X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stockinv
    • Jan 2005

Storms

Being in the Midwest, this time of year we often get severe lightening storms.
    Apart from disconnecting all of my equipment, is there anything else that can be done to prevent lightening damage? There's also the possibility I might not be home when a storm hits.
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Good question.

A few storms around here too. We also get some kind of brief power surge from time to time that, when the reciever is in standby it will mysteriously be turned on...start playing music on the tuner.
    Here are some manufacturer names but I've never gone as far as checking into them..........Richard Gray...Furman...Middle Atlantic...Surge-X...Brickwall

Maybe someone else has some experience with or some ideas....
    Last edited by Patt; 14 April 2005, 06:56 Thursday. Reason: capitalization:^)
    ......Pat

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Budget will be a big concern here. If you have the means, the Brickwall units are my recommendation as they aren't an MOV-based suppressor and subsequently won't lose their ability to absorb surges.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• benny
        • Jan 2005

Yep..

I also recommend the Brickwall. They don't really hype it up as a line filter, but there was a noticeable difference when I plugged my components into it. Check 'em out.

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Hey Stockinv, you may want to check with your local power company, some offer whole whose surge protection for a small fee each month, they come out and install it plus offer insurance along with the service.
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• ToddAnisman
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Stockinv
            Being in the Midwest, this time of year we often get severe lightening storms.
            Apart from disconnecting all of my equipment, is there anything else that can be done to prevent lightening damage? There's also the possibility I might not be home when a storm hits.
            The best way to deal with this is Transformer isolation. This can be accomplished in a couple differnet ways:

A) An online UPS. Not cheap, but look on the bright side they give you Voltage Regulation, Surge supression, Clean sine wave, and you get to listen to your tunes while fumbling for a flashlight.

B) A serious Balanced Audio solution i.e. Equi=tech or equivalent, coupled with a good Voltage regulator in front of it.

Also, Isolating your ground away from your Home Grounding can really help. A dedicated Gorund Rod that is not tied into your Home Power (Make sure it's not in your conduit either!) Can help, especially if you have a lightin Rod....

I was in Thailand, they have serious lighting/thunderstorms, but their online UPS catches all of it....

hope this helps

-Todd A.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"