X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

What music DVD are you currently enjoying

This is a common theme, what with favourite CDs and SACDs/DVD-As. I have been enjoying some new music DVD Video recently.

P J Harvey's "Please Leave Quietly" is one of my favourites at the moment. If you like her stuff I can happily recommend it. The broken up format with interviews and other snippets between songs is not ideal but the sound is good for a live DVD and I like the raw slightly chaotic style. On the DVD Polly says that she does not go in for polished concert DVDs, however it sounds great on my relatively fussy system (B&W 804s), particularly given the often distorted/punk-esk style of music.

For something a little different, I am also getting into Martin Scorsese's Blues Collection, particularly "Red White and Blues' recorded at Abbey Road Studios. John Cleary's piano improvisation in the extras sounds amazing. The extras were recorded in stereo (film is in 5.1) but the piano sounds like it is in the room to the left of the left speaker and forward. Amazing 2 channel sound staging. I had to get up to make sure my rear speakers were not working. Other tracks also have amazing depth. Great recording if you have good gear.

Anyone else been blown away by a good music DVD recently???
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Lightning In a Bottle: A One Night History of the Blues (2003)

It is to Blues what The Last Waltz is to rock. All the living legends were there.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I've not sat down to watch a concert DVD in a while but I do still take in a few cuts from Peter Gabriel's Secret World and Growing Up tours (my 4 year old daughter is fond of the "to me song"--Come Talk to Me opens the Secret World DVD--and the "bicycle song"--Gabriel rides a bike on stage while singing Solsbury Hill in the Growing Up DVD). Sound is great for each one in DTS.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

As always, my favorite is still U2's "Rattle and Hum" DVD. I could listen to that every day for a year.

Ovation, that track is on a new demo disc I got from DTS. Very nice.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• kurtholz
          • Feb 2005

I'm still addicted to Eagle's hell freeze's over, and fleetwood mac's the dance, john fogerty's dvd is great to

Kurt

Comment

• len73
            • Jan 2005

For me, actually The Eagles "Farewell Tour live from Melbourne" and Jean-Michel Jarre "Jarre in China"...Both are really great !!

Len

Comment

• Alloroc
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Hi,

Gorillaz - Demon Days - Live in Manchester.

Wow. Just wow.
              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Bluespower
                • Sep 2005

You may want to check out Boz Scaggs' "Greatest Hits Live". The whole concert is excellent but the cuts "Runnin' Blue" and "Loan Me A Dime" are worth the price of admission. Enjoy...
                Bluespower

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

3 Doors Down, live in Texas
                  B&W

Comment

• locomk
                    • Dec 2005

I just purchased RUSH replay x, three concerts from the 80's that were just remastered, the sound is great but the video is a bit grainy and blurs quite a bit.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Alloroc
                      Hi,

Gorillaz - Demon Days - Live in Manchester.

Wow. Just wow.
                      I thought Gorillaz were sort of...... cartoon characters Mind you that probably applies to 90% of performers out there and it may be a good thing. After very briefly meeting one of my favourite Australian alt rock artists I found myself wishing I hadn't. What better way to keep your audience at a distance than by being a cartoon.

Re Gorillaz, I have only seen the videos. What do they look like?
                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• bleeding ears
                        • Nov 2004

Love the Eagles dvd's, very nice sounding, but if you like heavy stuff Motley Crue's Lewd Crewd, and Tattooed is a spectacle ! Love those girls!
                        Bit heavy for most though.

Comment

• Alloroc
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                          I thought Gorillaz were sort of...... cartoon characters Mind you that probably applies to 90% of performers out there and it may be a good thing. After very briefly meeting one of my favourite Australian alt rock artists I found myself wishing I hadn't. What better way to keep your audience at a distance than by being a cartoon.

Re Gorillaz, I have only seen the videos. What do they look like?
                          Hi,

Well, as a concept - they are a 'virtual band' - with fictional, animated characters. You may already know this but it's the brainchild of Damon Albarn (Blur - musician) and Jamie Hewlett (Tank Girl - artist).

The Manchester gig was. however, live! With all who participated on the album performing on stage. The core Gorillaz performed behind silhouetted screens - in their human guise! It was at the end of the concert that they revealed themselves to great applause - particularly for Damon.

Pop culture at its finest, imho!

