X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimRawson
    • Oct 2004

Poor man DAC

While I know the best DAC to get is likely the Benchmark.... Would like to try one in the 100-300 range (thus unload if I can't hear the difference). I think back to when I listened to an arcam player with a heavy metal (to test harshness of amplification) DOWN.... was dumbfounded by the extra musicalness of some guitar riffs I hadn't heard before on other systems.

But what are some other recommended ones on the used market? I recall seeing some threads mention some, but search is coming up with much right now.

Any DAC's have multiple inputs?.... Thinking the DAC route as I'd like to give it a whirl for computer provided digital streams and possible cable/sat box dig output (all dem music channels).

Thanks
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

A nice moderately priced DAC that's getting some good press is the Musical Fidelity X-DAC. Runs around $400 new. Being an owner of the MF A3.2CR component-size DAC, I can vouch for the sound- and build-quality of their products.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• watchthewaves
      • Jul 2004

You could try looking for the M-Audio SuperDAC 2496. A budget pro audio DAC that is value for money.

Comment

• TimRawson
        • Oct 2004

Hmm... any of them have tryout/return policies? I'm somewhat skeptical I'm a critical enough listener to notice over the dac's in my prepro. Don't want to be in the spend 100% more for 5% improvement situation.

Unless there's a known used DAC that can be resold easily or is likely to be a keeper (audiogon).

Thanks

Comment

• TimRawson
          • Oct 2004

Anyone familiar with Arcam delta DAC boxes? Picked on up off ebay for 100 bucks to give a whirl. Then if bitten by having a dedicated DAC, would try that m-audio superdac down the road or put benchmark off on the horizon.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Tim, I'm not familiar with the delta-DACs, but Arcam (in general) puts out a good product for the money. Keep us posted on your thoughts on the Arcam's performance, okay?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"