X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
    The question may not really be "Is SACD dead?" but rather "When was SACD ever alive?".
    Intresting way of putting it. :lol:
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• stringzz
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by purplepeople
      Any way, I was aware of the wav capability of iPod. To me there is no reason to justify what is still a multi-buck expense when I can port around my CDs and my reliable Pana portable. As my cousin the studio engineer says... "Jens, it sounds like a portable." And he uses high bitrate files.
      Sorry for going off topic on this but it is an interesting side topic.

Purple, I understand the Ipod, or any HardDrive player for that matter, may not be the best solution for everyone, but it has it's pluses. It's a lot easier than carrying a portable CD player and 100 cds around. My point was to all the audiophiles who complain about the mp3 and how it will ruin music as the masses become accustomed to inferior (lossy compression) music. I just think that it does have a place, and I enjoy it. Would I listen to it on my 15k home audio setup, sure, but I would prefer to listen to SACDs or DVD-A's.

As far as the jitter goes, I thought that jitter has more to do with the transport, than clock and memory buffers. Otherwise, wouldn't every CD/DVD player have such a thing as your $100 portable cd player? This could spin off into another topic too! lol

Comment

• DifferentLee
        • Apr 2005

The question may not really be "Is SACD dead?" but rather "When was SACD ever alive?".
        I'm always amazed by the SACD bashing on a forum where people care about music. Mobile Fidelity and DCC had the same lack of titles and quirky catalogs but many talk about them as though they were the Golden Age. Why is Super Audio any different?

It has small market share but some 60+ albums come out regularly per month, it creates decent profits for boutique labels, and it has a large following of music lovers and audiophiles.

Hmmm, sounds like that other dead format vinyl...maybe death is under-rated.

Comment

• stringzz
          • Apr 2005

Good news as far as format wars go for Hi Rez audio/video! Sony and Toshiba have announced a unified format in the works where they will share technologies.

"Both sides have indicated that a new, unified format will use Sony's technology for recording information onto an optical disk while Toshiba will supply software that will handle efficient data transfer and copyright protection."

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by stringzz
            Good news as far as format wars go for Hi Rez audio/video! Sony and Toshiba have announced a unified format in the works where they will share technologies.

"Both sides have indicated that a new, unified format will use Sony's technology for recording information onto an optical disk while Toshiba will supply software that will handle efficient data transfer and copyright protection."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7794775/
            Wow! 8O I know this isn't set in stone yet but I really didn't think it was going to happen at all and that looks pretty dang promising! :P

I guess backwards compatibilty is likely out the window now though.....?
            Jason

Comment

• stringzz
              • Apr 2005

I would guess DVD-A would be backwards compatible since Toshiba is handling the software. Remember, Sony did not mention DSD with the new Blu-Ray spec, maybe because the unified format was in the works? Just pure speculation.

Comment

• purplepeople
                • Aug 2004

I guess the question is not whether DSD is better than PCM but which one yields results that can no longer be "heard" by 'philes, studio engineers, et al. Specifically, at what data rate does this occur for each scheme. For instance, does 5.7MHz DSD work out better that 36/192 PCM? I don't know, but it occurs to me that whichever scheme is better should turn out to be the archival format, and thus, the hi-res format of choice. Whether that is delivered on polycarbonate, optical HDD, magnetic HDD, flash memory or web download doesn't really matter.

I listen to 16/44 because it is relatively cheap and offers good mid-range quality (vs hi-res and MP3). I understand that a DAP is great for convenience, but that convenience is only worthwhile on aircraft where the background noise masks any semblance of audio quality. Even in an automobile, there are times when the engine is off and we are "parked" and listening to a little Meatloaf. If I bring a DAP to work, the commute might have a noisy background, but there is enough silence again when I get to the office to make CD's worth their physical weight.

ensen.
                Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• DifferentLee
                  • Apr 2005

I can say this based on several listening sessions: 24/192 is very close to DSD. Anything above 24/96 will be good enough for most audiophiles. I feel 24/96 is still lacking in detail and still does not get cymbals quite right.

