OK to give thoughts on a new speaker cable I got?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

OK to give thoughts on a new speaker cable I got?

Before I make a mess?
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

What do/did you have?
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• will1066
      • Aug 2003

Did: Nordost Super Flatline Gold

Do: Nordost Blue Heaven Rev II

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

I'm surprised this simple question has gone unanswered.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

This probably won't float. I'll talk to Lex about it.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

let em talk David. Will's been here long enough to know how I feel about this. It's really simple, when enough people do this and nobody supports CAT or this forum, I'll close up shop and go golfing/fishing.

Heck, I had a guy that thought Cattails were to expensive this week, so I doubt to many are looking for Nordost Blue anything here-

My attitude is bad right now, so I'd suggest a path of least resistance with me for now onlookers. Don't spit in the eye of the dragon as he's libel to blow fire in your face.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• GregLett
              • May 2005

Don't think you'll be going golfing/fishing anytime soon Lex
              Greg

Comment

• gostan
                • May 2003

But spring is here. So why not support the forum and fit in some golf and fishing to take advantage of the weather.
                Stan

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

i've been wanting to go fishin lately... got an extra rod? heh.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

ive heard coat hangers work well- for both

Comment

• will1066
                      • Aug 2003

Well, if there's objection, then I won't divulge. I certainly would not divulge on interconnects because of the CAT business. With these being speaker cables, rather than ICs, I felt I should've proceeded with caution, anyway.

Addendum: Forgive me. I was not aware of the Cattails product until now. I haven't been keeping up that closely.

Comment

• Shawn Parr
                        • Feb 2006

Doug, I hope you don't mind me saying this, and if you do please feel free to delete this.

I tend to be a make my own cables type of person, and have been for some time, especially in the pro side of things. I have literally wired so many theaters, clubs, and studios I couldn't even begin to figure out how many connections were involved. As with any project involving custom wiring, this was not done 'on the cheap.'

That being said, with the system upgrades I hope to finance this summer I was considering trying some silver cables. Me being me I tried finding out the best way to make my own. In the middle of this process I purchased some Cat BlueTigers and a CoolCat. The build quality was really great, and they look very nice. As such they gave me a bar that had to be met if I was going to do my own.

Well after I did all my research, technically I could build cables myself very very similar to Silvercats and save money. The problem then becomes the labor. I haven't sat down with hard numbers, but my gut feeling is that I will lose out on that proposition. With the labor involved due to how I would have to source out the parts, it easily makes just buying cables from Doug make a lot of sense.

So anyone saying Cat cables are expensive are pretty nuts in my mind. The only reason I wouldn't buy cables from Doug when I get around to my upgrades, is if I have such a money crunch that the only way to accomplish it is to do it myself. Personally I really value my time and if Doug wants to make it easier for me to buy cables then to make them, great!

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

well, I lost a post, thanks Shawn. I don't begrudge anyone DIYing, sometimes, it's smart to save where you can. I've DIYd before myself, yardwork, landscaping, woodworking, plumbing, and so on.

this guy on the speaker cables wanted LONG ones, and bi-wires, and by the time you do that with quality materials, it just adds up. I discounted them some for him, but that still wasn't enough to get them in line with another set he looked at, but they were not bi-wire, and were not of the same quality. I guess some people just aren't that concerned about the total quality maybe. But I do understand that 500+ is a lot of cash.

well, I didn't play golf today, but I did dabble in another hobby-

Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Nice waterfall Doug :T

I have to agree with Shawn on the labour though. I did DIY cables a few years back and later figured out that I could have got Doug's cables for basically the equivalent price ( I think it was like $50 more)... If i'd only known how much time/work and learning curve was involved I would've just spent the extra $50!!!!! :lol:
                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"