soundstage and imaging tracks for testing.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubSonic
    • Jul 2006

soundstage and imaging tracks for testing.

Hello, may someone recommend me a couple of tracks to test soundstage and imaging? also depth and high. so far the best(i think) one i have is "Baubles, Bangles and Beads" by Frank Sinatra.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I like Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, specifically

Sisters Of The Moon
    Brown Eyes
    Beautiful Child

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• NoHype
      • Jul 2006

Steely Dan's Aja , the song Aja . This a great all around recording .

Comment

• Martyn
        • Feb 2006

Try Patricia Barber's Companion, especially Let it Rain, Touch of Trash, and the second half of Black Magic Woman. Very three-dimensional!

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

The Weavers, Return to Carnegie Hall 1963. The last track, Around the World.
          The music should go way outside your speakers to your room boundries and feel like your room has the depth and height of the stage.

Fairfield Four, Standing in the Safety Zone, any track. Or, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Live at Carnegie Hall, any track.
          Two very well recorded acapella groups. You should be able to easily hear where each singer is standing. Each should occupy a distinct audio space and not be smeared together or feel like they are standing on top of one another.

Roger Water's, Amused to Death.
          This is the most difficult of all to get right. I have only heard it as it should be in two rooms, and mine isn't one of them. Early on there is a bit of thunder. In any room and speaker set up it will go from one side to another. In a pretty good set up it will start outside the speaker on one side and finish outside the speaker on the other side. With speakers that really image well, and properly set up, and good room acoustics, it will do more than just go side to side. The thunder should give the illusion of starting outside the room itself, or at least at the wall boundry, even with your shoulder, or slightly to the side and behind you. The sound should travel up over your head and then down to disapear outside the wall on the opposite side.
          With very careful speaker setup, and extensive treatments. The best I have managed is the thunder starts outside the room, and travels in a arc in front of me and then dissipates out the other wall. In my room, I don't think I can ever achieve pulling the sound anymore in front of the speaker, and can't hear it go all the way to the ceiling. Good luck with this one it will drive you crazy once you've heard it done right and try to make it happen in your room.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Again, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms DVD-A!
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Taito
              • Sep 2004

Another vote for Dire Straits, but also try Private Investigations from Money for Nothing!

Comment

• Bob
                • Jul 2000

On the two Dire Straits albums, maybe you could describe what to listen for. Is there something particular about how it images? Voice or guitar placement? What should the soundstage sound like?
                How do you use it for speaker setup, or checking room acoustics?

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Well, for any setup, calibration, or EQ, I never use anything other than test tones, pink noise, etc. But for demo material and to really explore the capabilities of my system, I use other stuff. I tell people over and over that the Brothers in Arms DVD-A is really reference quality stuff. Every time I demo my theater for someone, I begin with just the audio capabilities, using BIA. I start with the intro to "Money for Nothing", (I think it's track 3) turning the volume up to THX reference levels (at which I've calibrated the system) and then pre-brief my demo victim to listen for these things:

1. At the very beginning of the track, before the intro background music fades in, there is NO background hiss. NO recording noise WHATSOEVER, and I have extremely efficient and sensitive speakers that uncover every flaw in recording material. BIA is the cleanest recording I own.
                  2. As Sting fades in, singing "I want my MTV", listen for how clean the sound is. It's virtually all mid-range and treble, and should not be sharp or harsh.
                  3. Next, listen to how the surround is mixed in. The sound will slowly travel around the room, moving around your head. It's the best surround music mix I've heard, not something I would label as "gimmicky". Nor does it move so quick that it's dizzying or disorienting.
                  4. Next, the drums come in. They should again sound clean and clear. Very distinct. There is a little reverberation recorded into the material coming from the recording hall, however you should NOT hear echoes created by your room. A trained listening ear and familiarity with the material will allow you to distinguish which is which. The lower toms and bass kick drum should be strong and AGAIN clear. You'll be able to hear bass distortion if your woofers and subwoofer are weak or insufficient.
                  5. Next, the music swells in volume to an almost ear-splitting level which doesn't really demo anything audibly, but sure gets the heart pumping.
                  6. Lastly, I DARE people not to do an "air guitar" as Mark Knopfler starts in with the guitar solo. It's awesome. Then the rest of the band joins him, and the bass is stronger than ever on every other downbeat with the kick drum and bass guitar.

It's a very impressive demo. The intro is extended and enhanced from the original recording. Really cool.
                  Last edited by Chris D; 03 August 2006, 22:58 Thursday.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Bob
                    • Jul 2000

Thanks Chris. Sounds like a impressive demo disc. What if you don't want to blast guests with loudness? Is there some good stuff on it for imaging, spatial cues, height and depth, etc.?

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Sure, plenty of good stuff. I haven't been home to listen to the disc for a while, so I'll let others give details.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"