I don't find that 16/44 offers good midrange at all. The tonality of the instruments is almost always lacking in accuracy.

Comment

• csuzor
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by stringzz

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7794775/
                    Looks like an announcement for hidef video, but nothing for hirez audio.

Do you really believe that record companies will release high quality hirez albums on a new media, which is incompatible with any high quality audio player currently available? or the reverse, that audio equipment manufacturers will convince us to purchase high quality players for a format which doesn't have any albums? Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? And for what: hirez audio doesn't need the extra storage capacity, and the material is sufficiently copy protected as it is.

If you follow the arguments for this new medium, we will all buy universal players for hidef video, and then record companies will ignore the existing installed base of dvd-a and sacd, and release new albums on the new format, and we will all buy these albums to listen to them on universal players originally purchased for video...

I am not convinced. That is why I believe dvd-a and sacd will still be active for a very long time. With my modest equipment, A/B comparisons of the sacd stereo and cd stereo layer always shows advantages for sacd (more breadth of sound), and when it comes to multichannel there is no comparison.

Anybody waiting to get into hirez because there is a format war for hidef video, is wasting years of increased musical enjoyment. You may come close to hirez quality with a highend cd player, but just imagine what you'd be hearing with a highend hirez player.

Christophe

Comment

• DifferentLee
                      • Apr 2005

I posted to a thread in A/V Chalet regarding the hidef formats. I do think these formats, used correctly (a big if) could help establish hirez. The best way to establish hirez is to find a way to make it downloadable though. That seems to be the future...why mess with physical discs?

Comment

• csuzor
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by DifferentLee
                        The best way to establish hirez is to find a way to make it downloadable though. That seems to be the future...why mess with physical discs?
                        Not sure I agree. The threat of illegal copying/sharing is a big incentive to keep the discs for artists and record companies, with good copy protection like dvd-a (OK) and sacd (best)... and I wouldn't trust several $1000s in albums to a few hard drives (remember, each dvd-a or sacd is 6GB or more).

Having said that, Sony will release DSD decoders in their upcoming PCs (others will follow for sure), so if you can download the file from somewhere (preferably your own purchased disc) to your hard disk, you can get rid of the that mess (as you call it).

Comment

• DifferentLee
                          • Apr 2005

Copy protection may be important to the labels but maybe you could create a digital rights scheme that allows you to make 7 copies or so like Apple does.

However, at the end of the day I think consumer market forces are too strong to deny. The downloading revolution will only gain more acceptance I think. This month's issue of Mix has some interesting articles on this...

Comment

• cdwitmer
                            • Sep 2004

FWIW, from the BIS email newsletter:

BIS-SACD-1527/28 J. S. Bach - Complete Organ Music EAN 7318591527282 TT: 20:08'21

Johann Sebastian Bach: Complete Organ Music INCLUDING Die Kunst der Fuge - 5 SACDs for the price of 2 - Ultra Extended Playing Time (Please note: These single layer SACDs can only be played back on an SACD player)

Hans Fagius, organ

New technology offers us new possibilities - sometimes unexpected ones! For instance, Gordon Gould, the inventor of the laser beam, cannot have envisaged the widespread uses it now lends itself to - including the possibility of enjoying great music in a home environment. Here it is the superior storage capacity of the Super Audio CD which has been used in an unconventional way, achieving what we call Ultra Extended Playing Time. What this means is that on only five (!) discs we have been able to fit in Hans Fagius' survey of Bach's complete works for organ, originally released on 17 CDs. The set has been highly acclaimed: in 1992, The American Organist wrote:"Among complete recordings of the Bach organ works, this set has little competition". And as late as in 2001 the critic of Classical Music Web concurred: "One of the best complete recordings of Bach's organ music. Fagius demonstrates a magnificent understanding of Bach's organ music, and the instruments used are excellent."

