• Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

so whats stopping me from buying a cheap sacd/cd/dvd player

i own one dvd-a and two hdcds
    and rarely watch dvds

i currently own the denon 2910 (not many peoples first choice on here anyways)
    my only problem is that i think i spent too much for what i use it for and its ugly
    i can recoup 100% of what i payed for it on ebay so im thinking about just grabing this guy ... i know the easy way is to buy it and see but need some thoughts... the added benifit is that id finaly free up the cash to buy my damn seas excels.... oops...think i just convinced myself lol
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I bought that player from circuit city and it was ok not the greatest the sound wasnt all that great to me and the video was ok id say get it from circuit city or somthing so you can return it if you dont like it i returned mine

Comment

• gianni
      • Nov 2002

Nothing is stopping you, it's your system.

I just do not think that the analog output section of that Sony player will do your Rotel RC-1070 pre and RB-1080 amp any justice. I do not own that particular model but I have used some of the less expensive Sony SACD/DVD/CD players. The one I have, which is more robust than yours and has had some good reviews, does not sound as good as my modest dedicated CD player, not even with SACD. I have two copies of several hybrid SACD's and can easily a/b.

If you are going to try the Sony, buy where you can return. I would try it before
      selling the 2910. I do recall another thread where you were discussing the merits of various DAC's and or CD players. While the DAC's in these players may be adequate, the analog section is where they often fall down. Having read some of your previous posts, I would bet you are well aware of this. So, I'm a little surprised you are trying to be so thrifty with your source component.

Granted, the 2910 if you don't watch DVD may not give you the best bang for your buck. Perhaps something like one of the new Cambridge CD players and a $79 DVD player may make some sense. But, an RC-1070 and RB-1080 fed by a card board CD/DVD player?

I don't get it. Tell me you are just messing with us.

Comment

• peterS
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by gianni
        Nothing is stopping you, it's your system.

I just do not think that the analog output section of that Sony player will do your Rotel RC-1070 pre and RB-1080 amp any justice. I do not own that particular model but I have used some of the less expensive Sony SACD/DVD/CD players. The one I have, which is more robust than yours and has had some good reviews, does not sound as good as my modest dedicated CD player, not even with SACD. I have two copies of several hybrid SACD's and can easily a/b.

If you are going to try the Sony, buy where you can return. I would try it before
        selling the 2910. I do recall another thread where you were discussing the merits of various DAC's and or CD players. While the DAC's in these players may be adequate, the analog section is where they often fall down. Having read some of your previous posts, I would bet you are well aware of this. So, I'm a little surprised you are trying to be so thrifty with your source component.

Granted, the 2910 if you don't watch DVD may not give you the best bang for your buck. Perhaps something like one of the new Cambridge CD players and a $79 DVD player may make some sense. But, an RC-1070 and RB-1080 fed by a card board CD/DVD player?

I don't get it. Tell me you are just messing with us.
        if i go this route the behringer DEQ2496 will be my dac... i dont like the idea of droping the cash on the dac process if it will just go a/d then d/a
        easier to just do toslink out...
        i was just hoping that there is some truth to some of the posts on here that it doesnt matter as all cd players sound the same

mainly i am sick of looking at the denon and am very frustrated because i cannot find a cd/sacd/ and idealy dvd-a and hdcd player anywere close in price
        sq wise its as good as the rotel 1072 player was

another sorce of frustration is hearing 48bit in a coworkers studio... 16bit will always be a limiting factor...
        meh... i know i am not fully informed. thoughts?

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
          I bought that player from circuit city and it was ok not the greatest the sound wasnt all that great to me and the video was ok id say get it from circuit city or somthing so you can return it if you dont like it i returned mine
          this guy looks nice... but numbers cant necessarily be
          trusted

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

So you don’t watch many movies, you don’t have anything invested in HDCD’s, and your looking decent SQ from your redbook.
            You sound a lot like me!

I say, you can’t beat the Cambridge Audio 540C. You get a Wolfson WM8716 24-bit/192 kHz DAC and there are some good deals on these right now. Check AudioAdvisor.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

Cambridge 540 - $199
              Cambridge 640 - $369

At the site mentioned above. These have gotten some good reviews - worth looking into for a decent inexpensive solution. Now plop a cheapo Sony 1" thick DVD player into the mix and you'll at least have decent redbook playback from the Cambridge and acceptable performance for that rare DVD you watch.

I would guess you are going to miss that 1072 though.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by peterS
                i was just hoping that there is some truth to some of the posts on here that it doesnt matter as all cd players sound the same
                Don't buy into that statement. Don't let others make your decisions for you. Audition several players yourself in an environment other than a Circuit City or Best Buy cavern and discover whether you can hear a difference. If you can't then it's not an issue, but if you find you can hear a difference then you'll have more experience on which to base a decision.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• peterS
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by gianni
                  Cambridge 540 - $199
                  Cambridge 640 - $369

At the site mentioned above. These have gotten some good reviews - worth looking into for a decent inexpensive solution. Now plop a cheapo Sony 1" thick DVD player into the mix and you'll at least have decent redbook playback from the Cambridge and acceptable performance for that rare DVD you watch.

