X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ratchetfps
    • Jun 2010

Final Coat?

I'm going to be finalizing my mini-statements next week and am a bit apprehensive about the final stages of painting. I have been researching the variety of finishing suggestions for weeks now and am pretty confident on the first stages of my finishing process:

1] Seal all large gaps and problem areas with Bondo
    2] Sand entire cabs with 320grit
    3] Coat cabs with wood glue/water mixture (planning to experiment with ratio...I've seen everything from 1:1 to 3:1 glue:water suggested)
    4] Allow to harden, then sand with 320grit
    5] Coat of primer
    6] Coat of color
    7] Wetsand
    8] Coat of color

...now here's where it gets a bit fuzzy for me. I am shooting for a flat/satin black finish, so I don't need to spend a ludicrous amount of time wetsanding. My question is: what should I do to finalize this process? Should I coat with rattle can clearcoat? Should I use some sort of laquer? Should I, perhaps, just leave things be with the final coat of color?

I am less concerned with protecting the speaker finish as I don't anticipate many bumps/scratches. I just want a straightforward process to get a nice "flat-ish" finish. Any thoughts/suggestions/links are GREATLY appreciated!!
  • sdl2112
    • Mar 2006

I have some of the same questions. I would be happy if I could match these results.

Chuck (Impala454) made a suggestion to build a thread based on peoples' finishes. So, one could look at pics and make some educated judgment on possible finishes. Lets post some pics, and try to keep the discussion down as none of us want to hunt through 6 pages of chit chat for that one awesome pic :D Here's mine: Statement

Chuck (Impala454) made a suggestion to build a thread based on peoples' finishes. So, one could look at pics and make some educated judgment on possible finishes. Lets post some pics, and try to keep the discussion down as none of us want to hunt through 6 pages of chit chat for that one awesome pic :D Here's mine: Statement

Good idea to try it on a test piece first.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:00 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide urls

Comment

• Bill Schneider
      • Sep 2007

Hey, I recognize the pictures in those links!

I did those smaller speakers using rattle cans of Krylon semi-flat spray paint, no overcoat. For best results, I wouldn't try to use a rattle can on a large baffle or cabinet. However for about $150 you can have a small compressor and detail spray gun which works fine for speaker-sized projects.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zdt35_baffle_populating-28tsml.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	948375

Since I painted this baffle, I've moved on to a larger compressor, but I still use the small $40 gravity-fed gun from Lowe's.

Here's a link to build logs that include painting notes for the various speaker projects I've completed...

Bill Schneider, audio, loudspeaker making, DIY loudspeakers, williamrschneider, speaker building, lx521, pluto, pluto+

I've been using General Finishes Milk Paint for recent projects (including the one in the photo above). It's water based for easy cleanup, and has less smell. I don't overcoat the paint, but I do prepare the surfaces to be painted thoroughly. That includes the use of spot putty before priming.
      Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:02 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
      My audio projects:
      http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• sdl2112
        • Mar 2006

Those look great! I will definitely be referencing your build logs in the future.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"