As if this wasn't enough we have in this release included the same performer's interpretation of Die Kunst der Fuge, bringing the total up to 20 hours and 8 minutes of music. What previously took up quite a bit of shelf space now fits snugly into a box not thicker than 3 centimetres, holding besides the discs a 100-page booklet with a newly written, insightful essay by Hans Fagius himself, plus full documentation (in colour) of the instruments whose magnificent sounds can be enjoyed on the discs. In order to perform this magic feat we have transferred the original recordings (done in 16 bits / 44.1kHz) to high resolution SACD stereo format, and then used the storage capacity of the SACD (usually employed for a surround mix as well as for a stereo mix) for stereo only. This has given us - and you! - more than four hours of available playing time on each disc, and all you need to enjoy it is an SACD-player! As you may imagine, we are quite excited about this - and we celebrate by offering these 20 + hours of glorious music for the price of only two SACDs!

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

I do think that new high-def discs will offer a new opportunity for more HD audio. When DVD came out, we did see new DTS discs, as well as audio/video discs with DD and DTS. With new HD audio formats on new HD discs, I think we'll see audio-only discs in these formats as well. Or the next evolution will probably be HD audio on these discs with video pictures, video, etc if they're played with a video display.

But technology progression, I see that in a few years instead of a CD player in every car, you'll see a HD disc player in every car. The high-end cars will offer video displays also for the passengers so you can watch movies, but anybody will be able to at least listen to the HD audio tracks of the discs.
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• DifferentLee
                                • Apr 2005

The high-end cars will offer video displays also for the passengers so you can watch movies, but anybody will be able to at least listen to the HD audio tracks of the discs
                                In Lexus cars, the rear entertainment system plays 24/96 DVD-Audio.

My belief is that for hirez to go mainstream it must be downloadable. On the other hand I believe mainstream is not the only goal. As an audiophile I would be happy to see it just hang out as a niche format.

Comment

• purplepeople
                                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by purplepeople
                                  I listen to 16/44 because it is relatively cheap and offers good mid-range quality (vs hi-res and MP3).
                                  I should have been more clear... and said mid-price, mid-pack.

ensen.

Comment

• csuzor
                                    • Nov 2004

Hey, who dares to say SACD is dead?

Number of titles released every month:
                                    A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

It's not much in the grand scheme of music releases worldwide, but it's enough to get all my monthly dollars (euros) allowance of disk purchases. Maybe it's time to negotiate a bigger allowance with my wife?!

Year Month Count
                                    2004 February 65
                                    2004 March 72
                                    2004 April 74
                                    2004 May 78
                                    2004 June 85
                                    2004 July 83
                                    2004 August 88
                                    2004 September 101
                                    2004 October 79
                                    2004 November 125
                                    2004 December 43
                                    2005 January 79
                                    2005 February 88
                                    2005 March 62
                                    2005 April 56
                                    2005 May 82

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                      • Apr 2005

I can say this based on several listening sessions: 24/192 is very close to DSD. Anything above 24/96 will be good enough for most audiophiles. I feel 24/96 is still lacking in detail and still does not get cymbals quite right.

I don't find that 16/44 offers good midrange at all. The tonality of the instruments is almost always lacking in accuracy.
                                      Interesting observation,
                                      Have you listened to 24/192 through something other than Maggies?

I love maggies but find them "soft" on detail, actually soft on everything. This is not a criticism - because I love the speaker - just an observation.

Perhaps the detail you're looking for is in a different tweeter type?

Comment

• methenyfan11
                                        • May 2005

Just a quick observation to add to the discussion of SACD. Up till now I had a solid mid-fi system (Kenwood, large Klipsch) along with a CHEAP SACD player (Sony DVD 975). EVen so, and perhaps especially because of that modest set up, the difference in sound quality between regular CD's and the better SACD's (Roxy Music's Avalon, Steely Dan's Gaucho), was staggering, night and day, even to buddies who were not into music and fidelity. I hope SACD or a simiilar format can suceed, because it's magic! Methenyfan11

Comment

• methenyfan11
                                          • May 2005

]Since many of us can barely tell the difference between SACD and CD.....

Just wanted to add that on my previous mid-fi system, the difference between even a good CD recording and the better SACD's (even played on a $100 SACD player) was impossible to miss.

