X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ski_merlin
    • Apr 2006

Help with purchase

Hey guys, I need an anwer real quick.

Went to the local pawn shop and found a pair of MTM towers for $75 made by a company called London Loudspeaker. They look pretty solid and are in perfect condition.

I can't find anything on the company though...are they good speakers?

Thanks for your help,
    ~J
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

My experience has been that today's pawn shops have a pretty good idea of what stuff is worth making it harder to find real bargains.

Since you can't find much info, and the low cost, I'd say it's not a huge score.

Will they hook them up to a receiver for you to try a quick sound check at the store?
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• ski_merlin
      • Apr 2006

Found them:

I'm confused. They're only $75 at the store and pretty cheap on eBay. But if you look on the bottom of the box in the picture on eBay the UDS retail in $1496!! WTF??

~J

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

One can print any price on the box as suggested retail when you are trying to bait someone. Afterall, how many things have you seen in a store with the price printed right on the box with all the other "specifications"?

If they were really worth $1500, do you suppose they would have been put up for auction with either no reserve, or such a low reserve that $38 won them?
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• ski_merlin
          • Apr 2006

Well I bought them anyway. Wow.

I'll just say I don't really care if they are only worth $75, I haggled down to $60, and hooked them up to my dad's Rotel amp. These things sound great.

Great imaging, really good, tight bass. Di-pole design--I'll be using a 12" sub to fill in below 50Hz. What a great deal. They might not have been worth $1500, but I bet they were sold to the first owner for a couple hundred. Other than bass (because they're smaller and sealed), they sound just as good as my dad's B&W TMM towers.

Anybody have ANY info on London Audio. These speaker are their "Oxford Towers."

"Acoustic-Holographic Imaging System -- Classic Quality Sound"

~J

Comment

• ski_merlin
            • Apr 2006

Here they are. Just a little test setup. They're on top of my dad's B&W's.

~J

Comment

• whoaru99
              • Jul 2004

Sounds like a good deal for you then!! Congratulations. :T

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Well, if nothing else, they definitely look worth $60! Good job!
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Indeed Chris they certainly look worth the price, even if he paid $75.00.
                  Enjoy your toy.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Congrats on the new speakers! Glad to hear you are happy with them.
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"