Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Efalegalo
    • Jan 2007

What to build with parts on hand? Recommendations needed

As technodanvan works on the "Singularity" build, while waiting on his Ardents to be completed, I too am eager to start another speaker project while the Isiris Mini design is being developed.

As opposed to buying additional drivers, I figured I check my current inventory and see if fellow forum members have any suggestions on how these parts can be utilized together.

Tweeters (2 of each):
    CSS - LD25X
    SB Acoustics - SB29RDC-C0004
    SB Acoustics - SB26ADC-C0004
    Satori - TW29RN-B
    Peerless - DX25TG59-04
    Peerless - DX20BF00-04
    Tranducer Labs - T26CS-6
    ESS - Great Heil AMT

Waveguides (2 of each):
    WG-300
    Visaton WG-148R

Mid (2 of each):
    Peerless TG9FD10-04
    Peerless TC9FD18-08

Mid-Bass:
    SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-8
    SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-8
    Thiel - DRWF-053-001
    Satori - MW16P

Woofers (2 of each):
    Dayton DA215-8
    Dayton RS225S-8
    CSS - SDX10
    Dayton Titanic MK4

Additional info:
    -Happy to build a bookshelf or floor-stander, but prefer floor-stander
    -If two drivers above work well together, but a third needs to be purchased - I can be open to that (though preference is still towards using parts on hand).

I did find the following thread at PartsExpress - TechTalk: Budget Duelund Three-way , utilizing the following parts:
    Peerless - DX20BF00-04
    Peerless TG9FD10-04
    Dayton DA215-8

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Efalegalo; 15 June 2021, 12:08 Tuesday.
  • tktran
    • Jan 2005

Recommended kit or established design?

Or which drivers to use if designing your own 3 way floorstander?

Comment

• Efalegalo
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by tktran
      Recommended kit or established design?

Or which drivers to use if designing your own 3 way floorstander?
      Well - maybe the latter. I'm hoping forum members here may have used the aforementioned components before and can make suggestions on which combinations (2-way/3-way) to try.

I too have thought of some options (e.g, Heil AMT + Dayton RS225, or the CSS-SDX10+Theil+CSSLD25X) - but open to recommendations.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Dual Dayton RS225 in a cardioid woofer enclosure, MTM with the Heil, and dual rear firing SDX10's pressure zone loaded to the back wall. Maybe an active LR4 crossover at 125Hz - 150Hz, depending on your calculated room Schroeder frequency, between the SDX woofers and the RS225. Consider PR's or maybe just a light Linkwitz transform on the SDX10's.

This is your homework assignment... for the next six months? :T

:W

References:

Even if you live in a studio apartment, you have at least two listening rooms. Well, in a sense. Every listening room is, in essence, two listening rooms when you look at it from the perspective of sound.To midrange and treble frequencies, your listening room is like a billiards table. Like billiard balls, mid- and high-frequency sounds tend to bounce all around your room, until they run out of energy. Because of this frenetic reflection, midrange and treble frequencies spread pretty evenly — or diffuse — throughout a room.

In part 1 of this article, we discussed the Schroeder frequency — a frequency above which your listening room works primarily as a sound reflector and diffuser, and below which your room works primarily as a resonator. As I showed in part 1, this is not merely a theory, it's a law of physics, easily demonstrable in any room.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• technodanvan
          • Nov 2009

That's a heck of a homework assignment!
          - Danny

Comment

• Efalegalo
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by technodanvan
            That's a heck of a homework assignment!
            Haha - I couldn't agree more. Glad Jon gave me six months ;-). While I doubt I'll take this project in the direction Jon posted (if for no other reason than too many additional drivers will need to be purchased), I did find the articles posted to be an interesting read.

It makes me wonder if there is any point in building full-range speakers without first verifying whether the ultimate placement of speakers (typically only one option in most households) will allow for sufficient bass performance as the listening position.

With that said, I'm typically not a huge fan of bookshelves. While visually they take up less space, they still occupy the same (similar enough) floor space (after considering the stands) as floorstanders and are more prone to being tipped over.

Comment

• technodanvan
              • Nov 2009

You have some really nice parts lying around, are these from projects that fell apart or just knowledge you might want to use them someday?

