X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Getting rid of a nasty buzz

A nasty buzz recently developed in my system. It started after some rewiring to accommodate a new external DAC. The buzz increased as the system warmed up. After an hour I could just hear the buzz from my listening position with the volume turned down to zero. As you will appreciate this was a totally unacceptable situation.

So this morning I decided to fix the problem, which I have, and it's taken me most of the day.

I started with the usual process of disconnecting and reconnecting each piece of equipment in turn to find the culprit. This process revealed that my subwoofer was the cause of the buzz.

In my system the subwoofer is wired in between the preamp and the amp so that I can use the 80Hz filter in the sub to offload low frequencies from my floorstanders. I use two pairs of 9-foot interconnects for this purpose. I disconnected these interconnects and replaced them with some old ones. The buzz disappeared.

From this I deduced that the original interconnects around the back of my gear were probably picking up a stray electrical signal. I therefore decided to rewire my whole system so that all power cables are completely separate from interconnects and speaker cables.

My system is installed in a piece of furniture, and any adjustments are a pain in the butt. To provide the necessary separation I needed to drill a series of holes in the back to accommodate the power cables only. This was followed by the rewiring, which was painfully slow.

Anyway I finished an hour ago and I've been listening to my system since then. No buzz!!

The moral of the story: keep your power cables separate from your interconnects.

Nigel.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Nicely done Nigel. I had to send my Pre-Pro and Amp in for service, so I am going to spend some time to rewiring my spaghetti mess.

If you can't keep your power cable separate from your interconnects, some say you can cross them at 90 degree angle.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• sysop
      • Feb 2007

I had a nasty sub buzz and took the route you did and many hours later f***** buzz/hum was still there.

Culprit was a ground loop from the Comcast cable. Bought a $12 ground loop isolator and poof buzz gone

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Time and work that was well invested.
        A sense of accomplishment, the satisfaction of knowing order exists in an area that may matter only to those like us, and the peace of mind you will have every time you sit back to relax and listen that only you, and we, could appreciate. The typical obsessive-compulsive behavior that defines my addiction to the hobby.

Well Done!
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kobus
          • Aug 2005

Nigel, was the buzz comming from the sub?.

Kobus

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
            Time and work that was well invested.
            A sense of accomplishment, the satisfaction of knowing order exists in an area that may matter only to those like us, and the peace of mind you will have every time you sit back to relax and listen that only you, and we, could appreciate. The typical obsessive-compulsive behavior that defines my addiction to the hobby.

Well Done!

I've got tears in my eyes... (I'm welling up over here) I love you guys...

-

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Kobus
              Nigel, was the buzz comming from the sub?.

Kobus
              No, from the floorstanders.

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward

-
                Andrew, when we have the group hug we'll be sure to invite you!

Nigel.

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Well, I think the whole thing is a buzz-kill . . .

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Brandon B
                    Well, I think the whole thing is a buzz-kill . . .

BB
                    Boooooooo... :tomato:
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward

-
                      Yeh, I love you too, Andrew. And No, you still can’t borrow my Benz Ruby cartridge.
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

Buzz off Brandon!!! :rofl:
                        This was suppose to be a big group hug with tears etc.. Now you spoiled the moment!!! :E ( Just kidding) :W
                        That is what I call A Buzz kill!!
                        I am getting buzzed tonight!! That's for sure!! :W
                        Cheers and be Happy!!!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"