X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

Brothers In Arms and other TT Stuff

Hi there,

First off, I'd like to really really thank (read: Damn you all!!! ) out there who have address and answered my (most amateurish) queries about vinyl. I've jumped headlong into it and there's no getting out now! But more on that later in the post...

... Have any of you had a chance to hear the 180 gm reissue of Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms (Warner 49377)? I just got a copy, and was just slightly disappointed with it. I still have an old Pioneer table with a Shure MX97e cartridge, playing through my mac and KHorn combo, and found the music to overpower Knopfler's vocals. In fact, at times, the vocals are completely drowned out. Is it my setup, or the disc?

Now, back to the program!

I've finally jumped the gun, bit the bullet and what else have you, and ordered the Project Xpression Superpak... which is the Project Xpression table, a Speed Box, and an Ortofon Rondo Red cartridge. Along with that, I've told my distributor to load the Linn Adikt onto the arm and send the Rondo Red separately to me. And I've also ordered the TubeBox phono stage that they have, again by Pro-ject Audio. I was thinking about using the Rondo Red on my current table and arm. Any experience with any of the above setup?

Needless to say, I am BEYOND excited. Any opinions will be appreciated.

-Fauzi
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

I have the Stan Ricker 180g half speed master version and it is fantastic. I use it to show people how musical vinyl is. I put the CD on at the same time and switch between the two. To see the jaws drop and eyes widen is a nice expression to see when comparing the two.

Comment

• meltdown
      • Apr 2006

Brothers in Arms

Pulled out an original pressing and played it. Marks voice and guitar seemed pretty equal to me. Didnt notice any drowning out. I would think that the 180 gr. is pressed just like the original.

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by meltdown
        I would think that the 180 gr. is pressed just like the original.
        HI,
        Sorry to say that there is no reason to make that assumption. In some cases the re-release is better than the original. But in others, not. There are so many variables involved that the range of quality can be from not nearly as good as the original to better in all respects.

For example, I recently bought the 180 gm re-release of Joni Mitchels Blue. The mastering is quite good but different than the original. The record sounds a bit shrill in places and I sense a slight loss of detail and presense in Joni's voice. This would be the responsibility of the mastering engineer and the quality of the master tape. But the pressing itself is first class of this classic recording; better than the original. The vinyl is very quiet. The recording engineer obviously got the job done well. On the Re-Release scale of 1 to 10 (my scale-I just invented it! ) I would say this one would rate an 8. But I'm very glad I bought it.

Now I'm waiting for a re-release of Ricky Lee Jones Pop Pop. I have the CD but not the vinyl.

Sparky

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Karma
          For example, I recently bought the 180 gm re-release of Joni Mitchels Blue.
          A lovely album.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"