;x(
  • zmanbands
    • May 2007

Same wall outlet

If everything is not plugged into the same wall outlet try that. Don't overload the circuit.

Comment

• Russ L
      • Jul 2006

Often the video units have a different ground setup than audio units that do not interact well. Do you have a moniter/TV on that circuit? Try unplugging it. They are usually the culprits and can be highlighted by adding a new audio unit. When I added my Cambridge Audio 840 CD player it highlighted a ground problem my CRT was introducing to my power circuit. Try unplugging your TV or/and your TV/satellite cable.
      Russ

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"