X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Garay
    • Jan 2004

Pro-amp advice to drive woofers

Trying to choose the best of these options:
    1. Used Crown MacroTech 1200 for $500 (includes shipping)
    2. Almost new Crown CE2000 for close to $450
    3. Almost new Crown CE1000 for $325
    4. Behringer EP2500 new for $379

I'm looking for a pro-amp to drive a pair of SCC300 12" woofers. These are very efficient, 90.2db at 8 ohm. 200 watts is plenty. But I want to be ready in case I upgrade to some less efficient woofers such as the JBL1500 or others that do better with 500Watts + at 4 ohm.

Thanks,

Al
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Macrotech isn't fan cooled, so no worries about fan noise. All the others have pretty loud fans.

The Behringer is the biggest bang for the buck. It's basically a copy (some say a complete rip-off) of a QSC. Pretty new on the market. To date people aren't reporting any problems with them.

The 2000 and 1000 are bottom feeding of the entire Crown line. So really built to a price point and no more. They do of course have Crown's famous 3 yr no-fault warranty

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Al Garay
      • Jan 2004

I was hoping for your input Thomas. The quietness is important. The CE series has fans that do not run all the time like the QSC and Behringer. And I read that Crown can provide a quieter one as replacement. I bet all of these are adequate and better than a used Adcom, Hafler ... short of buying a used Aragon which would be much more than $500.

I can get a new QSX PLX1602 for $560 includes free shipping. Dang! Used MacroTech 1200 for $500 or new PLX1602 for $560?

Al

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Actually if it's just for bottom end the big older Haflers aren't all that bad. Their top end is sort of like fingernails on a blackboard........ :E

There's really no such thing as a 'quiet' fan. So between your choices I'd opt for the Macrotech.

Are there any Aragon 4004's floating around? Those would be a good bottom end amp as well.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I bought a Samson S1000 to power my subs with as its fan noise levels were hyped as been low and its the same amp SVS sells with their non powered units...its nice enough and has plenty of power but its far from quiet...at least to my anal ears Its not a problem for me though as I just left the amp on the top of the gear rack on the other side of the common wall beside the IB so I don't hear it inside the room but I guess I'd just becareful when someone tells you its a quiet amp

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by ThomasW
            The Macrotech isn't fan cooled, so no worries about fan noise. All the others have pretty loud fans.
            Oh yeah it is. Sure you aren't thinking of the microtechs? I have two MA 2400's and a MA 3600VZ, and the fans on these are anything but quiet. Mine are in the bedroom closet above by HT.

Or did Crown update them when I wasn't looking?

My 2400's are noticeably less loud than the bigger one, so the 1200 might be a little less noisy than that, but it will certainly be an issue.

Now if you can find a way to eliminate the noise being an issue, the macrotechs are absolutely great amps for this purpose. They have never even strained a little driving my stuff (2 stryke HE15's on the big amp, 3 stryke lambda sb10's and a clarke synthesis tactile transducer on the other two). Agree with Thomas about the CE line. I'd skip those.

I'd look at the QSC if you can't get around the noise issue.

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Oh crap! You're right I got them mixed up ..... ops:

People should just buy K1 or K2 and forget about fans.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Al Garay
                • Jan 2004

I downloaded the owners manual and found that the Macrotech does have a cooling fan. Of course, the seller says they are quiet. Crown does list a quiet fan as an option.

So, which will sound better, run cooler... Crown Macrotech 1200 (used $500), CE2000 ($412) or QSC PLX1602 ($560)?

Al

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

When all else fails I look at the weight of a product. The QSC is like 21 lbs, the Crown is 44 lbs. There's a reason for that difference ..... :wink:

Get the Crown IF it's in good condition.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

For a a noise level reference on the Crown (fan is always on at the same speed), the 2400's are about as loud as a rather loud PC, like a workstation. I have heard louder pCs, but not many. Somewhat louder than my projector even when it's fan kicks into high. It is not "quiet" in the sense that you won't notice it if you are listening to music.

I used to have them downstairs in the rack, and they weren't noticeable (mostly) during a movie, but with music, it was an issue.

Still, $500 is a good deal on one of these. I'd get it if I were you. It would not be hard to turn around and resell it at no loss if you can't solve the noise problem.

BB

Comment

• Al Garay
                      • Jan 2004

I ordered the Crown Macrotech 1200.

If anyone is interested in a Hypex HS200, let me know.

Al

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

Since this is a fearless, do-it-on-the-cheap, DIY forum....

Most "quiet fans" just run slower so they make less noise. No real rocket science - less speed, less cooling, less noise. You can slow down the fan in a pro amp with a resistor in series. Measure the DC resistance of the fan to get an idea of the right resistor value. Some people even disconnect the fans completely as most home users don't pump the power like a touring band so overheating isn't a problem. To help the fanless cooling, you can stand the amp on end so convection moves the air the same direction as the fan.

Comment

• Al Garay
                          • Jan 2004

I'll be traveling a bunch in the next 2 weeks. Then, I will hook up the Crown to my Ellis 1801s and see how loud the fan is and whether it smokes my AKSA 100N monoblocks.

Standing the amp on end will not be required. It might not fit the cabinet real well ... not including the WAF.

Thanks,

Al

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"