Interestingly, the difference is a little more suble with the hi-fi system I'm now auditioning, but still, there is a clearly discernable difference to me and my pals, even taking the extra channels out of the equation. And I'm no hi-fi expert!

My conclusion is that if stores that sell mid-fi stuff would more actively support SACD and similar formats, it might take off. No store in my area had such a system set up, which dooms it to fail right there. People can't get excited about something they don't hear! I think even regular folks would hear the difference even they heard it A/B'd for them - all my non-hii-fi buddies did immediately!

Just my thoughts....

Comment

• mtodde
                                            • Jan 2005

I took the SACD plunge in February...my collection is 85 SACDs as of today and that doesn't count the 5 I ordered last night.

I went from a decent mid-fi system to my Rotel, Paradigm Studio & Denon 2900 set up and the more revealing system is a joy to listen to.

Comment

• Jack Keck
                                              • Jan 2005

Jack, you should take the plunge into hirez. You should hear the difference on Rti speakers.
                                              I did and, boy did I hear a difference. I'm going to start a new thread about it cuz the post will be kinda long.

BTY, my wife went along with this.
                                              Jack

"I walked in a lot of place that I never shoulda been, but I know that the Messiah, He will come again."

Roy Buchanan

Comment

• purplepeople
                                                • Aug 2004

Interesting that for others the difference is so obvious... must be my less than silver ears.

The reason I have not taken the plunge is that I can only hear the diffenence on my system when there is no ambient noise. IOW, late at night after the night clubs close, the fridge compressor isn't running and I've turned off the PC so I can't hear the fan. Only then, can I tell that SACD is better, and not in a palpable way, just smoother.

One more thing... I can hear this difference whether I am use the Marantz/Tannoys or my Yorkville actives. The player is a Sony NC650V and I am comparing Brubeck - Time Out on both SACD and remastered CD.

Of course, the difference is huge if I compare against my old party changer but that forces too much variation in analogue filters and even the error correction circuits. And, I've had some tell me that the comparisons work better when using high performance players like Wadia vs the SCD-1 but that's still not apples to apples.

The way I figure it, using the same player with the same music means you are comparing only the DAC or the format.

ensen.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

"Is SACD dead?"... You bet it is!

"Is SACD Dead?" Was the original poster's question. I dare say YES, without a doubt, no question about it. My first post to this thread was a bit more diplomatic, but not any more. I am taking a firm position on it now. DVD-A will rise from the ashes like the Phoenix Bird and crush SACD. I believe anyone that continues to invest in SACD hasn't learned the lessons taught from the Betamax play book... yet!

The so called "niche" that SACD has carved out for themselves will amount to nothing more.

Originally posted by csuzor
                                                  Hey, who dares to say SACD is dead?
                                                  I do! (No offense though.)

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                  Hmmm...maybe SACD is dead after all. If DVD-A's success is dependant upon Dual Disc, it may be dead too.
                                                  As I stated before, DVD-A can survive and surpass CD's to become the new "king" of digital audio if the DualDisk issues improve and I believe they will. Many times good technology will stumble out of the gate only to end up winning the race.

My position on this issue has been considerably strengthened after reading the "Round Table" article in the latest issue of TAS which included comments from David Kawakmai (Sony Director of the SACD Project), Bob Stuart (Meridian Chairman and Co-Founder) and Ted Cohen (President of Digital Development & Distribution for EMI Music).

Now is the time for all of us to unite and back the DualDisk, A.K.A. DVD-A, format as the very powers that be already have. :T
                                                  Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 23:28 Tuesday.

Comment

• csuzor
                                                    • Nov 2004

That's great, RebelMan, we need a hirez multichannel format, whichever it is.
                                                    I'll buy quality albums on that format, when they become available.
                                                    Just can't see any dvd-a that I like yet, though, and there are plenty of sacd on my wish list... is there a site that references all dvd-a like sa-cd.net?
                                                    Christophe
                                                    (it's a little tongue in cheek, but you get my point, right?)

