X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

The Good The Bad The Ugly

I dont understand the dynamics and specifications of speakers so can someone actually advise if this is a good, bad or okay spec for a 6 x 50 watts RMS Home Theatre speaker system , what is two-way spk and if someone can also explain what these mean :

Loudspeaker boxes
    • Magnetically shielded front and center
    • 4 Two-way satellite speakers (L, R, SL, SR)
    - Frequency Range: 120Hz~20kHz
    - Impedance: 4 Ω
    - Drivers: 3" full-range woofer
    1" piezo
    • Two-way Center speaker
    - Drivers: 2 x 3" full-range woofer
    1" piezo
    • Subwoofer with horizontal/vertical option
    for flexible installation
    - Frequency Range: 30Hz~120Hz
    - Drivers: 6.5" high efficiency woofer

Audio performance
    • Audio DAC : 24 bit, 192 kHz
    • Signal to Noise ratio (1kHz) : >95 dB
    • Frequency response : 30 Hz - 20 kHz

CLASS D Amplifier
    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

The Good The Bad The Ugly

I dont understand the dynamics and specifications of speakers so can someone actually advise if this is a good, bad or okay spec for a 6 x 50 watts RMS Home Theatre speaker system , what is two-way spk and if someone can also explain what these mean :

Loudspeaker boxes
    • Magnetically shielded front and center
    • 4 Two-way satellite speakers (L, R, SL, SR)
    - Drivers: 3" full-range woofer
    1" piezo
    • Two-way Center speaker
    - Drivers: 2 x 3" full-range woofer
    1" piezo
    • Subwoofer with horizontal/vertical option
    for flexible installation
    - Frequency Range: 30Hz~120Hz
    - Drivers: 6.5" high efficiency woofer

Audio performance
    • Audio DAC : 24 bit, 192 kHz
    • Signal to Noise ratio (1kHz) : >95 dB
    • Frequency response : 30 Hz - 20 kHz

CLASS D Amplifier

Comment

• m_bathke
      • Mar 2005

Sounds like a Logitech surround sound setup for a computer.
      -Magnetically shielded means they will not affect TVs or computer moniters.
      - the two way means that each of the 5 surround speakers have two actual speakers in them, with one of the speakers handling the highs(1" piezo tweeter) and one handling the mid/bass(3" full range).
      -the impedance is kinda low but the amp I am sure can handle it because it comes with it right?
      - Anyway this sounds like a decent system for on a pc to be used with gaming or casual movie watching, but it hardly seems like a proper hometheater set-up.
      I guess it is hard to comment on anything else because, it is imposible to know how something sounds based soely on what you stated.

Comment

• saurabh
        • Feb 2005

Its a philips HTS LX3600D/69, yes a decent bet for medium sized rooms with 300 watts RMS output.

Comment

• m_bathke
          • Mar 2005

Yeah I would most definately pass on that system, if the dvd player breaks you are out of everything, and they go bad quite regulary on systems like that. I know I work for a company that sells them and I do every thing I can to talk people out of buying them so I don't have to listen to people complain when they break. Anyway if you are looking to get by on the less expensive side I would look into a hometheater in a box by a company like Yamaha, at least that way if you decide to upgrade your speakers later you already have a decent reciever. As for the dvd player the sony's and yamaha's are ok for around $130US. I just won't buy what you are looking at because you will just end up with a headache and an empty wallet.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The cross over freq to the sub is a little higher then we'd like to see but its not to uncommon for very small speaker systems like this appears to be. What's your budget?

Comment

• saurabh
              • Feb 2005

Well well unlike the US, here I dont have many choices, I went through a demo between this model and sony but found no lateral difference in the sound, the others available in this range were samsung, LG and then there were the big bosses like Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo and Nakamichi. The problem with the big bosses is their limited presence and support here and the big price. I do not want to invest in the big bosses and then have to throw them even incase of a simple fault, so I guess this is a safe bet for THE beginning.

Comment

• m_bathke
                • Mar 2005

If I was going to get any of the systems you are looking at (with the DVD player built in), it would probably be one of the LG's. But I still recommend that you get one that doesn't have the DVD player built in. Here in the US, you can get the lowest end Yamaha system for about $300, but if the price is much higher there and you found a sony in your price range(without the DVD player in it), I would say get that sony.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"