V.
                          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Blur...would not have guessed that one.

What is everyones preference - live DVD or videos. Personally I prefer my prerecorded DVD listening experience to be a live gig, in fact I will quickly get bored of videos no matter how good the sound - like Peter Gabriels Play in 96/24 - I rarely watch it now.

The live sound is never perfect but my brain is too busy enjoying the vibe of the event to worry about that.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

A quick scan of this thread seems to indicate that live is the preferred option. Anyone prefer Videos?

Comment

• Bluespower
                                • Sep 2005

My favorite "non-live" performance is Eric Clapton's - Sessions For Robert J. The recording quality is excellent and you've never seen musicians having so much fun as when performing "They're Red Hot". Also, it has some of the last video footage of Billy Preston. Five stars...
                                Bluespower

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                  A quick scan of this thread seems to indicate that live is the preferred option. Anyone prefer Videos?
                                  Peter Gabriel's Play (in DTS 96/24) and the recent Genesis Video Show are both among my favourites.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                    • Nov 2004

I find the atmosphere of live gigs to add a lot to the enjoyment of music dvd's.

The odd attractive audience member flashing their boobs (See Motley Crue's Lewd, Crewd and Tattooed) helps keep my attention also. :E

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Bob
                                      Lightning In a Bottle: A One Night History of the Blues (2003)

It is to Blues what The Last Waltz is to rock. All the living legends were there.
                                      I watched that DVD last weekend. I agree that it's good. My only criticism is that you can't separate the documentary inserts. They're interesting first time around but will be annoying the third time I watch the DVD.

Tonight I'm having a quick peek at Pink Floyd's "Pulse" on my laptop. I say quick peak because I want to save the full DVD for the weekend when I'm fully 'prepared'.

My favourite music DVD by a long way is still Cream - Royal Albert Hall.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by bigburner; 19 October 2006, 04:27 Thursday.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Syd Barrett RIP

Comment

• Snap
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by len73
                                          For me, actually The Eagles "Farewell Tour live from Melbourne"
                                          :agree: great disc!
                                          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• greenjudas
                                            • Mar 2005

I think Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" to be one of the best sounding dvd that I have heard.It was their 25th anniversary and was filmed back in late 90's.Although showing their age a little,the performance is still spot on and has had many a play in my system.Those that like it a bit heavier,Judas Priest dvd's such as Live in London and there newer one Rising in the East always sound fantastic and always manage to get my aging head moving. :B

Comment

• locomk
                                              • Dec 2005

PINK FLOYD PULSE dvd, just got it yesterday, sound quality is amazing and pq is great too especially for a concert originally recorded on video and not film. but for some reason my denon dvd2200 wont play the 640 kbps dolby digital mix so i'm stuck with the 448kbps.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                                • Nov 2004

Hey Greenmucus, do those Judas Priest dvd's have the new singer or the older, xxx Halford fellow singing ? and which singer do you like best ?
                                                Last edited by bleeding ears; 14 July 2006, 03:46 Friday.

Comment

• Rael
                                                  • Oct 2005

I've been enjoying a couple of great Mike Oldfield DVDs recently. "Exposed" is a complete performance from 1979, same as the album of the same name. Also, a DVD of Oldfield at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1981, which features terrific sound.

Comment

• Rael
                                                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by bleeding ears
                                                    Hey Greenmucus, do those Judas Priest dvd's have the new singer or the older, gay Halford fellow singing ? and which singer do you like best ?
                                                    Btw, you might want to edit that "gay" remark. It means nothing to me, but someone is surely going to take issue with that.

Besides, who needs Ripper Owens when you have Rob Halford back in the band?!! Rising in the East is with Halford and Live in London features Owens.

Comment

• greenjudas
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Rael
                                                      Btw, you might want to edit that "gay" remark. It means nothing to me, but someone is surely going to take issue with that.

Besides, who needs Ripper Owens when you have Rob Halford back in the band?!! Rising in the East is with Halford and Live in London features Owens.

Rael,we are mates and he is just taking the piss.However,seeing as though he asked the question,I do prefer the gay one[Halford] leading the band.Took me a while to get my head around the fact he was gay,having been the macho frontman of one of the greatest metal bands for 30 yrs but what the heck,he delivers the goods!
                                                      Hey bleeding a** whoops,I mean ears.How do you rate your Madonna and Carpenters dvd's?I bet you get your fluffy slippers and warm blanket out when you insert the Carpenters and press play :rofl: !