I would guess you are going to miss that 1072 though.
                  well i didnt switching to 2910 but i like to switch things around, its actualy more of a hobby for me than listening to the equipment at times

what i realy want is a sacd/cd player but i am now even questioning that as i only have a few sacd and they are all old jazz recordings that are somewhat limited in the sq department

there has to be something between the rotel and this guy http://us.marantz.com/Products/1193.asp :E

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Those that have compared them have found that the SACD playback in the low cost SACD players, isn't really better than the CD layer.

I was an early adopter of SACD and really like how it sounds. But the entire playback chain needs to be pretty high quality to enjoy the benefit it provides.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

well i didnt switching to 2910 but i like to switch things around, its actualy more of a hobby for me than listening to the equipment at times

what i realy want is a sacd/cd player but i am now even questioning that as i only have a few sacd and they are all old jazz recordings that are somewhat limited in the sq department

there has to be something between the rotel and this guy http://us.marantz.com/Products/1193.asp :E

If you think that's bad , check out the SA11S1.Ouch. I got to hear one though , and if you like SACD it will make your joints all warm and runny. The CD playback is also fantastic. It's worth hearing even if you have no intention of buying.What better way to kill a couple hours?
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• peterS
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                        Those that have compared them have found that the SACD playback in the low cost SACD players, isn't really better than the CD layer.

I was an early adopter of SACD and really like how it sounds. But the entire playback chain needs to be pretty high quality to enjoy the benefit it provides.
                        what i am realizing is that some contemporary music on dvd audio/ dual disc sounds as one would hope
                        while the sacds sound good the ones i have are old recordings that limit the potential...

with that said im gonna pull the trigger on the cambridge audio Azur 640C
                        and deal with the dsp at a later point... maybe a local shop will alow me to bborrow an open box rotel so i can try them head to head

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                          I can attest to that. I bought a JVC DVD/SACD about three years ago from Crutchfield and used its analog outputs to run the rear surrounds on a separate yammy stereo receiver as a means of cobbling a makeshift HT system for watching DVD’s. Now I run it (in a proper configuration) through my RSP-1066, and SACD playback is underwhelming compared to redbook through my CDp.

im gonna pull the trigger on the cambridge audio Azur 640C
                          I don’t think you can beat a deal like that. Be sure to let us know how you like it!
                          If you don’t, can I have first dibbs if you want to sell it?
                          Not only am I cheap, I have virtually no shame. LOL

But seriously, I think next to the 640C v1.0, if your going to get noticeably better performance, your best bang for the buck is to bite the bullet, and go with the Benchmark DAC, but now your talking about a significant investment. I would like to hear some feed back on the 640C v2.0 though, and it is reasonablely priced at around $550.
                          Last edited by wkhanna; 08 April 2006, 08:35 Saturday.
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

With the 8001 Marantz coming out I may have a deal for you on a SA8260!
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
                              .... I may have a deal for you on a SA8260!
                              being that I own a total of four SACD's............?!?!?!
                              But how’s the redbook playback?
                              I am so close to grabbing one of those 640C v1.0's though.
                              That $369 price comes and goes as their stock sells out every week or so.
                              Timing is everything!
                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• peterS
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

g/f threw in her .02 and i went with the 540.... waiting for fed ex ALLL day
                                the 2910's on fleebay regardless of the azur 540's performance relative to it 8O

Comment

• peterS
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2005

45 min one way drive later i got it, due to an incorrect address :roll:
                                  i have been playing herrbie handcock's "prelude in c# minor" in sacd on the denon and then 16bit on the cambridge... this seemingly unfair comparison became too close to call
                                  so far id have to say the 540 is directly comparable to the rotel 1072 at 1/3 the cost
                                  ive literally heard something on one of my cd's i havent before... have to say i am pleased as is bank account

thankyou wkhanna and gianni for the recomendation!

i think i am going to set it on some vibration spikes from parts express so i dont have to look at the cable access holes...

Comment

• gianni
                                    • Nov 2002

Glad to hear you are liking it. For redbook CD playback, a better choice for your Rotel pre and amp combo than a cheap Sony DVD player.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

That’s all well and fine, glad you like it………….
                                      But the question I really want the answer to is, ‘just what does your g/f intend to do the $170’?
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• peterS
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                        That’s all well and fine, glad you like it………….
                                        But the question I really want the answer to is, ‘just what does your g/f intend to do the $170’?
                                        it bought me less of this ---> :blah: :W

Comment

• wkhanna
                                          • Jan 2006

LOL Great comeback! Thanks for being such a sport, I can come off quite insolent at times with a sense of humor that has often been seriously questioned.

Truly glad you like the new CDp, keep us updated on your impressions of its SQ as you get more listening time and burn-in.

BTW 'Miles Smiles' with Herbie Hancock is some my favorite music.
                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"