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

I'll buy quality albums on that format, when they become available.Just can't see any dvd-a that I like yet, though, and there are plenty of sacd on my wish list... is there a site that references all dvd-a like sa-cd.net?
                                                      Christophe
                                                      Don't forget SACD has had a 5+ year head start. Give DualDisc a year or two and then ask again. Perhaps you will find http://store.acousticsounds.com/ to your liking? Or better yet how about this one... http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...dvda_title.asp

Touche'

Comment

• mitch57
                                                        • Nov 2004

I disagree with your backing of the DualDisk format for a couple of reasons.

1. My biggest gripe about DualDisk is it's non standardization with the content on the DVD layer. I own several DualDisks and check out most of the new albums that come out on Dual Disk. Here are my findings:

99 % of all the DualDisks I research don't even contain a true Enhanced Resolution Multi-Channel DVD-A recording on the DVD side. Almost every one of them are either Enhanced Stereo, or Dolby Digital. Most are Dolby Digital. I'm getting to the point where I don't even want to bother picking up the Dual Disk off the store rack only to turn it over and find that there is no DVD-A content on the DVD side. Last time I checked Dolby Digital wasn't considered a "High Resolution" format.

2. It's non standard thickness has been an issue and still is an issue for a good portion of the players out there. My Integra won't play the CD layer at all. It won't even read it. I have also had problems with some DualDisks playing the CD layer in my car player as well. Who wants to pay money for a CD/DVD that doesn't work? Not to mention most of the DVD/CD manufactures won't warranty a player that get's damaged by a DualDisk.

In it's current form I see DualDisk as a total failure and have no intention of backing it unless I start seeing more ture High Resolution content on the DVD side. I also won't support it's format until they resolve the issues with it's non standard/non Red Book format.

That's my 2 pennies worth.
                                                        Mitch
                                                        :stupidpc:

Comment

• cuda65
                                                          • Feb 2005

The Dualdiscs I have bought recently will not play in my car. I do like some of the extras on the DVD side. But overall it is just okay.
                                                          Doug

Comment

• Phil Rose
                                                            • Aug 2000

I happend by the new release CDs in Target the other day and found a Los Lonely Boys disk. I'd recently seen them on Austin City Limits, they were superb, and was excited to find this disk UNTIL I noticed it was a Dual Disk. I left with "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" instead. I guess that I'll have to search other outlets for Los Lonely Boys on CD.

Comment

• gd
                                                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by mitch57
                                                              1... DualDisk... non standardization with the content on the DVD layer... don't even contain a true Enhanced Resolution Multi-Channel DVD-A recording on the DVD side... Most are Dolby Digital.

2. It's non standard thickness has been an issue and still is an issue... Not to mention most of the DVD/CD manufactures won't warranty a player that get's damaged by a DualDisk.

... issues with it's non standard/non Red Book format.
                                                              Those are the exact reasons to reject this format... there is simply no added value (throwaway video of music celebrities is not added value) on a DualDisc, certainly not from a musical or compatibility perspective... it's just a shiny gimmick aimed at joe6pack ("Look! It's got pictures on it!").

Low-quality usage in a buggy delivery system... is that the computer business model or what?

Since video apparently rules all , better to wait for the forthcoming hi-res video format(s) to take hold, on to which hi-res music (DVDA, SACD, or better yet, one new standardized format) can piggyback... and then stealth-market it so that eventually everybody can have affordable universal players -- it's the only way to grow a substantial catalog of hi-res music titles.

I enjoy both DVDA and SACD, but I'm also kinda over it... 99.9999999% of what I listen to is on redbook... not real eager to re-acquire titles all over again -- again.
                                                              greg (gd to you)
                                                              Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                                              production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

mitch57, I actually agree with most of what you are saying. If you read my earlier post, I said that DualDisc has issues that need to be worked out and yes the level of sound quality needs to improve.

However, both CDs and DVDs had their fair share of problems when they were first introduced and if you know anything about the DVD-A specification, you will realize there is a lot of liberty given to the manufacturer as to how much “resolution” they can or will included on the disk. In time, the DualDisc issues will be overcome. DualDisc is just a catalyst that DVD-A needs to survive.

gd, The corporate big wigs would disagree with you on the value added part of your comment. In fact, they believe that the contrary is what will give DualDisc its edge. Furthermore, BOTH high definition formats support LPCM and not DSD. Weather you like it or not, DSD has a bleak future. The new standardized format will be LPCM ala DualDisk ala DVD-A.

