Which component influences sound the most?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Which component influences sound the most?

So, after muddling through the great amplifier vs sound difference debate above, I started wondering.....Which electronic component has the most influence over the sound of your system? and why?

Is it the amp? the pre-amp/pro? the source/disc player?

I'm excluding things like speakers, room & room treatments, wires/innerconnects, vinyl (sorry), etc.. I'm strictly referring to electronics in the front end with a disc player.

I know each one has a different responsibility and therefore a different impact on the sound, but I'm talking about "biggest bang for your buck" and most obvious effect on the sound from the basic electronics of the system.

Just curious! Thanks!!
  • alebonau
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

this thread here is pretty similar really

if its not in the source the amps or speakers cant do anythign more with it. Garbage in garbage out. It is my belief though that you dont need to spend as much on the source these days with CD etc as you might have to with vinyl

A poor pre will murder the signal, it'll lack detail, soundstage width and depth, clarity and definition.

Using an insufficient power amp for your speakers will mean lack of control on the speaker with wooly bass, music lackign grip, detail, punch, slam, dynamics. Or if theyre really lacking at anythign bar low listenign levels the soudn will break up, speakers will run otu of puff, break up maybe even start clipping and fail.

Fro bang for buck best to mix and match for yoruself to decide how little in the bucks you can get away with to get the bang you want.
    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Gump
      • Sep 2005

alebonau,

Yea, I didn't notice sonicbaer's post until after I had already posted mine. Sorry. My bad.
      I thought about pulling my post, but I noticed a lot of his responses were geared towards speakers and room treatments, etc.. I was looking to narrow the choices down to solely electronics.

I firmly believe that the speakers are far and away the winner as far as having the hugest, most immediate impact on a system's sound (all else being equal), whether being driven to their full capacity or not. Just my opinion, but that's been my experience.

I'm just curious which specific piece of electronic gear has the next biggest effect on the sound (all else being equal)? Maybe there's no clear cut answer...

Thanks for your response, alebonau.

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

For two-channel, it would be the amp. If it can't drive the loudspeaker properly, you will get bad results. For HT, the pre-pro comes into play in a big way too.

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Gump
          alebonau,

Yea, I didn't notice sonicbaer's post until after I had already posted mine. Sorry. My bad.
          I thought about pulling my post, but I noticed a lot of his responses were geared towards speakers and room treatments, etc.. I was looking to narrow the choices down to solely electronics.

I firmly believe that the speakers are far and away the winner as far as having the hugest, most immediate impact on a system's sound (all else being equal), whether being driven to their full capacity or not. Just my opinion, but that's been my experience.

I'm just curious which specific piece of electronic gear has the next biggest effect on the sound (all else being equal)? Maybe there's no clear cut answer...

speakers, preamp, amp, cd player

the only reason i rank cd last in the hierarchy is since the entry level offerings are rather good. Amplifiers are ranked higher because more power will always improve transient response and will have a tangable improvement to even the most tone deaf

i think its a very good point that was brought up.... the SQ will always be limited to the recording, which if you dont listen to the genres supported by SACD and DVDA is somewhat limited

Comment

• sonicbaer
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Gump
            alebonau,

Mr Gump...according to Race car Driver..it's the power cords, they are the most impprtant piece of equipment...hehehe..\

Glad you are asking the same questions.

The dealer that I buy most of my stuff from has been great...I spend a lot of my spare time there...and they let me (help me) test stuff...so far from my experience so far...speakers make a BIG difference with all being equally good..then it's a toss up between pre-amp and CD player..of course the amp is a good quality..not the best but damn good..

actually power cords and interconnects do make a difference...they set up some blind tests and I was able to pick out the power cords and power conditioner..almost %100 of the time...don't think it is the most important by any means..but it does seem to all add up...to the naysayers..a friend of mine is a retired electronic comunications engineer and the military does not spare any expense with power conditioners in high end communications gear even to the point of having nitrogen pressurized cables...no oxidation of the copper there..

Mr Gump...hope you find nirvana
            I'm on the path with you ..my friend

MB aka sonicbaer

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Speakers first and foremost, then the room, then the electronic components.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Music4Life
                • May 2006

Originally posted by alebonau
                this thread here is pretty similar really

if its not in the source the amps or speakers cant do anythign more with it. Garbage in garbage out. It is my belief though that you dont need to spend as much on the source these days with CD etc as you might have to with vinyl

A poor pre will murder the signal, it'll lack detail, soundstage width and depth, clarity and definition.

Using an insufficient power amp for your speakers will mean lack of control on the speaker with wooly bass, music lackign grip, detail, punch, slam, dynamics. Or if theyre really lacking at anythign bar low listenign levels the soudn will break up, speakers will run otu of puff, break up maybe even start clipping and fail.

Fro bang for buck best to mix and match for yoruself to decide how little in the bucks you can get away with to get the bang you want.

Room acoustic. You don't just spend HUGE money on the electronics and speakers then left your room untreated. You should make sure that money is also invested in a fully treated room for this purpose so that you can fully enjoy your system.

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

In the end , the primary component rests approx. 1 1/2 inches behind the bridge of your nose. If you like it , it's great. If you don't , all the equip. expenditures in the world won't make a damn bit of difference. :W
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Hrm..
                    B&W

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"