• May 2005

I need speakers sugestions.

I'm looking for a replacement speaker for my CDM7's. I'm looking
    for a floor standing full range speaker. I need something that's
    not too revealing, something musical. The problem with speakers
    like B&W, is that you can only listen to a small segment of the
    recordings out there. Put something on that's not the best, I get
    a headach.

The speaker on top of my list now is the Paradigm Studio 100V3.
    I would like to know what other full range speakers in the $2,000
    price I should look at.

Thanks for your help.
    Greg
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

Phase Tech PC series. have great towers for around that price. I have the V-12 towers.

I personally am a big fan of Phase Tech and EarthQuake.
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

Klipsch, Boston Accoustics, Paradigm (as your already looking), Definitive Technology, PSB...just to name a few.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Energy Veritas
        Jason

Comment

• Patt
          • Feb 2005

$1000.00 each...Klipsch RF7....

Just bought a pair...beautiful cherry finish, now I'm experimenting with the proper amplification. :B
          ......Pat

Comment

• anamorphic96
            • Apr 2005

Hi Greg,

Have you thought about using some room treatments. Acoustics play a HUGE part in the sound of your system. The reason I mention this is you have alot of hard REFLECTIVE surfaces in your pic that can color the sound and make things brighter than they really are.

I do admit about 80 percent of the music out there is recorded poorly but any good speaker will sound bad if the recording is bad. Even the Paradigms will do this. My Studio 40's do.

I spent around 400 on room treatments and it made the biggest difference over any other componet or upgrade I made. HUGE difference.

However if you are dead set on new speakers then the Pardigms are great.

Cheers

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I actually have to agree with anamorphic96 there. Any good quality speaker is built and designed to be revealing (some are a bit more forgiving than others) and will merely playback what's recorded. Bad in = bad out. Paradigms, while excellent speakers, aren't really known for their forgiving tweeters either. B&W makes great speakers that with decent to good quality software and a not too reflective room should sound quite sweet. Perhaps it would be a good idea (and likely a cheaper one) to investigate room treatment options first Otherwise you may end up sacrificing overall system quality and clarity on behalf of poor recordings. I loathe bowing to the lowest denominator :nonod:
              Jason

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

From my experience the 7 and 8 series B&Ws are "musical" and "warm".

The Paradigms Studio & Signature series are much more neutral and even more "revealing" of poor sources/materials.
                ~Nick

Comment

• Taito
                  • Sep 2004

The JM Lab Cobalt 826s are great -at least I think so. I bought a pair after comparing with B&W 704's -they offered the same level of imaging and resolution, but had that extra bass weight that I wanted. With the 704's, when I cranked it up, I could hear the bass. With the 826's, I could feel it. You should take a look (for $2200US RRP).

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

I have become a huge fan of the Acoustic Energy AElite 3 towers. $1,599 list. Not well known but once you've heard them, you're hooked!

Jim
                    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• GregLett
                      • May 2005

Thanks for the input. I played around with placement, and tha did improve the sound.
                      Since my setup is in the living room, I can't do any room treament, I'm lucky to be
                      able to put the speakers there
                      Greg

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Certainly, placement plays a huge role!
                        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• eddiem67
                          • Jun 2004

AV123 RS750's, Canton Ergos 702 or 902, great pricing on these from me. Also you can look at Phase Tech Ref line (see snap for pricing)
                          My Car Audio

Comment

• Snap
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2005

Just to Shed a little light on what Eddie is saying. My dealer agreements with Phase Technology prohibits any and all internet sales. I am confined to my area of Eastern North Carolina. I would only be able to Post MAP and List Prices only. Otherwise I will be in conflict with my agreements with Phase Tech.

In keeping with the HT Guide rules and regulations, there are 2 companies that foot the bill for this great forum. As such NL audio is the forum sponsor, and I would refur you to Jimmy58 of NL Audio And Video.

Other Phase Tech dealers in your area will be able to assist you in selecting Phase Tech Speakers if you choose to do so. As well as several of the speaker lines mentioned above from NL Audio and Video.

Phase Tech manufactures speakers for your life. Shop speakers to enhance your home with outstanding sound systems that remain hidden in plain sight.

They are great speakers.

I hope that my post clears up any misunderstandings that might have been read into Eddie's Post.
                            Last edited by Snap; 07 June 2005, 20:07 Tuesday.
                            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"