X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DifferentLee
    • Apr 2005

Any Maggie fans on the board?

I have 1.6 QRs and I love them...I had 3As before and will soon upgrade to 3.6s. I find the speakers to be very musical after experimenting with a number of boxed designs.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ah the 3.6's are wonderful speakers I've owned the MMG, SMG and 1.4's but they simply won't work in my new HT room. I do miss them though and constantly wonder how I could make them work out

Comment

• DifferentLee
      • Apr 2005

Andrew,

If you ever get a chance to listen to 3.6s in surround mode do. They sound wonderful. The 3.6s and the "wing wall" Maggies sound good too. Maybe the wing wall type speakers would work for your room. I think you have enough space.

Comment

• Cowanrg
        • Feb 2004

maggie fan right here...

i used to have some 1.6QR's, but now have a pair of modified Tympani 1D's. i have new tweeters, a completely rebuilt tweeter panel (stiffened and reinforced, braced, etc...) with new crossover components and WBT binding posts. they will have active xovers soon enough.

they are pretty darn amazing. i havent heard much that can touch them for music. for HT i have heard better, but not a whole lot. they do need a little bass augmentation, so i have a pair of velodyne HGSx's to help out.

i use SMGc's for rears, but find no need for a center channel (no room for it, or for its amps either).

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I'm a Magneplanar/electrostatic fan in general. That will likely be my next large A/V upgrade, but It'll have to be several years agway.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

I like Magnepan speakers too. All Maggies that I've heard share many of the same traits of accurate and convincing midrange. It is in the upper and lower registers that they differ in capability. For instance, the models with true ribbon tweeters are not outdone by any competing models for sensational treble. Of course, the larger models can move more air in the bass, and therefore reach deeper. Being tall and not enclosed in a box, they throw out a convincingly large sound field. The cohesiveness up and down the range that they are of capable is especially rewarding with the MG 3.6s, which are a superb value.

If you have any doubts about Magnepan speakers in surround mode, check out the review that was in Ultimate AV: http://ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/704magnepan/ For the review, the magnificently musical Magnepan MG 3.6s were used for the front left and right main speakers, the magical CC3 center in between up front and the incredibly high value overachiever MG 1.6s at the rear. The test system also had a Velodyne FSR-18 subwoodfer for movie soundtracks with a really heavy duty .1 effects channel. I have heard this same configuration in a home theater, and it is sensational.

Of all the setups I've heard, it is definately the speaker compliment I would choose for incredibly involving surround sound and exquisite musical enjoyment in either two channel or surround multichannel. Add another Maggie center at the rear for a nearly perfect 6.1 system. (The CC1 will work nicely in that role.) I've also heard a surround system with the wall hanging models and it was also quite convincing. They do a creditable job on music as well. Try 'em -- you'll like 'em.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• DifferentLee
              • Apr 2005

Harry Pearson of The Absoloute Sound fame is a big fan of Maggies. He has said that the 20.1 speakers are the best bargain in high end audio.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"