Does furniture obstruct modal resonances and/or LF propagation?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thadman
    • Jan 2007

Does furniture obstruct modal resonances and/or LF propagation?

Does furniture (ie couches, tables, etc) obstruct modal resonances (ie 20-150hz) or LF sound propagation. Suppose a subwoofer is placed beneath a couch or under a table, does the furniture attenuate its output or direct its energy to different areas of the room (ie excitement of different modes)?
  • joetama
    • May 2006

I've got a coffee table between me and my speakers and I've tested it with and without and I really honestly can't hear a difference.

The only difference I can tell is me being able to view all my equipment screens... Which I like to do, so I tend to move the table when listening to two channel. But, I really don't think it makes that much of a difference, unless it is a major obstruction and it is very absorbent.
    -Joe

Comment

• bikedave
      • Aug 2007

I'm not an expert, but my experience was a fairly drastic change. I went from a large 25x25x9 living room with plaster walls and ceilings and a 3/4" thick hardwood floor to a tiny little 12x8x8 bedroom with carpeting and a bed right up next to the sub. I thought the bass was going to get better from my Exodus XJ-15 powered sonosub but the output was probably cut by half or more. I thought that I had hooked everything up wrong when I moved. I wish I could put it somewhere else but don't think I can...

It was thunderous in the huge hard living room, scary really, and it is now sorrowfully tame in bedroom. Such are the joys of moving from a house to an apartment...

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

joetama: A horizontal surface like a coffee table will replace longer, LF only (carpet) reflections from the floor with short, HF reflection if it is between the listener and speakers. It can have an effect on overall balance and image height.

bikedave: A 24x25 room will have some generous low frequency modes that can 'enhance' bass response. With a room as small as 12x8 will not have such LF modes.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• bikedave
          • Aug 2007

Thanks Kal, and Thadman, don't mean to hijack your thread but hopefully my questions help illuminate....

I'm going to try and get my sub out from behind the giant bass trap that is the bed as well. Maybe rework it into a front firing sub... we'll see

Comment

• bikedave
            • Aug 2007

Here is my media room, as you can see, the subs is backed into a corner and and surround by a bass trap bed. Not optimum in the least, but I am a little limited for space unless I kick out the bed...

Click image for larger version

Name:	MediaRoom.webp
Views:	21
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	944079
            Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:45 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• BobEllis
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Murphy bed?

Comment

• Xander
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by bikedave
                Here is my media room, as you can see, the subs is backed into a corner and and surround by a bass trap bed. Not optimum in the least, but I am a little limited for space unless I kick out the bed...

Click image for larger version  Name:	MediaRoom.webp Views:	0 Size:	8.4 KB ID:	944079

Sleep on the couch man. You have to sacrifice for better SQ :B
                Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:46 Wednesday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• bikedave
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by BobEllis
                  Murphy bed?
                  Sorry bud, not catching this one....?

Originally posted by Xander
                  Sleep on the couch man. You have to sacrifice for better SQ
                  Yeah, its actually not used most of the time, its just a spare bed, as well as a darn comfortable way to watch movies sometimes. Time to try and convince the wife!

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bikedave
                    Sorry bud, not catching this one....?
                    It was a suggestion: http://www.murphybedcompany.com/
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"