X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

crown xls402 pro amp?

Was wondering if anyone uses this type of amp for their system.They have a big-to-do over at avsforum about these amps.How are they used as in comparison to a reg. amp.They dont have 12v trigger.They seem to be alot cheaper priced also.Just trying to get as much info as i can on this type of amp.I have a rotel rsx1056 that i would like to add an amp to in the future.thanks
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Rick:

There's been a lot written of late regarding using pro amps vs. 'regular' amps in an HT environment. First, they are powerful and can really wallop a punch. Two, they are generally less expensive than their 'regular' counterparts; they are much cheaper on a per watt basis as a result. Three, for all the power they put out they are relatively compact units that are light weight --- space and weight become less of an issue, again vs. their 'regular' counterparts. Four, they have gain controls on the front which help the user further define the volume emanating from their system (regular amps must be controlled via the pre/pro or receivers management system).

Some drawbacks to consider especially in an HT environment:

1. Most have fans and they can be loud! Not really appropriate if you have your equipment in the same room as your HT. The Crown model you are looking at has a fan. I have not 'heard' this amp but if it is like any other pro amp, the fan or housing design + fan can be loud. The Crown K1 or Crown K2 are fanless pro amps --- but they cost a lot more (e.g., the MSRP of the XLS 402 is ~ $520 (US) vs. $2,650 (US) for the K2).

2. The THD on the pro amps is generally considerably higher (without after market mods) than their regular counterparts. This may cause issues in an HT environment particularly if the amp is meant to power some main speakers.

I use two different pro amps to power my passive subwoofers. They have great Damping Factors which serve bass response very well hence the application. I've used a pro amp to power my mains and I was truly surprised (amazed actually) at how well it sounded. But, it didn't have a fan for if it did, this would be a clear no-no regardless how good it sounded.

Hope this info helps you a bit. Fire away with more questions as need be.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• rick c
      • Aug 2004

Well the fan would scare me off too.But i read that the fan in the 402 is very quiet and only audible if you get right up to it.How do they sound as compared to maybe a rotel 1080,as far as brightness or warm.I prefer speakers that are more to the warm side.Ex. i like the way my B&W sound with my rotel but would like to get the most out of them,which is why i may add an amp later down the road.But of course budget would be an issue hence the pro amp.Also do you know if they have a three channel amp,for l/c/r.thanks

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

No 3-channel version pro amps that I know of. As these speakers are becoming more mainstream with HT enthusiasts, my guess is we'll read about more combos such as the one you are asking questions about (i.e., how would a pro amp sound with B&W speakers compared to Rotel). I have not listened to this amp (XLS-402) in any manner so I cannot comment how it would sound. And, I can't comment on how the fan sounds.

Sorry....

Jim

P.S. You do know there are other non-pro amps that are 3-channel in design, or were you specifically asking about 3-channel in pros?

Comment

• rick c
          • Aug 2004

actually i would love to get the rotel 3 channel amp i believe its the 993.Undecided if i should just get a three channel or 5channel.But it all comes down to budget which is why i asked about the pro amps.Maybe i should just wait longer to save up and get a rotel amp.Right now dont know what the better option would be either 3 or 5 channel.I listen to 75-80 % ht/tv the rest music ,both 2 channel and other modes.

Comment

• jimmyp58
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Earthquake makes a 3 channel version of their CineNova amp --- the Grande 3. It is a killer amp and very reasonably priced. What is your budget? Bryston also makes a 3 channel amp --- 6B SST but based on your comments, this one would be out of your price range.

Jim

Comment

• rick c
              • Aug 2004

Pretty sure my budget will be very small.Probably between 300-700 range.The earthquake would be over my head.Maybe a used rotel could be found when i'm ready.Still not sure how many channels will be best.(2,3 or 5)

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Hi,

If anyone wants to try these amps, forum sponsor Parts Express (just a mouse click away in the logo above) has them at a great price. For example:
                > Crown K2 $1399 with free shipping (rec retail is $2547) and this baby does 500W a channel into 8 ohms, 800W into 4 Ohms.
                > Crown 402A with free shipping is $329

Then there is the awesome Crown Studio Reference Amplifiers also at lest than half price...

Geoff

Comment

• jimmyp58
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

Geoff:

See your PM.

Jim

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

Crown does now make multichannel amps (up to 8 channel I think), but they are in their higher end line, and almost certainly do NOT have quiet fans.

We're using them in the equipment racks for our audio systems in our rides and shows.

BB

Comment

• jimmyp58
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

They make a CP660 which is a 6-channel amp; their CT series comes as a 4 or 8 channel version. Their specs claim the fan is ultra quiet but who knows.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"