X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattburk
    • Feb 2003

What preamp would you pick?

I am putting together a two channel system & am in need of a preamp.
    Here are the contenders:
    Some of these I could not hear locally, and none in a a/b comparision. I would like to at least lower the number of preamps I am looking at.

1. Modwright SWL 9.0SE

2. PS audio GCC 500watt control amp with mods by underwood

3. Arcam FMJ C31

4. Classe CP-500

5. Meridian GO1 or Go2 if it is worth it over the 1

6. Rotel rc1090 least expensive, I might pick it up for kicks.

7. Bryston BP26

What do you recommend and why? How would you rank these from 1 being best 7 being least favorable?
    www.mycstone.com
    www.coverednow.com
    www.biarenton.com
  • mattburk
    • Feb 2003

Alright, well I think I narrowed it down to the ps audio, bryston and the meridian.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    www.mycstone.com
    www.coverednow.com
    www.biarenton.com

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

there are quite a few other pre-amps as well

NuForce P-8 $2k?

Primare pre30

plinius m8

naim nait 202
      Naim Audio designs & manufactures some of the finest high-end audio systems available in the world. Crafted for pure musical performance. Discover more here.

musical fidelity a5cr pre
      We're Carlton Audio Visual - with over 200 years accumulated experience, we are here to help

Oh dear, something has gone wrong. Here's a couple of things to try next to get back to the good stuff... Use your browser's 'Back' button and...

Electrocompaniet 4.7
      Unleash sonic brilliance with Tivoli Hi-Fi, your premier source for the world’s highest-quality audio brands! Shop now and elevate your listening experience!

krell 280p

Moon p3
      We're Carlton Audio Visual - with over 200 years accumulated experience, we are here to help

Simaudio is above all else a team of music enthusiasts. Our exceptional high-quality audio amplifiers and sound systems are made in Canada since 1980.

Audio Research SP16L

Moon p5

http://www.simaudio.com/moonp3.htm
      theres probably quite a few other types out there too. these jsut soem I've considered in the past.

wondering why you particualrly selected the ones you did ?

what power amp/s & source do you have.

pre & power amp matchign is somethign to consider. might be worth demoing with some amps you have in mind to check how you find them.

also do you intend to combine with a ht system at any stage or is this a pure 2ch setup.
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• mattburk
        • Feb 2003

I like the ps audio based on the fact that I am also getting 1000x2@4ohm & ht pass through. I have spoken to some people that own the 250watt version and they are very pleased. I do not like that it does not include a phono preamp.

The Bryston has some good reviews & I have heard nothing but good things about Bryston in general. I like that it also has a phono stage.

The Meridian has a great review too, but I can't seem to find much on it. I found some good reviews on some of it's sister G series products. I like the fact that it has a tuner & a phono stage.

My price range is around 3k for the pre, most of these preamps I can pick up for less than 3k (I am open to buying used). I will need a amplifier to go with the system. The speakers I will be getting are based on the new genesis 3's that are coming out, they are rated up to 1000watts.
        It looks like aside from ps, I will be going with an unmatched system to get the power I want.

The Primare, Plinius M8 & the moon all look great. The moon has ht pass through & I can pick it up used for under 3k.
        At this point it seems to be down to just going for it as, few people have had these systems yet alone two of these to compare.

I am putting together a complete two channel system from scratch. I plan on spending about 1k for a dac to go with my marantz 5500 cd, about another 1-1.5 for a lp, & about 400 for a tuner. I think I answered all of your questions.
        Many more options now......
        Last edited by mattburk; 18 September 2006, 23:39 Monday.
        www.mycstone.com
        www.coverednow.com
        www.biarenton.com

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

My order of preference would be (if paired with B&W speakers)...

