X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deke
    • Dec 2005

Receiver / Pre-Pro Recommendation

I've been running a Marantz SR-7000 as a pre-pro / processor through a Rotel RMB-1075. The Marantz is fine but getting a little long in the tooth (or maybe it's just the itch). I use it 50/50 for HT and music.

In any case, I'm thinking of replacing it and am thinking of buying used. Any recommendations on what I should look at? I don't need HDMI, but don't want something completely obsolete. Price range is about what a used Marantz SR-8500 would go for ($750 or below).
  • goldear
    • Aug 2003

Deke,

Since you already have an amp--and don't need HDMI, I would suggest looking at some older, used high-end SSPs that were known primarily for their music reproduction. This does not mean that HT will be secondary; on the contrary, I've discovered that many of these older SSPs excel at HT as well.

Some brands that come to mind are EAD (Encore/Ovation Plus-8), Aragon Soundstage, Proceed AVP, ADA, etc. While these are older units, they are by no means obsolete since they are still some of the best "sounding" pre/pros available today. Many of them also offer 7.1 processing (except the original Proceed) so you can take advantage of a full-fledge HT system.

Ironically, as someone who has chased after the latest and greatest over the past 15+ years (Fosgate, Citation, Proceed, Anthem, Parasound Halo, Lex MC12, Cary, etc.), I myself picked up an older, upgraded Aragon Soundstage only to discover that it is one of the most revealing and accurate SSPs I've owned. Because its music reproduction is so transparent and clean, HT is that much more dynamic and detailed. These were some of the top-line SSPs for their time (retailing for at least $4k)--and can now be had in the $700-$1200 price range (my buddy just got an Aragon for $800). If you can afford it, you won't be disappointed.
    Chris B

Comment

• deke
      • Dec 2005

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"