X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tallen2_34
    • Jul 2004

Speaker Buzz and Dimmer Switch

Ok, my friend has his nice new turnkey Rotel Home Theater system installed with Paradigm Studio 100's. There is a buzz in the system that is being caused by a dimmer switch in the room. Is there a quick and easy way to solve this? Such as, buying a high quality dimmer switch (as opposed to rewiring to a new circuit). I did the typical search of all things internet and didn't really find a solution. I know you guys know your stuff.
    Thanks
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

You can try a higher quality dimmer, but you most likely have a more serious power issue. I would try running a dedicated circuit to the equipment and the TV (if they are in different areas). Or get the dimmer on a separate circuit if that's easier.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yup, unfortnately the best solutions are rarely the easiest. A better switch might work but as Kevin stated the best solution is to isolate it and your gear from eachother.

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• chrispy35
        • Feb 2004

What about an AC filter? A typical dimmer switch uses a triac to basically chop out an adjustable portion of the 60 Hz sinewave. This 'chop' would cause to much higher frequency noise than 60 Hz which may not be adequately filtered by the system as is.

Check out http://home.howstuffworks.com/dimmer-switch.htm. There's a section on dimmer buzzing.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

If you don't want to run a dedicated circuit, here are a couple of quick thoughts:

a) lower the wattage/improve quality on the bulbs.

b) Just use an on/off switch or improve the current switch, Lutron comes to mind.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• GosonFletchy
            • May 2004

Just install a UPS and see if that helps. I am betting that it will solve the problem.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• Tallen2_34
              • Jul 2004

Any recommendations??? Thanks

Originally posted by GosonFletchy
              Just install a UPS and see if that helps. I am betting that it will solve the problem.

G.

Comment

• aarsoe
                • May 2004

Most dimmers are made using a carbon slide resistor, and thay are cheap and effective, but makes a lot of noise, and on top also rfi.

Bang & Olufsen (B&O) makes a remote controlled light dimmer, that works differently - so there is no noise. Downside is that it is pretty expensive and I dont know if it is availble in your part of the world.
                You could try it (if availeble). I am betting that most B&O dealers will take it back if it does not work to your satisfaction..

Comment

• chrispy35
                  • Feb 2004

How would the slide resistor in the dimmer be the main noise source? It hardly conducts any current at all; it just charges/discharges the firing cap that turns on the triac and the triac is the main noise source. Check out the how-stuff-works link and the 'Dimmer Buzzing' section in particular.

Also, in regards to the UPS suggestion, it must be an inline UPS that is always generating power from it's inverter in order for it to work rather than the type that switches over from the normal line to the inverter during a power failure; otherwise the line noise will just go right through as it does now.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                    • May 2004

I do not have a UPS myself, yet, but I have heard good things. Anyone have any suggestions on any particular models to look at?

G.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"