X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

opinions on plate amps or others?

i assume the k1 along side an eq would be ideal but financialy that may not be feasable in the near future

i will most likely do a pair of h-frame dipole with the peerless xls 12"
    and am leaning towards just the dayton 500w on each
    i havent done all my homework so i dont know if more eq-ing is needed with a dipole... if so i would just utilize a pair of 15" sealed i think (too bad i sold my second ascendant audio avalanch 15")

it will be used with "thor" TL utilizing the perscribed excel mids but an lcy 110 for the tweets, fed by a rotel 1080 (2x 300w+ @ 4 ohms) at this point i will be playing the speakers full range and will be using the subwoofers lowpassed around 60-70 hz if not lower id assume

any opinions on class "g" amps is apreciated to
    along with any real life current draw numbers for music on any of the listed amps

crown ce1000
    crown K-1
    dayton 1000w plate
    dayton 500w plate
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Not only is EQ required for dipoles (because of the roll-off), but so is BSC (baffle step compensation). This means a standard graphic or parametric equalizer can't be used if one wants the best sounding system. Most people going this route are using the Behringer DCX2696 to acomplish the crossover and EQ functions. There are numerous threads about these kind of setups the DIY forum.

The Crown CE amps don't get very good press. The Behringer EP1500/2500 are better and cost less.

Unless one is looking at a full digital amp (both the amp circuitry and the power supply) one should look at weight. It's usually a good indicator of what you're getting for the money.

For less money there are better woofer choices than the Peerless XLS.

Current draw for any amp depends on the sensitivity of the speakers and the volume level being played.

Given the subject matter, I'm surprised this thread wasn't posted in the DIY section.
    Last edited by ThomasW; 13 March 2006, 03:35 Monday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"