X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ericwatson
    • Nov 2006

Looking for a good pre/pro that equal's a DAC 1

I want to hook up a mac mini with a fiber optical to take benifit of bass management i use two small sat speakers and a subwofer for 2 channel music
    and also want to use it for surround sound movies I am looking for a preamp-processor that matches the benchmark dac 1 sound qaulity
  • ericwatson
    • Nov 2006

dose anyone know this

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Changing the title and moving the thread to a general audio forum. A lot of people add a DAC 1 to Rotel products to improve the sound, so I doubt you will get many recommendations just in the Rotel forum.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ericwatson
        • Nov 2006

I cant belive no one has an opinion

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

ericwatson,

This is not a chat room. People don't hang out here just waiting to pounce on the latest question someone posts. One day is NOT an unreasonable "delay" in getting a reponse.even in an area where people DO have an opinion. And frankly, impatient follow-up posts expressing surprise that no one is "jumping right on it" puts a lot of people off who might have otherwise been inclined to participate in the thread.

Having now expressed my opinion about that, I also have an opinion on your original topic about the need for an external DAC. Many pre/pros do benefit from an external DAC, even a relatively inexpensive one like the Benchmark DAC-1. Other units have internal DACs that are superior to it. Of course, individual tastes may lean toward the sound passed along by a given unit regardless of its relative quality or price.

My experience with the Integra Research RDC-7's superlative performance on two channel music leads me to conclude that it does NOT need the "benefit" of an external DAC to yield magnificant two channel results. On the other hand some RDC-7 owners may still feel like they need an external DAC, after reading all the wonderful things others post about them. But probably not a s large a proportion as those who own older Anthem (pre-Statement), Rotel or B&K pre-pros.

However, the Integra Research RDC-7 was reviewed by at least one highly respected professional in direct comparison to a highly regarded external DAC (guess which one), and the RDC-7 won. Since the RDC-7 is out of production, you might find a "pre-owned" one at a fairly reasonable price on Audiogon or eBay (I have not checked either place recently -- that's research you will have to do).

Good luck,

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• ericwatson
            • Nov 2006

thank you Burke sorry for the Impatient I hope more will give there opinions
            I only want a preamp processor with equal digital dacs if not better to the dac-1
            and i need to use the bass management in the processor for music and movies surround sound so i need to keep it all digital until it goes to the power amps
            again sorry for being Impatient

Comment

• Jeff
              • Dec 2004

Eric, I don't know of any pre/pro which will match the Benchmark DAC1. To come close you will need to seek the highest level of pre/pros. Starting with the Levinson Model 30, Lexicon 12 or 8. McIntosh 119 or 135, Anthem or Class'e model SSP-600.

I posted a thread about this subject a year or so ago. My objective was to find a pre/pro at the same level or high when compared to my Rotel RCD-1072 CD player. Based upon the replies, know one knew of one. It was generally felt that dedicated cd players of good quality, set themselves apart from the dac's in most HT processors.

I'm very interested in this subject, as I to am looking for an HT processor with DAC's better than my CD player. Being an owner of a Benchmark DAC1 and knowing what it has to offer, well let's just say, that's some pretty big shoes to fill.

Jeff

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

That's going to be hard to find.....I currently own a DAC1 and an Anthem Statement D2. The DAC1 trounces the Anthem in SQ, therefore I use the DAC1 into the 2 channel XLR "bypass" input of the D2.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                  That's going to be hard to find.....I currently own a DAC1 and an Anthem Statement D2. The DAC1 trounces the Anthem in SQ, therefore I use the DAC1 into the 2 channel XLR "bypass" input of the D2.
                  You should tell him how much that D2 retail's for too Jerry 8O :lol:
                  Jason

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

why is a mac mini and its "bass management" being used if pre/pros of such cost are being considered :crazy:

Comment

• ericwatson
                      • Nov 2006

peterS the mac mini is the music server I want the peramp processor to do the bass management for me

Comment

• peterS
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

oh i guess im confused as to what is intended

could you please reiterate what equipment you have and what you plan to do

to me I read it as using the mac mini as a universal player and eq and using a surroundsound procceser as a dac for two satelite speakers

Comment

• Jeff
                          • Dec 2004

Well DrJRapp, I'm sorry to hear you say that. I had hoped that someone might come along and tell of an incredible pre/pro that tops the Benchmark...for under $5000!

Jeff

Comment

• chinets
                            • Jun 2005

Here Here Jeff , Me too, I am VERY curious!!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"