X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickster1972
    • Feb 2005

Subwoofer as Furniture?

Hi All:

I was thinking the other day about how I'd like to add another subwoofer to my HT setup without pissing off my lovely spouse, and I thought, gee, we need an end table to organize all of those People, Parents and Cosmo magazines she collects (plus my collection of electronics magazines).... so why not integrate the two? Has anyone tried to build a piece of furniture that contains a subwoofer? Perhaps a ported downfiring version would be appropriate here... This would make a great cocktail table if you're into "shaken, not stirred" refreshments.

Perhaps refinishing an existing end table, etc. and retrofitting it with a subwoofer?

Any thoughts or design considerations would be appreciated.
    "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

People have used subs as coffee tables and end tables for decades. I don't have any specific links because this isn't something I've had any interest in, but I'm sure a google search would turn up plenty of hits.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Herc
      • Jul 2005

If you make it big enough you can call it an appliance

Comment

• thylantyr
        • Nov 2004

Always wanted to make a sub couch.

Comment

• JoshK
          • Mar 2005

I have been considering making a large sub ottoman. You can watch movies and get a foot massage at the same time.

Comment

• joecarrow
            • Apr 2005

I've been thinking of this as well (though my projects have been going nowhere fast lately)- and two of the most interesting ideas I see for it are these-

First, using two woofers firing in opposition will cancel out the newtonian reaction force, and the cabinet will shake a lot less. This is key if there will be drinks on the sub.

Second, a bandpass design gets the woofer cone out of sight, and if it is a slot port, the whole thing can look even less like a speaker.

I wish I could remember some fun links- but they're definitely out there.
            -Joe Carrow

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

I've already seen a JBL sub that was a coffee table of some kind. But it was a *long* time ago... so I don't remember any details.

Comment

• mickster1972
                • Feb 2005

Thanks, guys. I found this link for a commercial product upon a basic google search: http://www.performancefurniture.com/st/default.html. This is definitely somethig that I will pursue, but a DIY version, of course. If I come up with anything worthy of note, I will post results for others.
                "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• DarrenT
                  • Jul 2005

Here is my old sub as a piece of furniture

Here is a link to my build site for a sub you might get some ideas from.

Here is a pic during construction. It is a Tempest 214L enclosure.

Darren Thomas
                  www.garagehobbies.com

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Tha'ts pretty nice, in an American contemporary kind of style.

Me, I've always been a Danish Modern kind of guy, which considering how long that's been around, is something of an oxymoron, huh?

~Jon
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• DarrenT
                      • Jul 2005

Thanks Jon,

That was my first sub project. I've built several since but haven't had a chance to update my site.

I just sent you a PM about the Modula MTM and Center... I have the itch to build again.
                      Darren Thomas
                      www.garagehobbies.com

Comment

• rnoble
                        • Sep 2004

Hi guys,

Sure sub's can be used as furniture, here's mine which have a very high SAF. I plan to make a twin for my new HT room. The coffee table idea is even better IMO as mine is more like a side table.

Mine is also a tempest but sealed.

Cheers
                        Rod
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Marzen
                          • Jul 2005

I have a large 2-10 forward firing ported cab that works as a sofa table, behind the love seat. I'm not happy with the driver selection, so it works better for 'impact' than critical sound reproduction. I'll go with a 12" sealed next time for a better music subwoofer.
                          Marz
                          What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• Andy_G
                            • Jul 2005

one problem...

I had a Decware WO bin. At one stage I used it as a coffee table. Unfortunately, because the floor in the old house sloped a bit, when the sub was working coffee mugs had a tendancy to work their way to the edge.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"