1. Classe CP-500 - Natural and somewhat warm with fullbodied bass and smoothly detailed highs, somewhat laidback presentation, deep soundstage.
          2. Bryston BP26 - Transparent and somewhat cool with prodigious bass and brightly extended highs, slightly forward presentation, wide soundstage.
          3. Meridian GO1 or GO2 - Somewhat clynical with clean bass and crisp highs, slightly forward presentation, wide soundstage.
          3. Rotel RC-1090 - Somewhat dark, rounded bass and slightly surpressed highs, slightly forward presentation, compressed soundstage.
          4. Arcam FMJ C31 - Lacking immediacy, flatten bass and veiled highs, slightly dry and laid back presentation, two-dimensional soundstage.

X. PS Audio GCC - Never heard
          Y. Modwright SWL 9.0SE - Never heard

System synergy is highly dependent on your choice of speakers. I used B&W, Totem and Dynaudio in my evaluations.
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• gianni
            • Nov 2002

As stated above system synergy is important and I would not but any of them without a good listen in your system.. That being said, I would suggest you do take the time to listen to a Modwright, even if you have to buy used and then sell for little to no loss if it's not for you.

Comment

• Bluespower
              • Sep 2005

I went with the ModWright last spring and have been quite pleased. I wish I could say that I had a chance to experience all of the choices you've rattled off.

With the ModWright there is a certain amount of "tuning" you can do by swapping out tubes. Dan ships the unit with Tung Sols but also says that you can try the Jan Philips (both 5687). The Tung Sols are a little smoother and perhaps have an edge on bass. The Jan Philips are a little brighter. I'm running the Jan Philips right now and am very happy. For $30 you can do a little experimenting for yourself.

Just for reference, I'm using the ModWright with a 1095 and 804s. Good luck in your quest...
              Bluespower

Comment

• whoaru99
                • Jul 2004

Perhaps you can find a nice used Levinson No. 26, they seem to be pretty well regarded although I've personally only heard the No. 28 which is related, but a notch or two down the line from the No. 26.

Somewhat rare to find one up for sale though and usually they go quick if not outrageously priced. This is what I was looking for but most examples were sold quickly for a bit more than I wished to pay.

I have a Proceed PRE which I think does a good job with my ML No. 23 and Studio 100's. It has HT bypass but I'm not using with HT system.
                There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

McIntosh C220 is my dream pre

And imagine the C2200 :drool:

Comment

• Gump
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                    My order of preference would be (if paired with B&W speakers)...

1. Classe CP-500 - Natural and somewhat warm with fullbodied bass and smoothly detailed highs, somewhat laidback presentation, deep soundstage.
                    2. Bryston BP26 - Transparent and somewhat cool with prodigious bass and brightly extended highs, slightly forward presentation, wide soundstage.
                    3. Meridian GO1 or GO2 - Somewhat clynical with clean bass and crisp highs, slightly forward presentation, wide soundstage.
                    3. Rotel RC-1090 - Somewhat dark, rounded bass and slightly surpressed highs, slightly forward presentation, compressed soundstage.
                    4. Arcam FMJ C31 - Lacking immediacy, flatten bass and veiled highs, slightly dry and laid back presentation, two-dimensional soundstage.

X. PS Audio GCC - Never heard
                    Y. Modwright SWL 9.0SE - Never heard

System synergy is highly dependent on your choice of speakers. I used B&W, Totem and Dynaudio in my evaluations.

You sure you weren't describing a bottle of Cabernet in there somewhere?

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Gump
                      You sure you weren't describing a bottle of Cabernet in there somewhere?
                      LOL, good one Gump. Imagine, the lights dimmed, the tantalizing aroma of pasta primavera and your lovely. Now, do you throw in a bottle of bubbly or some smooth jazz? :P

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by mattburk
                        I plan on spending about 1k for a dac to go with my marantz 5500 cd
                        Which DAC matt?

Nigel.

PS. Don't forget to get a pre-amp that has tone controls. [No reply expected!]