Red Book will live on for some time, but DVD-A will become its successor.

Comment

• nutcracker
                                                                  • Jun 2005

Anyone checked out Sony's Qualia 007 SACD player?? what a gem.....$8000 or so in Japan. and the speakers which accompanies them?? ($7000 extra), or the Qualia 010 headphone?? They're all designed specifically for sacd playback / listining, and after seeing them recently at Sony Qualia's tokyo/ginza showroom, I can't manage to believe they've given up on sacd format.....

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by nutcracker
                                                                    I can't manage to believe they've given up on sacd format.....
                                                                    Well they have, it's just not that apparent yet. History has a way of repeating its self, especially in Sonyland. You'll notice this if you have been keeping score with them. It took a while for the industry to notice when Sony finally gave up on Betamax, DAT and the Minidisc. Now these formats belong to the "Where are they now?" club and SACD will evenually be joining them.

One could argue the Qualia series is just Sony's way of showing off their current state-of-the-art prowess. Another might say Sony is showing their reluctance to let go, again. In either case, SACD is no longer significant.

Comment

• nutcracker
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2005

As a matter in fact, I'm looking into purchasing a new sacd player. I just don't see so much worth in buying a redbook cd player anymore, especially when we can now stream it off pc. I'm seriously considering the high end SONY SCD-XA9000ES, Price online is around $1800, a good bargain from original $3000. Do you think Sony will release a replacement for xa9000es soon? Its been 2 years since its 2003 release, and I'm confused if sony dropped the highend sacd line altogether or not. I would not enjoy seeing a new one released right after I dropped a sizable investment for xa9000es.........THANKS

Comment

• ProAc_Fan
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2005

Nutcracker just sit on your hands for a while and that SCD-XA9000ES will be available for less than 1K. I had a Toshiba SD-4960 universal player that was SACD compatible. I did audition a few SACD's and I wasn't all that impressed by the format. It was "better" than redbook CD but lacked the analog warmth of good ole vinyl.

Mike

Comment

• csuzor
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ProAc_Fan
                                                                          I did audition a few SACD's and I wasn't all that impressed by the format. It was "better" than redbook CD but lacked the analog warmth of good ole vinyl.
                                                                          Mike
                                                                          Well, some people will never move away from vinyl, for many good reasons that are theirs. But judging the format with a simple universal player, and ignoring the advantage of multi-channel, and the other inconveniences of vinyl, does not provide for a fair judgement. There are many who have taken the time to do it right, and their high-end turntable is now sitting idle.
                                                                          Sorry Mike.

Comment

• ProAc_Fan
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2005

There are many who have taken the time to do it right, and their high-end turntable is now sitting idle.
                                                                            Sorry Mike.

Recent trends indicate many audiophiles are rediscovering vinyl after being brainwashed with the myth that digital was somehow superior. I've heard that even the big retailers like Circuit City may be bringing back a vinyl section. I don't listen in multi-channel because ( call me pigheaded) God gave me 2 ears and not 5 or 6 or 7. That crap is fine for movie sound effects but not for serious musical enjoyment. I assume SACD will go the way of Beta and I'll be spinning some nice MFSL vinyl.

Mike

Comment

• aud19
                                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 16706

#83
                                                                              Recent trends indicate many audiophiles are rediscovering vinyl after being brainwashed with the myth that digital was somehow superior. I've heard that even the big retailers like Circuit City may be bringing back a vinyl section. I don't listen in multi-channel because ( call me pigheaded) God gave me 2 ears and not 5 or 6 or 7. That crap is fine for movie sound effects but not for serious musical enjoyment. I assume SACD will go the way of Beta and I'll be spinning some nice MFSL vinyl.

