X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spookyslow
    • Oct 2004

Question about Bryston 4B NRB?

Can someone lend an opinion on this amp? I was leaning toward a Rotel 1080, but have an opportunity to pick up a Bryston for a real bargain.

I've heard various opinions about the difference between Bryston and Rotel, but I've never heard this amp. It was released before I knew anything about fine audio so any help/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  • SpOoNmAn
    • Sep 2003

any Bryston is awesome. If youre getting a bargain, this is a no brainer.

one reason alone...

20 year transferrable warranty, no questions asked. That amp could have a new owner every 2 days and bryston will take care of you. They are the only company to do this for that length. thats peace of mind. Throw in the sound and build quality...

a no brainer in my opinion.

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
    GameTracker -My List-
    Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Spookyslow
      • Oct 2004

Thanks for advice...I'm almost afraid I'll fall in love with Bryston and have to upgrade everything!

Any comment on the sound difference between Rotel and Bryston? I've heard them described as very different. I happen to like the 'Rotel sound' (some describe it as harsh), but I certainly know a good opportunity to upgrade when I see it. :T

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

FWIW, the last Bryston I heard was a 2500 (I think) about 4 weeks ago. The overall clarity and also the strength/control of the bass was superior. But unfortunately Lawrence, I've not heard the 4B to compare.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
          • May 2004

Hi Spooky,

I have done a head to head with a Rotel RMB 1095 (5X200) and a freinds early model Bryston 4B (NRB?). The Rotel won out. Now, compare that Rotel against a newer 4B ST or later and the Bryston wins out. As for harsh highs in the Rotel, I found that the Bryston is more capable of reproducing harshness from your upstream components or demanding more from your tweeters than the Rotel. (which can mean constant upgrading until you are happy). Therefore, I feel that the Rotel amp will fit into most peoples existing systems better than the Bryston.

Cracking!

Comment

• Spookyslow
            • Oct 2004

CO,

That's great advice--I really appreciate it. I've been leaning toward the 1080 anyway. It's newer (it matches my stuff) and I know how it sounds!

The Bryston is a great amp, and that 20 yr warranty! Wow! But it's a big question mark on sound quality b/c I've never heard it. I figure that, along with your review is enough to go with the Rotel.

Thanks again!

Comment

• eddiem67
              • Jun 2004

I just received a Bryston 4BST its 4 years old, this amp is awesome, I hear notes that I never knew were there before. I was debating the same thing with Rotel and Bryston my funds said Rotel, but my gut said Bryston, I am glad I went with my gut instincts.
              My Car Audio

Comment

• TimRawson
                • Oct 2004

I've tried a couple amps and once I tried the Bryston I knew I wouldn't be satisified with anything else I could afford (used brystons in my case). Very natural sounding to me and unrestricted. Never feel like there is not enough power as I had with some other amps. Had started by trying out a 4B, then bought a newer 4Bst and lexicon branded bryston 5b to fill out the other channels. Feel like this setup will keep me happy for quite a while.

Comment

• Duke
                  • Dec 2004

Hey Spooky. I have the 4b-ST and a 5b-ST and I like them very much. I have had them for a number of years. They control my speakers very well. Everything from bass to highs are great. And you should know that the power ratings are conservitive. The 4b puts out 300 watts and the 5b puts out 150. It is not harsh to me. All in all very good amps. :T

Comment

• Fife
                    • Apr 2004

I just received a Bryston 4BST its 4 years old, this amp is awesome, I hear notes that I never knew were there before.
                    Wait until you try out the SST. You will hear even more detail!

Comment

• JazzGuyy
                      • Nov 2003

Nrb

The NRB series is two generations ago. It preceded the ST series which was followed by the current SST series. The NRB's are at least 6 years old but that means that they still have a good long life on the warranty.

Comment

• juntiu
                        • Nov 2005

its difficult to go wrong with the bryston especially the power amps. Built like a thank and excellent customer service. Sound is also very good especially for the $.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"