X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tabasc07
    • Oct 2007

Clear coat question

My dad and I finished building to subwoofer cabinets and he wanted to give them that piano black finish. We never really used paint, mostly just veneer. We used Kilz for the primer and Rustleoum semi gloss black for the paint. Just to double check, what type based clear coat should be used? Thanks in advance.
  • tech9_79
    • Apr 2008

its really a pain in the a$$... whatever clear you use do a test piece first or you could mess up your finish. i used a oil based black and brushing lacquer, did not work. Here read this thread, especially the last 2 pages.

high gloss finish

Comment

• royceb
      • Jun 2006

I just tried a piano black finish myself. I first used brush on lacquer and then tried the spray-on from Rustoleum. I think I brushed on the lacquer too thick as the paint cracked 24 hours after I put on the third coat. I re-sanded and repainted the box and used the spray on lacquer instead. I am happy with my results, but it is no where as good as that link above. I think you need a good paint sprayer (I used a roller brush ops: ) to get that result.

I will recommend that you purchase the microfiber sandpaper from Rockler. It comes in grits of 1500 - 12000. The lacquer finish was so smooth after sanding.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"