X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Radio Raves

I have two questions relating to broadcast radio.

First is, I live 1 ½ blocks from the transmitting tower of an FM radio station. I have regular coax TV cable (not digital) running to my TV. And yes, I can hear the radio station on my system at times, regardless of the source I’m listening to.

Anybody have suggestions on how to attenuate or filter the radio signal?

Second is, now that I have a dedicated pre/pro, I’m in the market for an FM receiver. It wasn’t till I got my 1066 that I realized how much time my wife and I have the radio on for background, not to mention Car Talk, Wadda Ya Know, the news, and a very good local Jazz station, (the very one who has the audacity to have their transmitter in my backyard no less).

So if any of you take your FM seriously, I would very interested in your experience with various brands and features.

TIA
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Kingdaddy
    • Jan 2004

FM trap filter from Radio Shack is what I beleive you should use, it goes in-line on the antenna coax
    My Center Channel Project

Comment

• locomk
      • Dec 2005

plenty of good tuners out there, the parasound T3 is great and can really pick up far away stations. but you may want to wait for more Tuners to come out that also have HD RADIO.

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

Thanks guys, I got a filter at RS, $5, and it did help slightly. Frequency of the 'noise' is lower, as though it was clipped, and the overall db level seems to have decreased. I installed it right at the TV, but I think I will get another and install it where the coax come into the house. I think the cable is acting like an antenna running all through the house, and bleeding to my audio system via power and signal cables. I guess until I get digital cable, I will have to build a Faraday Cage out of chicken wire around the living room. Wonder what the WAF on that will be!

As far as a tuner goes, I guess I will just go with a used Rotel for now, it visually integrates well with all my other equipment, and has IR remote capability so I can download it to my RR-969.

Locomk, I have not heard about HD Radio, I will go do some research on that one!
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Which radio station?!!? WDVE?!

I'd check your cable wire, maybe there's a better shielded cable (RG6) that you could buy and run through the house that would help?!
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

It is WDUQ, the public radio station from Duquesne University.

Yes, very good point, the grade of cable can have a huge effect. But I will be making a decision on whether to get Comcast Digital or a Dish shortly. So before I re-wire the entire house, I will wait and see how the new service works out. I'm not sure if the radio signal is bleeding from the coax as it acts like an antenna, or if it is because I am so close to transmitting tower and its signal, and it is just in the ‘air’ everywhere in and around the house?
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Just makes me think what that much be doing to your brain?! eek!!!
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

I just bought a Magnum Dynalab FT-11 on A-gon. If anyone is interested, I can give my opinions on its performance in about a week. It should be here by the weekend.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Well I know this thread has not generated much attention, but for anyone out there who may be interested...........

I just hooked up my newly acquired Magnum Dynalab FT-11 about four hours ago.

While I can not offer a comparison to other tuners of this caliber other than Carver, I can say, I have CD’s that don’t come close to the SQ this little baby delivers. BTW, MD offers “Pre-Owned” units from their web-site, if anyone is in the market for a Quality tuner.

This is an analog turner, which I prefer; but I’m still ‘old school’ and have hopes of tube amps some day. Still, 'visually' the unit integrates well to my system, since I have, and prefer, all black face equipment. A unique feature of this ‘analog’ tuner is that it has 3 pre-sets that can be set via set-pots. It does not have any remote functions, but I have it hooked up to turn on when I power up through my Monster surge protector, and can select it via remote through my RSP-1066. And, since I basicaly only listen to one station anyway, it all works out fine.

For what I paid for this used unit, I can’t imagine doing any better. We tend to have the radio on at home for background (jazz and NPR), when we (me mostly) are not doing serious ‘listening’ , nearly 100% of the time.

I had previously complained of having the transmission tower of the local station I listen to 1-1/2 blocks form the house, but tonight, after having added some filtering that has taken care of the ‘bleed-through’ effects it was causing, I ‘m in heaven. Talk about a nice, clean signal! And, we are fortunate to have such a great Jazz station in Pittsburgh.

Any way, I just thought I’d share my experience, and let you guys know there are some good sounds to be heard on the old fashion airways, still.
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"