X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RACER4551
    • Apr 2004

Which sony mega-disk player?

Been contemplating purchasing either the dvp-cx985v or the dvp-cx777es and cant decide which one to get.The es model is about three hundred more on an average and was wondering if it was worth it.Any thoughts?
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Great question......

Not sure which Sony model I saw locally but it looked like a solid piece of equipment. Would sure be handy for it to double as CD storage.
    ......Pat

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

The DVP-CX777ES has a 5 year warranty, better DACs and a RS-232 interface that the DVP-CX985V doesn't have.

Otherwise, there's not much different about them, other than the color: the 777ES is silver and the 985V is black.

Comment

• RACER4551
        • Apr 2004

I just have concerns on which player would have the better cd playback, and how the video side would compare to my denon 2200.I plan to keep the denon for dvd audio playback.Would the es model have better cd playback over the non-es model?As i plan on using this as my primary cd and dvd player and also have a front projector in the works also.The only thing i dont care for is the silver color on the es model,but i could get used to it if it is the better player.The 232 connection would be an added plus also,knowing that the gui on these players are difficult to operate.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Todd,

For best results sonically, if you are going to use the DACs (digital-to-analog converters) in the player, then yes the 777 is the way to go. That means the player does the converting of the signal into analog and sends it to the amp section of the receiver. This is done by running the L/R RCA-type cables from the player to the receiver or pre-pro. If you are going to use the DACs in the receiver or pre-pro, then the player is (to a point) less of a concern and the less expensive would probably suffice. With this option all processing is done in the receiver/pre-pro and you connect the player to the receiver via a single digital cable which carries the unmodified signal.

What it boils down to is - again - listening to the combinations and going with the option that sounds best to you. Just make sure the retailer has "loaners" or a good return policy so that you can experiment.

Good luck!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• RACER4551
            • Apr 2004

Thanks for the input david,dont have any dealers local that i can listen to either model .My current setup consists of an arcam mcd alpha 6 disk changer using the analog out to my rotel 1068 pre for cd's and for dvd and multi-channel i am using my denon dvd 2200.Speakers are B&W'S.I am pretty happy with the sound quality right now but am looking for a player to replace the arcam maybe for the convenience factor of having all my cd's and dvd's in one player and using my denon for dvd audio disks.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"