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                          PS. Don't forget to get a pre-amp that has tone controls. [No reply expected!]
                          LOL, hey bigburner I love your sense of humor. It's all good. :T

Comment

• twitch54
                            • Apr 2006

Matt, I concur with "Rebelmans" order, but regardless please audition for your own sake a pre-amp is way to important to be "stuck" with a purchase. FWIW I have been a CJ and ARC fan for over thirty years, my pre of choice - ARC LS -26. 85-90% of the Ref 3 @ 60% of the cost.
                            Dave

Comment

• mattburk
                              • Feb 2003

Thanks for the great response.
                              Rebelman, thank you for the detailed response.
                              Bigburner, I am looking at the new psaudio digital link III or the benchmark dac1 in silver.
                              Twitch, I just spent a few hours reading up on the ARC preamps the ls26 looks pretty good. I do like the idea of a tubed preamped stage, especially if I am going with the 500ps audio amp. Looks like they go for about6k.
                              www.mycstone.com
                              www.coverednow.com
                              www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
                                Perhaps you can find a nice used Levinson No. 26, they seem to be pretty well regarded although ........
                                HI,
                                I have owned a Levinson No. 26. It is truly a great preamp but a little ergonomically quirky. For example, it used CAMAC (LEMO) connectors. Great connectors but not exactly standard. Levinson had the right idea but the world did not follow. You can get RCA to CAMAC adaptors so the connectors are not a show stopper. It's available both with or without a phono preamp. The modular phono stage can be retrofitted if you need it. Mine had the phono stage which I used with low output moving coil cartridges. It is one of the best phono stages I have heard. Don't know for sure what the going used price is but I'll bet it's pretty attractive though the No. 26 is not a well kept secret, being a Class A Stereophile component during its model life. Hard to loose on this one. Definitely first class. Don't be fooled. The No. 28 is not in the same league as the No. 26. Maybe not even on the same planet.

Personally, I prefer Audio Research electronics, both pre and power. I don't think one should consider the pre without considering the power amp. They form a symbiotic relationship that should not be ignored. The preamp I have in my main system is an Audio Research SP-11 MkII, one of the great ones. And yes, I do have an Audio Research power amp connected to it.

As mentioned above, conrad-johnson's stuff is wonderful especially at the high end. I'm not so enthusiastic about their lower priced models.

The very best phono performance I have experienced was from a CAT (Convergent Audio Technology) unit. Again, this is a tubed preamp and I don't like its egonomics very well. Sure sounded good though, especially wth phono sources. Line source performance was also good but not in the same class which doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.

Certainly Krell (I have one in my HT system and I love it like a second son, not like a first son), current Levinson models, and Rowland should not be left out of the discussion if your direction is towards solid state, misguided as that might be.

Don't know much about Classe but they are highly thought of on this forum.

My post can summed up as follows: When you ask about the best preamps you are also asking opinions about very expensive equipment. You get what you pay for. Last, at this level of performance, symbiosis with the remainder of your system, and your sonic tastes, will dictate your decision.

Be careful. Take your time. Use your ears for they will reveal the truth.

Sparky

Comment

• alebonau
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                                  HI,
                                  ~ I don't think one should consider the pre without considering the power amp. They form a symbiotic relationship that should not be ignored. The preamp I have in my main system is an Audio Research SP-11 MkII, one of the great ones. And yes, I do have an Audio Research power amp connected to it.

~

My post can summed up as follows: When you ask about the best preamps you are also asking opinions about very expensive equipment. You get what you pay for. Last, at this level of performance, symbiosis with the remainder of your system, and your sonic tastes, will dictate your decision.

Be careful. Take your time. Use your ears for they will reveal the truth.

Sparky
                                  agree very much with these statements...

especially about pre-pwr matching, eg the audio research sp16L really is meant to go with the VS55 or 110 power amps I reckon. complement each other to produce a balanced result. and the point of the symbiosis wiht the rest of the system and sonic tastes...all very true !
                                  "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• twitch54
                                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by alebonau
                                    agree very much with these statements...

especially about pre-pwr matching, eg the audio research sp16L really is meant to go with the VS55 or 110 power amps I reckon. !
                                    Outside of some gain issues / concerns with the ARC 16, I had that very same pre matched up against my Plinius SA-102 and it performed flawlessly ! truth is most of todays pre-amps match up fine, it's the sonic signature that one gets when the source, cabling, pre-amp and power amp are mated that determines the "wow" factor !!
                                    Dave

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"