Mike
                                                                              OK that's just silly :roll: I have nothing against vinyl or 2-ch, infact I quite enjoy both of them but if you're trying to tell us that music can only be properly reproduced out of two small boxes, you live in a fantasy land IMO :lol:

If you've ever heard live music, I'm sure you've noticed that the sound usually comes from more than just relatively small, single points on either side of a stage. Not to mention the ambient sounds of both the music and the crowd all around, beside and behind you. Now if you don't think that multichannel tracks, when properly mixed, have a better chance of aproximating the atmosphere, spaciousness and general musicality of those environments... well I just don't know.

Granted not all MC mixes are done properly and the gimmicky ones tend to annoy most of us (but the same can be said for gimmicky stereo mixes) but when done properly, I don't know how you could find the experience inferior. I very much appreciate good 2-ch audio but IMO good music, that's well mixed is at least if not more enjoyable when reproducing more accurately the atmosphere and spaciosness of the intended, original music.

Vinyl has it's place no doubt, it's analog nature very satisfying to our analog ears but don't discount digitals smaller and more convenient size, easier use and lower maintenance. SACD and DVD-A happily bring us much closer to the warm and full analog sound that vinyl offers with the additional ease of use of digital media. Having the added bennefit of being able to reproduce the atmosphere and spaciousness of the music by utilizing MC is just all the better
                                                                              Jason

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Apr 2003
                                                                                • 1204

#84
                                                                                Originally posted by nutcracker
                                                                                As a matter in fact, I'm looking into purchasing a new sacd player. I just don't see so much worth in buying a redbook cd player anymore, especially when we can now stream it off pc.
                                                                                I had exactly that same opinion until last December when I purchased a 2 channel setup for my study library. It had a mid priced dedicated (redbook) CD player that brought my whole CD collection to life. Untill then I had always thought that a CD player was a CD player and they all sort of sounded similar. Well the truth is, if one uses the DACs in their receiver or processor, then they all will sound pretty similarly lifeless. However, as I discovered the DACs in some CD players are far supeior to those found in our receivers/processors and they can really bring the ol "redbook" CD to life. Since then I have purchased a Shanling CDT100 CD player that has upscaling as well as a tube analog output stage that can be used alternatly to some pretty decent internal DACs or the player can be used like any other to deliver digital bitstream. The warmth and life of the tube analog CD output stage needs to be heard to be appreciated.

It should be noted that I haven't purchased a single SACD since December, and I've swiped the six SACD interconnects off my modified Denon 2900 to use on the Shanling.
                                                                                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 10933

#85
                                                                                  Mike
                                                                                  This attitude and behavior maybe acceptable at AudioKarma, but it doesn't fly here.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it's just that, an opinion, it's not dogma, so chill.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Phil Rose
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 142

#86

Mike
                                                                                    Much the same argument was made when stereo was introduced. Sound is immersive and not from a single point source. To believe differently is to be fooling ones self. Most rooms stink for being able to recreate the venue and MC is an attempt - as long as ping-pong gimicks aren't used - to approximate the real space.

As for all the trashing of Sony, I guess that when your a big target people take shots at you. Sony is one of the major technology developers and aren't afraid to invest in new technology for us consumers in an effort to devlop new markets for their products. By your logic we should all be driving Model-Ts.

I like SACD. I like RBCD. I like Vinyl. - It's all about the music and NOT the format.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 2703

#87
                                                                                      I like SACD. I like RBCD. I like Vinyl. - It's all about the music and NOT the format.
                                                                                      It cannot be said much better than that!
                                                                                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• aud19
                                                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 16706

#88
                                                                                        Originally posted by Phil Rose
                                                                                        I agree :yesnod: Well put :T
                                                                                        Jason

Comment

• mitch57
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Nov 2004
                                                                                          • 429

#89
                                                                                          Originally posted by John Holmes
                                                                                          I'll third that.
                                                                                          Mitch
                                                                                          :stupidpc:

Comment

• Nick M
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Nov 2004
                                                                                            • 5959

#90
                                                                                            Is SACD Dead?
                                                                                            Not at my place it's not! :T
                                                                                            ~Nick

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"