X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vatulele
    • Dec 2006

transformer degrading

I have the chance to buy a 110v US market phono stage but to run it here in the UK will obviously need a transformer to reduce the voltage. Is this in any way going to compromise performance ?
  • Gregm
    • Mar 2007

OK, with one caveat

Should work OK with a 230->110 tranny. One exception is how robust is the PS: a 60 cycles PS can get away with less VA than a 50c one. So, if the phono's PS is robust there's really no problem whatsoever. If it's a cost-cutting variant of a normal PS, then you may have a slightly "weaker" phono.
    Only sick music makes money today; our big theatres subsist on Wagner! (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

• vatulele
      • Dec 2006

ok thanks, I will check on the spec. Its a Lehmann black cube that I am looking at which I would guess to be designed for both multiple voltages and HZ settings to make it saleable worldwide. I will try and find out.

Comment

• Gregm
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vatulele
        ok thanks, I will check on the spec. Its a Lehmann black cube that I am looking at
        Vatulele -- isn't the Lehmann made in Germany? Why on earth buy it fm the US and face postage, EU import taxes, etc not to mention the cost of a tranny???
        Only sick music makes money today; our big theatres subsist on Wagner! (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

• vatulele
          • Dec 2006

It was an e-bay sale, in the end I left it alone, will wait for a UK spec version in case there are any potential problems.

I use e-bay and other used hifi sales sites as a means of trying out and upgrading. Ive got a Trichord Dino at mom and would like to try the Lehmann against it head to head. I can effectively do that for free by buying second hand and then selling whichever one I dont want to keep. I cant justify spending hundreds of pounds every time I fancy a bit of comparitive testing.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"