Comment

• Russ L
                                                        • Jul 2006

Thanks to Syd Barrett for inventing Pink Floyd. My current favourite DVD is Hayley Westenra Live in New Zealand:T -Russ
                                                        Russ

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                                          • Nov 2004

Greenjudas and Rael, no offence meant, it doesnt mean anything to me either, but I hope that fluffy slipper remark isnt a suggestion that I am into cross dressing ?

Just kidding !

I will get back on topic now.

Comment

• tonych31
                                                            • Sep 2004

For me, I always listened to the following:
                                                            1. Eagles Farewell Tour (DTS)
                                                            2. Boz Scaggs Hits Live (DTS)
                                                            3. James Taylor Live in the beacon theater
                                                            4. Nora Jones Come Away
                                                            5. Phil Collins Farewell Tour (DTS)
                                                            6. Rod Stewart Live in Albert Hall (DTS)

Comment

• bigburner
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2005

I watched Blind Faith's "London Hyde Park 1969" for the second time when I got home from work this evening. In my opinion this is essential viewing for musos.

I reviewed this DVD here after I watched it for the first time http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=19504

With a lower alcohol content this time I noticed a few more things - for example, the metal aeroplane on the original album cover is sitting on the top of Steve Winwood's keyboards.

Point of interest: As you will see below, the album cover also depicts a topless pre-pubescent girl. In the sensitive world we live in today, this cover has been replaced by the other one below, which covers her top. Like hey man, the topless one was cool back in the 60's.
                                                              Attached Files
                                                              Last edited by bigburner; 19 October 2006, 05:06 Thursday.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • May 2005

Yesterday evening

First I watched Albert King - "Live in Sweden". Albert is pretty tentative in this one. He plays the Elmore James song "The Sky is Crying" and it is excellent. The final song is good too, but is interrupted by an interview. God I hate that. The horn section sounds like it comes from a high school.

Second I watched B.B. King - "Live by Request". BB is always good, even if he is quite elderly in this one. He's joined by Jeff Beck for a couple of songs, and those tracks are just excellent. The horn section is all grown up for this concert.

This evening

First I watched Crosby, Stills & Nash - "The Acoustic Concert". By half time I was ready to take it off. Just slow and boring. Then it picked up when they started playing old favourites, and I enjoyed the second half. Stephen Stills has lost most of his voice but his guitar is still very good. The other two can still sing. I won't watch this DVD too often.

Second I watched The Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter". This is more of a documentary than a music DVD but it is essential viewing for those who want to obtain a knowledge of the history of rock. It chronicles the Altamont Speedway concert where the Hell's Angels were in charge of security and killed a concert goer. Groovy eh?
                                                                Attached Files

Comment

• chinets
                                                                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by locomk
                                                                  PINK FLOYD PULSE dvd, just got it yesterday, sound quality is amazing and pq is great too especially for a concert originally recorded on video and not film. but for some reason my denon dvd2200 wont play the 640 kbps dolby digital mix so i'm stuck with the 448kbps.
                                                                  Yeah Locomk,
                                                                  I have the Marantz DV 9600 ,one of the best Universal players in the market, and it also could NOT play that Pink Floyd Pulse in 640Kbps, and only played the 448Kbps version. ops:

Has anyone been able to play this Pink Floyd Pulse in 640Kbps ,and what was the make of your player????? ;x( Very curious here!!! :W

I also like SEAL IN DVD-A and Video!!!The Best of SEAL In Accoustics ONLY.

LIVE AID 2005 is a brilliant recording :T
                                                                  Finally, The Eagles Hell freezes over is stunning and extremely well recorded!!
                                                                  Cheers!!!!!!!1

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by chinets
                                                                    Has anyone been able to play this Pink Floyd Pulse in 640Kbps ,and what was the make of your player?????
                                                                    I'd like to know, too. Couldn't hear it through my Onkyo DV-SP1000 either. Love this DVD though! Video doesn't seem to bother me as much as it does some.

