X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Real world audio clubs - would you join one

Many of you would have seen the post about the Athens Audio Club on this forum. Have you ever thought about joining one, and if you have what is your experience?

I went to my first meeting of a local club this weekend and I partly wish I had found this club earlier. The old saying that nothing beats experience is so very true. These online discussions are good but if you can visit someone's home and experience their system for yourself you can learn so much more.

The meeting I went to featured a demo comparing vinyl, home burnt 24/48 DVD=A, commercial CDs and files directly off the computer hard drive. It was a very eye opening (ear opening ?) experience. Not 100% scientific but it seemed to make a good case for vinyl (although the turntable was worth about 3 times the price of the digital gear so jumping to conclusions was dangerous)

There was a bias towards 2 channel and vinyl in the group but it was all very good natured so I was not burnt at the stake for being a digital guy with a home theatre attached to my 2 channel setup (the bulk of the money in my system was spent on 2 channel audio)

All up the experience was great, the food great too, although I am told that the bar was raised at this event. It was also one of the few places where you don't get told to sssshhhhh every time you talk audio. Great fun and highly recommended.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
  • Pez
    • May 2004

Sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to partake in something like this in my area but dont know of any local clubs. The only time I get to hear other systems is when I go into a store as none of my friends are into HT like myself.

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Briz, I might not join one of these clubs (are there any down here near the South Pole?) but I would definitely read anything that you post on what you've learnt at the meetings.

Nigel.

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Vicarious Kiwi hey!! There are some things that cannot be achieved from the comfort of one's own sweet spot.

One of the advantages that I did not mention is being in a group of folks that are know for their propensity to upgrade. This can mean that some nice pieces of second hand gear with known history can become available at very reasonable prices. It was by this method that a quality set of interconnects landed in my system just at a time when I can barely afford CDs let alone upgrades.

Of course there can also be drawbacks. Some of these guys (it is predominantly middle aged guys of course - not that I can talk), ok most of these guys have really nice systems that have been nutured over time. Green eyed monster syndrome is best avoided by aiming to find the secrets behind their successes (thats the theory anyway).

I have yet to ascertain if there are any 804s or even B&W based systems in the club. I would be great to hear another system based around my speakers, just to hear how it compares.

Next meeting is a month away. In the mean time it would be interesting to hear of anyone else's experiences.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• GregLett
          • May 2005

Let's start tri state area club
          Greg

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

Originally posted by GregLett
            Let's start tri state area club
            Count me in.

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
              Vicarious Kiwi hey!! There are some things that cannot be achieved from the comfort of one's own sweet spot.

One of the advantages that I did not mention is being in a group of folks that are know for their propensity to upgrade. This can mean that some nice pieces of second hand gear with known history can become available at very reasonable prices. It was by this method that a quality set of interconnects landed in my system just at a time when I can barely afford CDs let alone upgrades.

Of course there can also be drawbacks. Some of these guys (it is predominantly middle aged guys of course - not that I can talk), ok most of these guys have really nice systems that have been nutured over time. Green eyed monster syndrome is best avoided by aiming to find the secrets behind their successes (thats the theory anyway).

I have yet to ascertain if there are any 804s or even B&W based systems in the club. I would be great to hear another system based around my speakers, just to hear how it compares.

Next meeting is a month away. In the mean time it would be interesting to hear of anyone else's experiences.
              Well I now know what vicarious means, which just goes to show that I'm benefiting from this club idea already!

If you can barely afford CDs at the moment I suggest that you trade in your 804s for a pair of CDM9NTs. As you will see from this review they are just as good and you'll have plenty of extra dough for CDs and interconnects:

http://www.timefordvd.com/hardware/r...speakers.shtml.

I suggest that you table this review for discussion at your next meeting, with best wishes from all of us here in New Zealand.

Nigel.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

I should clarify that by vicarious I was using the meaning that you were experiencing through someone else, not that it was at the expense of someone else (which I understand is another meaning of the word). We are all here because we enjoy sharing about hifi and the like.

RE the 9NT being a close match, I like the arguement put forward by a wise guy when his choice of super high end speakers was questioned "Maybe, but I just like the look of them". If I could not give up the interconnects after a lengthy audition how am I going to give up my lovely 804s, particularly as the system is just starting to really come together. Fear not, the pay packet fairy will soon come to my aid to help with CDs.

If the club interests you they have a small website at:

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

I assumed the former meaning of the word.

So you're a banana bender eh? I see from the club's Web site that the territory includes Byron Bay. That's where I'm heading today. I'll probably rub shoulders with some of the members at the festival.

Nigel.

Comment

• joetama
                    • May 2006

I've been wanting to start a Audiophile Club for a while. But, it is hard to find people with real knowledge when you are in college...
                    -Joe

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

There was a very nice club going in Houston that I took part in when I lived there that was primarily headed by our own Burke Strickland. We had meetings every 4 months or so, generally starting with a good lunch and then going to one (or more) of our local retailers to browse, listen, buy, whatever. It was an education experience in many ways as we had some extremely knowlegable members including a reviewer for one of the national video magazines. I miss the club, and many of the members, a lot.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

I will have to ask the guys in the club how things got started. It may even be possible to use this thread to get things started in your local area, after all being a local thing it would not compete with business on this site, in fact it may actually push up visits (and maybe advertising revenue). Don't know how the administrators would feel about that, hey David? People could report back here on their experiences and learning at club meetings. That would certainly address comments from one or two people that this site was becoming less interesting for them.

Some of our local retailers host the meetings occasionally, maybe if you have a relationship with a store owner you could ask them about the concept.

Bigburner, hope you have fun in Byron. They have great festivals down there at Easter.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"