X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marano
    • May 2006

Thinking about getting into Vinyl

So I was thinking about going for a Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player but thought getting into Vinyl might be more fun. I've been doing a bit of research and will probably go with either the Pro-Ject Debut III or Rega P1 for a turn table (unless someone can recommend something better in the same price range), Does anyone have any opinions on these two turn tables? I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Also does anyone own both the RCD-1072 and one of the tables mentioned above? If so how do the tables above compare to the RCD-1072? I am also going to need some kind of Phono-Preamp since my Rotel RSX-1057 does not have one built-in and have been looking at the Rotel RQ-970 or the Pro-Ject Phono Box, anyone have any opinions on these? Is there anything else I should be looking out in their price range? Also what is everyone's opinion on turn tables with integrated Phono-Preamps (I think there is a version of the Debut III that has this)?
  • twitch54
    • Apr 2006

Marano, hello, thinking about vinyl ???? Love it !!!! Do you presently own many LP's ? If so I would recomend you spend a little more money on a TT or even consider a good used table, Rega P-3, Music Hall mmf-7, come to mind. There are many good used tables available from folks who have gone the upgrade path and they merit consideration.

as far as comparing the 1072 vs analog, there are alot of vairables. One thing to keep in mind, if you have quality well preserved LP's then depending how much you want to spend on your analog set-up you can EASILY surpass the ability of the 1072 CD player, not to mention many others costing alot more as well. I for one think the 1072 is one of the better sub 1k players on the market and at it's price point a turntable/arm/cartridge combination would probably have it's work cut out to keep up. Again , better used stuff on the "Gon" makes sense !!

Good Luck, keep us posted.
    Dave

Comment

• marano
      • May 2006

I have no LP's this will actually be my first turn table, I was born in the late 70's and cassette tapes were becoming popular so I didn't have much exposure. I really wanted to buy new but I'll take a look at Audiogon and see what they have.

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by marano
        I really wanted to buy new but I'll take a look at Audiogon and see what they have.
        I would strongly advise against buying used. A used TT could sour you on the whole experience. Quite simply, TTs are mechanical beasts with the precision and delacacy of a swiss watch.....don't ship well. Also, the advice and setup expertise of a local dealer is invaluable. The slightest misadjustment can ruin the whole experience. It's definitly worth the extra expense. Leave the mail order route for your future upgrades.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• twitch54
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DrJRapp
          I would strongly advise against buying used. A used TT could sour you on the whole experience. Quite simply, TTs are mechanical beasts with the precision and delacacy of a swiss watch.....don't ship well. Also, the advice and setup expertise of a local dealer is invaluable. The slightest misadjustment can ruin the whole experience. It's definitly worth the extra expense. Leave the mail order route for your future upgrades.
          Some points are well taken but on a whole I disagree. A knowledgeable,prudent shopper will do very well in the used market and besides with all the setup guides, videos and tools available today you can be assurd of a good sounding rig. One good point Jerry makes is "shipping", unless the previous owner has the original box and related packing materials(and knows how to put them in place) I say buy local !

As far as your local dealer , now that's a crap shoot !! example....Tweeter, don't for one minute think the average knucklehead there has even a clue as to what analog is !!! Michael Fremer's DVD on analog turntable set-up is better than alot if not most so called "Audio Salons".

My viynl days started back in the late fifties/early sixty's listening on a Stromberg Carlson Console stereo, so I've seen alot of stuff come and go but I can tell you without reservation that the analog revolution is as strong now as ever ! more great entry and mid priced combinations than ever before !!
          Dave

Comment

• twitch54
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by marano
            I have no LP's this will actually be my first turn table, I was born in the late 70's and cassette tapes were becoming popular so I didn't have much exposure. I really wanted to buy new but I'll take a look at Audiogon and see what they have.
            You're the same age as my son and I continue to be delighted by the number of young people that realize what good viynl is all about !!

if you're really set on new then as I've said before....in the sub 1k bracket it's pretty tough to beat Rega, both for analog and Cd !!

FYI, there is a used mmf-7 on the "Gon" now for a asking price of $895 (I think) from an authorised dealer. Anything close to $800 delivered would be a good deal !!
            Last edited by twitch54; 24 December 2006, 13:41 Sunday.
            Dave

Comment

• marano
              • May 2006

Originally posted by twitch54
              Youre the same age as my son and I continue to be delighted by the number of young people that realize what good viynl is all about !!

if your really set on new then as I've said before....in the sub 1k bracket it's pretty tough to beat Rega, both for analog and Cd !!

FYI, there is a used mmf-7 on the "Gon" now for a asking price of $895 (I think) from an authorised dealer. Anything close to $800 delivered would be a good deal !!
              I would like to keep the whole thing around $500 including the Phono Pre-Amp (maybe a little more if there is something substantially better for another hundred)

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"