Think I remember reading somewhere that the $149 Oppo could... :roll:
                                                                    Brad

Comment

• locomk
                                                                      • Dec 2005

my denon wont play the 640kbps DD either, if i select it, it defaults back to the other one, i tired the denon 2910, 3910 and even the 5910 with it as well. it played fine on the new pioneer elite dv-46a player.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Oct 2005

some music dvd favs of mine..

morcheeba - brixton to beijing. This morcheeba concert is really hard to be. Lovely music, great visuals hehe and a great sounding live concert.

prophesy - nitin sawhney. ooh soem tough visuals very good audio. bit of a fan of his music and this ones got me hooked.

dido - live at brixton. very nice visuals again hehe, nice music, well recorded, very nice audio and another great live concert.
                                                                        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2005

1) Yanni Live Concert Event DVD (not Acropolis, this is a new one) - all fruitcake jokes aside, if you like music, you owe it to yourself to give this one a listen
                                                                          2) Beethoven's Symphony No 9 SACD by the Minnesota Symphony Orchestra

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2005
                                                                            • 2649

"Songlines Live!" by The Derek Trucks Band.

This is an astoundingly good band, captured on DVD with excellent SQ and PQ.

Although there are 2 months still to go this year I'm confident that this DVD will win my prize for the best music DVD of 2006, and I've watched a lot of music DVDs this year.

Do yourself a favour and buy this DVD. It's an absolute bargain for US$10.99 at Amazon.
                                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Dec 2000
                                                                              • 16877

#39
                                                                              Steve, I actually own and like Yanni's Acropolis CD. Haven't listened to it for awhile, though.
                                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2005
                                                                                • 799

#40
                                                                                Steve, I actually own and like Yanni's Acropolis CD
                                                                                Get this new one, it's even better.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2005
                                                                                  • 2649

#41
                                                                                  The Chieftains: Down the Old Plank Road - The Nashville Sessions (2003)

The Chieftains - five Irishmen in their 60's - are an Irish folk band who visited Nashville in 2002 to trace the roots of American bluegrass music, which can be found in Gaelic folk music. They invite the cream of American country/bluegrass musicians to record a double CD with them and play a concert at the Ryman Auditorium. This DVD is that concert interspersed with clips from the recording sessions.

I have watched this DVD three times over the past month because it's just so interesting. For once I actually appreciate the many short interviews that are included. It's just amazing how highly all of the American musicians regard the Chieftains. The music is just great (even for an old rocker!) and the standard of musicianship is exceptionally high.
                                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Dec 2000
                                                                                    • 16877

#42
                                                                                    Yeah, the Chieftains are a quite popular group. I tell ya what... if you ever want a great time to Irish folk music, go to the Temple Bar district in Dublin, and go to a bar called Gogarty's. Go up the stairs in the back, and they play live folk music there every night. Whole place dancing and stomping and having fun while getting drunk on Irish brews.
                                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• chinets
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2005
                                                                                      • 855

#43
                                                                                      Dido Live is awsome. Live from the U.K. In DTS sensational!!!!

Comment

• Slice
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2005
                                                                                        • 45

#44
                                                                                        1. Concert For George - (Eric Clapton). I use this as a system demo. Fantastic production job, everybody on stage having too much fun, audience enthralled, Billy Preston on "My Sweet Lord", very emotional at times.

2. Live At The Beacon Theatre - James Taylor. Superb musicianship, an intimate feel that transports you right into the venue.

3. Texacali Style: Live From Austin - Los Lonely Boys. Pulls you in and gets your mojo rockin', awesome sound from three brothers in total sync and perfect harmony, amazing guitar riffs, fun showmanship.

4. Live In Paris - Diana Krall. Need I say more?
                                                                                        - Slice

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2005
                                                                                          • 2649

#45
                                                                                          Eric Clapton - "Live in Hyde Park".

This DVD was recorded in 1996 in front of a very big London crowd. Every song is good and Eric's guitar playing is superb. I've had this DVD for a while and I can't understand why I haven't played it more. [Probably because there are so many concerts and so little time!]

If you want an Eric Clapton DVD with wide appeal (i.e. women like it too) then I can recommend this one. It's almost as good as the Cream DVD "Royal Albert Hall - London May 2-3-5-6 2005" which IMO is the best music DVD of all time but has narrower appeal.

P.S. I agree with Slice about "Concert for George". It's a lovely concert.

P.P.S. I forgot to mention that the SQ and PQ are very good too. Fancy forgetting the most important part!
                                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"