• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Helium speakers

Yes! it's true....

Check these beasts out.... Got to be one of the nuttiest speaker concepts I've ever seen.

I remember reading about them once..... apparently they produce dangerous levels of ozone indoors....

Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
    • Nov 2005

HI,
    I have actually heard the Plasmatronic speakers at a dealer show room in Albuquerque. And I know someone who owned a pair. The speakers had been sold before I met this person so I didn't get a chance to hear a second pair.

My impression of the plasma tweeter was it was the best I had ever heard. Astounding!! The remainder of the spectrum below the tweeter frequencies was ho-hum at best. Tubby bass and smeared midrange. Of course, the logistics of keeping the speaker supplied with gas was a problem. In a darkened room the speakers, with their plasmas glowing blue and modulated by the volume, appeared to be from a different planet. Very beautiful and very strange.

But the only part of the speaker that was plasma based, the tweeter, was excellent. Not such a nutty idea in a world that considers SET amps a total solution, right? There is no doubt that these speakers are the best conversation piece I have ever seen. That, plus the technical accomplishment of producing high quality sound pressure waves by a glowing gas plasma is pretty amazing and should not be discounted. These things were technical marvels.

I think you are overstating the danger of the produced ozone. Yes, it did produce ozone but, in my experience, it was not dangerous or much of an issue. This opinion was also voiced by the former owner.

Sparky

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

:jawdrop: 8O :wtf:
      Greg

Comment

• 8thDwarf
        • Feb 2005

I read that Acapella is now using some version of the plasma tweeter in thier speakers.
        My limited understanding is it uses a modulated electrical arc to produce sound. Wowser.
        I have arced a high voltage line and heard the resulting (((POP))) that makes.

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Karma
          But the only part of the speaker that was plasma based, the tweeter, was excellent. Not such a nutty idea in a world that considers SET amps a total solution, right? There is no doubt that these speakers are the best conversation piece I have ever seen. That, plus the technical accomplishment of producing high quality sound pressure waves by a glowing gas plasma is pretty amazing and should not be discounted. These things were technical marvels.

I think you are overstating the danger of the produced ozone. Yes, it did produce ozone but, in my experience, it was not dangerous or much of an issue. This opinion was also voiced by the former owner.
          That's really cool that you've heard them. I'd love to hear them. They are no doubt a radical and eclectic concept but brilliant none the less. In fairness though I don't really think I'm overstating anything! I don't know enough about them to state an opinion, I just recounted something I read about them. That's all. :T
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"