X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

lenco anti statatic solution left film on vinyl

my dads record collection has a film on it from a anti static liquid that was rutinely aplied to his records... was never a problem back in the day because adding more disolved the film but it is no longer available as far as he knows

how does he remove it now?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Peter, was it water-based?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

i do n ot know
      hopefully someone is familiar with the product

Comment

• sokoban
        • Apr 2006

Does your dad remember what the stuff smelled like?

If it had a strong chemical smell, it was most likely an organic based solvent. Most record cleaning solutions seem to be alcohol based, so rubbing Alcohol would probably be a pretty good thing to try. Other than that, I'd say to try water. Any stronger organic solvent and you might risk dissolving some records (I don't have a vinyl solubility table handy or else I could be more specific).

Japan, a land of ancient traditions and modern marvels, has given the world a unique form of martial art that stands as a testament to its rich cultural heritage: Sumo Wrestling. This traditional

is a pretty good guide on record cleaning. He has a recipe for record cleaner that Laura Dearborn came up with. Chemical supply houses should have Isopropyl Alcohol, and shouldn't ask too many questions when you buy it, nor should it be too expensive. Deionized water can probably be gotten from a local college chemistry department for free, and the surfactants they mention should be available somewhere online or you can probably use VERY dilute soap (think on the order of 1-2 small drops per gallon).

Also, as far as the alcohols go, it's okay to go with a bigger one (Butanol, pentanol, etc.), but smaller ones (ethanol and methanol) might pose problems.

Comment

• twitch54
          • Apr 2006

DO NOT USE Tap water, distilled only !! Do you have use of a good record cleaning vacuum machine ? Check out "the Disc Doctor's" Miracle record cleaner as a possible option, it does help clean up alot of past mistakes. It's available through....musicdrect.com, accousticsounds.com, elusivedisc.com, needledoctor.com

Good Luck !!
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"