Listening room measurements / How'd you do it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pearsall001
    • Dec 2005

Listening room measurements / How'd you do it?

I presently have a GIK monster bass trap & two Echo busters corner traps. The difference they made was quite noticable. I want to take it further w/ more absorption panels, bass traps, diffusion panels, etc. but first I'd like to measure my room's acoustics. With room measurements I can then decide on a plan of action. Did any of you guys do this & if you did how did you do it? I'm not very savy with this sort of thing. Hopefully the simpler the better.
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

There are several ways to do this - they all require a measurement instrument, the most common is a SPL meter from say, Radio Shack.

The "lower tech" way is to get a disc of test tones and a sheet of paper and write down the SPL as you go through the tracks. I usually just make a graph in Excel after I write everything down.

The easier way to do it (labor-wise) is to use your computer. I use RoomEQ Wizard (free) - you hook your SPL meter to your computer and it takes measurements for you. There are other RTA programs available, but I think most cost money to get a useful version.

Let me know what sounds good to you and I can give you more info. I think ThomasW on the forum has some good info compiled on the use of RoomEQ Wizard.
    Danish

Comment

• pearsall001
      • Dec 2005

Danish,

Thanks for the info. Awhile ago I purchased the Rives Audio Test CD2 for mapping my room response. I played around with it but didn't get to far. For example it says to play a test tone at 1000 Hz & 4000Hz & adjust the volumn until it reads 0 on the meter to get a mid point. I have a digital RatShack SPL meter so would I set it to 80 which would be 0 on an analog meter? If that's correct I think I can fire it up again & graph it correctly. I'll check out the other items you mentioned. I'm actually getting better at this stuff. Any other ideas would be well received.

Cheers,
      Phil

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Yes, I'd set it around 75-80 as the reference point. I usually wear earplugs through the whole process. The tones drive me crazy after a while.

What is the resolution on the Rives CD? i.e. how far apart is each frequency? You miss a lot of peaks and valleys if it's not fine enough. I made a test CD that has tones 1Hz apart from 10-300 or something. I took around an hour or hour and a half to run through them.

I like the computer now because you can kick off the tones and let it run on it's own.
        Danish

Comment

• pearsall001
          • Dec 2005

Here's a quick sample of some of the frequency ranges. Each tone plays for about 10 seconds then jumps to the next frequency.
          20-25-31.5-40-50-63-80-100-125-160-200-250-315-400-500 all the way up to 20K. They seem pretty far apart don't they. Is this even worth charting or are they pretty good?

Phil

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Those are 1/3 octave spacings I think. You won't see a whole lot with those frequencies IMO. The link below will point you to the tones that I used, 10-300Hz in 1Hz steps. If you want to do higher frequencies, perhaps you can Google for something similar.

Test Tone Link
            Danish

Comment

• pearsall001
              • Dec 2005

Danish,

Thanks a bunch!!!

Phil

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"