X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benny
    • Jan 2005

Various Vinyls of "Dark Side"??

So I've been looking around at picking up a copy of the classic album and it appears that there have been several released. I own the MFSL on CD, as well as the newer SACD 2-Channel that was realeasd about a year or two ago. I believe when then the SCAD same out, they also released a new vinyl remaster that it supposed to incredible! Is this the "3oth Aniversary Edition" pressed on 180 gram Vinyl? I see Mobile Fifdelity versions as well for sale and I believe they have released it several times whith each new mastering prosess they discover. (lol) Anyway..doea anyone know if this 30th edition is the best sonically? Anybody compared the MOFI release with this other one? (I have heard and experienced some odd EQ on a few MOFI's in the past.) Thanks much for replies!
  • adinfinitum
    • Apr 2006

Hi Benny,

Like you, I own several different copies of DSOTM. In CD I have the original CD realease - dissapointing and flat. The new 30th anniversary SACD hybrid. I find this a little to 'digital", clinical and loses some of the original intention. I've heard the MOFI and am shopping around for one (I'd rather not go second hand but the only new one I found was asking $300 for the gold MOFI). One of the best CDs is the 20th anniversary edition. It's probably one of the closest CD versions I've heard to the Vinyl.

I also have the original Vinyl and the new 30th ann vinyl. IMHO, the original LP is still by far and away the best - but getting a bit tired now. The 30th Ann LP is still V good though - better than the SACD/CD hybrid - and that's factoring in that my CDP is quite a bit better than my 20 year old TT.
    http://www.couchpotatosolutions.com.au/

Comment

• benny
      • Jan 2005

^Thanks. Ever heard the MOFI vinyl press vs. the 30th Ann. version, though. I have the SACD and the MOFI disc and I love both, but the MOFI disc does seem almost overdone with the EQ, etc. Very soft and low ear fatigue, but not really that dynamic. Also, MOFI had apparently released DSOTM on LP SEVERAL times with their different mastering schemes and it's hard to tell which release you're getting when buying second hand.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I have a first release of DSOTM on vinyl (with stickers and posters intact and mint condition) and it sounds better on a cheap turntable than my hybrid multi-channel SACD of the same album. The hybrid sounds fantastic , but the vinyl is a more accurate spatial representation of a Pink Floyd performance. IMO! BTW , my SACD player is a half-decent piece , and my interconnects are great ! (Thanks , Doug!)
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Rael
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Alaric
          I have a first release of DSOTM on vinyl (with stickers and posters intact and mint condition) and it sounds better on a cheap turntable than my hybrid multi-channel SACD of the same album. The hybrid sounds fantastic , but the vinyl is a more accurate spatial representation of a Pink Floyd performance. IMO! BTW , my SACD player is a half-decent piece , and my interconnects are great ! (Thanks , Doug!)
          Is it the first US pressing? I have an early 80s US pressing and it actually sounds pretty good. I also have the Twentieth Anniversary Box edition as well as the Japanese Mini LP CD.

I'd love to get my hands on an original UK "Solid Triangle" pressing, but a near mint copy on Ebay usually goes for $800-$1000!!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Mine is likely the first release on vinyl. My sons played the heck out of it but it still sounds pretty good.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

I've got a white vinyl dutch import pressing from the 70's. Now if I had a turntable, I could tell you how it sounds. Haven't played it in 20 years.

BB

Comment

• benny
                • Jan 2005

^Thanks all. Looks like I'l be searching/saving for the MFSL LP.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"