X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boombox
    • Oct 2005

2-way, 2 1/2way or 3 way speakers

I find that I two way speaker design, in particular, two bass drivers coupled with a tweeter and front firing port is the best "musical" speaker design layout.

Any opinions...??

The added mid-range speaker (usually between tweeter and top most woofer) is added (in my opinion) to add HT "compatability"...
    Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

I think such generalizations are silly and unfounded. There are technical arguments in favor and oppposed to your conclusion and there are examples of success on both sides. The added midrange, btw, is not added for any HT compatibiilty but is a feature of the majority of high end loudspeakers.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

3-ways (or a 2.5-way) are twice as complex to design and build as a 2-way (it's a function of the doubling the crossover components).

With the very high quality drivers available these days, a properly designed 2-way like the standard MTM, can be an exceptional speaker for both HT and music.

Port location is almost irrelevant (though one must be very careful not to have a front firing port interfere with the output from the tweeter). The finest sounding 'box' speaker I've ever heard, (Avalon Isis) have a bottom firing port.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Boombox
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
        I think such generalizations are silly and unfounded.
        Kal
        I agree, and I'm sorry.....its a consequence of using as little variables in speaker design as possible.... :roll:
        Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Boombox
          I agree, and I'm sorry.....its a consequence of using as little variables in speaker design as possible.... :roll:
          OK. If you define the parameters closely and limit issues of cost/bulk/complexity/application, 2ways can be optimized most easily. OTOH, you didn't set such limits in your original post.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"