X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

HT furniture

I was checking out some plasma TV's the other day (that's another story) and saw some HT furniture that seemed pretty nice by a company called JSP. Anyone have any knowledge or good/bad experience with them?

I'm getting ready to buy a new equipment rack and was going to pull the trigger on a Salamander Quad 20, but this JSP stuff seemed very appealing in the nice wood furniture sense. Also seemed pretty solidly built...Curious if anyone's heard of them.

Thanks!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

JSP - Joe Six Pack? :rofl:

I have two Salamander racks myself. Love 'em. Just $$$$$.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Gump
      • Sep 2005

That's a good one Chris!

I have no idea what the acronym really stands for, so that sounds good to me.

The salamander is great stuff no doubt, but this furniture seemed a little nicer from a WAF appeal etc..

If I was a little more computer literate I'd post the web site. Anyway, I guess (due to the response) nobody's heard of them.? Thanks anyway!!

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

When it comes to HT furniture I am more concerned with how it will fit my needs while still maintaining a sense of decor in the living space (since I dont have a dedicated HT room). HT furniture can get expensive so if the JSP looks good and fits your needs go for it.

Comment

• gianni
          • Nov 2002

Try something different: www.Hookerfurniture.com.

Found this yesterday. Well made furniture, nice looking, functional, generously deep for components, looks like furniture (high WAF). You can find this at regular furniture stores, check their website for a dealer locator.

Very nice with many styles, colors, and sizes. Fairly well designed for AV use, lacking only some of the hardware and features of only the most expensive AV furniture - most of which you can add yourself easliy if you really have to have that gizmo. Best of all, it's about 1/2 the price of the popular brands you see in AV stores.

I just found this yesterday and from now on I will always look here before I buy something from a traditional AV furniture supplier. And believe me, I'm picky about my AV furniture. The only real weakness is if you are looking for racks and I don't consider that furniture.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Gump, I'm not familiar with the JSP line of furniture. Just empirically, I can recommend the BDI Icon 9425 stand. It's heavy glass and black metal with a top shelf rating of 120 pounds. I've got my 50" plasma sitting on it and couldn't be happier with the look and quality.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• mrohde
              • Jan 2007

I have used Sanus on my system. Worth a look.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                • Dec 2006

I just ordered some furniture from a company called Visu a month ago, and am waiting for them to finish making it.

THe glass half will hold two units on each shelf, and then the wood is on a track that slides over and can hold another four units. It's vented in the back and I have room to mount cooling fans if I need to (don't really think I will.) It's modular so I can add more to it ifn' I need to. What you see there is only 1400.00, and when I compared it to a lot of the furniture out there, the quality is great.
                Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Very nice, Eric! :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                    • Dec 2006

My furniture came today.

:cry:

I measured it all out, but I failed to take in to account the knobs on my two Sony 400 disc cd players. They prevent the glass doors from closing.

I am an idiot.

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Oh No! T-Funk!

We got to find some way to make it work!

Is it possible to make some cuts in the back panel?

Give them a call, maybe they have a some ideas.

Man, that thing so pretty, you have to find a way to make it work!
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                        • Dec 2006

I've made a decision about my new HT furniture.. I'm going to use it for fire wood.

No... I don't want to cut some of the back out because it's too pretty to mangle. Instead I've put the players on top of the cabinet, side by side. They actually look pretty good like that.

In the long run though, I'm doing away with them as part of the main stereo setup. I've decided to make a dedicated music server. So now I have to go read the string about music servers. I looked up a few brands, but think I'm leaning towards buying parts and making one, as I cannot afford the McIntosh. :cry:

You can get a terabyte hard drive for like 500 bucks now!

Comment

• Snap
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2005

Hooker makes some nice stuff $$$$$ great WAF.
                          Stanley, and darn........trying to remember all the crazy crap my wife made me look a while back........

Crap.....either way you are looking at 2-4K for a good looking AV stand. (the ones that I were looking at would hold a 60". That is if you go with Hooker or Stanely.

There were 2 others that I just can not think of right now.....
                          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Gump
                            • Sep 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

After dragging my family to about a half dozen furniture stores and searching a half zillion web sites I decided on (drumroll insert please) ---The Salamander! Yup, right back to square one.

Actually, I researched their new "Chameleon" line and was quite impressed with both the look as well as their accessories (built in fans with remote thermostats, Panamax power conditioners, etc.). Probably going with the "Geneva" model.

The only down side was I wanted a base at least 80 inches wide due to my wide wall (18ft) as well as having a Pioneer 60" plasma mounted above it. I felt that anything smaller would not fill the wall properly. Unfortunately, the widest Chameleon model is only 64" wide.

So, I'm going to get 2 of the 44" Geneva models and put them side by side for a total of 88". I think it should work OK and look pretty cool.

Sorry about your trouble with the Visu furniture Eric, it looks like nice stuff.

Thanks again for the input everybody!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"