I tend to agree on bookshelves vs. floorstanders, for a dedicated music area it just makes more sense to me. That said, the links Jon provided do suggest a moderately sized bookshelf with sub(s) may make for a better experience unless you can EQ the bass section of the floorstanders.
              - Danny

Comment

• Efalegalo
                • Jan 2007

Danny,

Some were retained parts from sold builds (e.g. CSS SDX10 from Continuum 3-way), while others were from partial trade/sale deals, and few from impulse purchases from special sales (e.g. Heil, Peerless mids, etc.)

I guess I could go with a bookshelf, with a pair of sealed 1.0cuft CSS SDX10 - running off a MiniDSP-HD + Plinius Amp (sats) + QSC PLX3402 (subs).

Just messing around this evening with some inexpensive parts (Peerless - DX20BF00-04, Peerless TG9FD10-04, Dayton DA215-8). Seems like there is potential here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	N9AfoYE.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	935551

Tweeter (click to enlarg):

Name:	Hy8m7VB.png
Views:	147
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	935552

Mid (click to enlarg). Don't know what going with the squiggles from 500Hz - 2,000Hz - might need to re-do measurements

Name:	rJY5Mxv.png
Views:	148
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	935553

Woofer (click to enlarg):

Name:	830LSYs.png
Views:	140
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	935554

Name:	8ncj45V.png
Views:	143
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	935555
                Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 18:07 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• technodanvan
                  • Nov 2009

Promising indeed, nothing wrong with a high value design. Good looking plan for the baffle as well.
                  - Danny

Comment

• Zvu
                    • Oct 2013

Well, that's one road I'd approve Efalegalo. There's been some effort to make something very similar into commercial project but Covid f*ed it up big time.

First test cabinet

Speaker baffle

Tweeter measurement

Click image for larger version  Name:	merenje1.png Views:	0 Size:	372.0 KB ID:	935557

Second test cabinet

Click image for larger version  Name:	test2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.2 KB ID:	935558

Tweeter second measurement

Click image for larger version  Name:	merenje2.png Views:	0 Size:	385.9 KB ID:	935559

Third test

Click image for larger version  Name:	drvo2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.9 KB ID:	935560

Click image for larger version  Name:	drvo1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.2 KB ID:	935561

Prototype - MDF coated with 3 coats of PU varnish to seal it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20200607-005756.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	935562

Measurements of prototype

Tweeter mods
                    DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

Further development

Click image for larger version  Name:	22.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	935563

Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.0 KB ID:	935564
                    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 18:14 Tuesday. Reason: Update image description
                    Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• gregrueff
                      • Jun 2020

Hi.

I’ve done an homage to Jon’s work with these drivers as well.
                      In my opinion, the woofer is the weak link, but the midrange and tweeter are worthy of a very serious woofer.

I’ve been testing drivers (http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1441425-driver-testing) in this other thread. I thought it was finally time to share what for. Reading Jon Marsh’s adventures over at htguide has definitely inspired me here. All credit to Jon. Nothing I’m trying here is an attempt to do

Cheers!
                      Greg

Comment

• Efalegalo
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by gregrueff
                        Hi.
                        In my opinion, the woofer is the weak link......
                        Greg,

I agree with you. Took some distortion measurements of the DA215, and there is something funky going on around 1.8Khz. Now --- in all honest - the woofer is mounted in a poorly built box. Something very quick and (maybe a bit too) dirty.

I'm going to build another box and make sure it's adequately sealed and re-try taking measurements.

Name:	SoEZpOY.png
Views:	134
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	935565
                        Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 18:12 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• tktran
                          • Jan 2005

The squiggles between 500Hz and 4Khz is a combination of baffle step and edge diffraction, depending on the driver placement on the baffle and the mic position (reference axis)

Getting that area between 1-4KHz smooth and flat for all off aids angles is a pain, and I think one of the key things to do to resolve it, or at least make it easier, is to put a big fat 1” roundover on the sides, or an asymmetric chamfer like Zvu’s baffle.

At the very least that way you don’t get misled when you are trying to optimise for the on-axis.

I know I’m supposed to optimise for the listening window, but then my phase tracking isn’t as nice…

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"