X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Final Schematic Post

Documentation getting wrapped up this weekend- schematic, will be included in the final PDF, of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Modula MT II Schm.jpg
Views:	4220
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	854310
    Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 20:22 Friday. Reason: Update image location
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

Really nice looking schematic there. Good to see that adjustments can be made for voicing the speaker to ones room, system and listening preference.

Just wondering about the BSC. How far these can be placed out in the room, away from the back wall?
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

These incorporate full baffle step compensation based on the measured location for the original data- 1 meter out into the room.

I suppose I could have taken that even further, but a speaker of this size is most often used (in my experience) in smaller rooms, and a typical distance from rear wall of maybe 12" to 20", which will warm them up a little bit, in the midbass, but not much- and with the wide power response in the 1 kHz and above area, this doesn't seem a problem perceptually.

Placed in a typical mediocre position 18" from back wall, 28" from floor, which can lump up the bottom end due to the distribution of boundary resonances, they're still quite listenable and not at all heavy, though for someone used to listening to large systems placed close to a wall, they'd probably sound light.

Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 20:22 Friday. Reason: Update image location
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• spadez
          • Jan 2010

If they are placed only around 4 inches from the wall, is it possible to compensate for that using slightly different resistors, or does the speaker need to be modified more than that?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

I tried it about that close, about 6", and I didn't see any issues- it warms up the bass response a bit, but due to the narrow front panel (relatively), the BSC shouldn't be changed even their.

Often with more conventional designs, particularly larger ones, placing this close will tip up the lower end response, which can be a problem if the power response in the upper range doesn't keep up- when I mean power response, we're talking about the averaged response over a large forward arc. The waveguide seems to improve this a lot without making the on axis hot- as a result, they seem less position dependent.

The ones I delivered two weeks ago replaced small set of JBL book shelfs, and the comment of the recipients (family of sorts) was that "everything is more "there" - the highs are clear even over in the living room, the voices are clearer, and the bass is crisp" (that's a direct quote; now, I've never before heard the term crisp applied to bass, but I suppose that's one way of describing articulation?) These were placed on a furniture piece about 10" from the wall.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Re the TMM

A few folks have been asking for details about the TMM, so since wrapping up the PDF is taking a little longer than I expected, I'm posting some of that info now for those who are curious. It's more of a perfectionist design, and some of that is due to the fact there are more issues to address which can arise as a function of the topology.

The notes in the Schematic window explain the what and whys if the "optional" parts are left off to save bucks.

This version I also expect to sit a little further from the wall, and I did some pyscho acoustic tweaking to more optimize the sound for classical music considering the wide power response the crossover and waveguide combination delivers- obviously it's easy for people to tweak that with the same kind of resistor adjustments I outline in the MT schematic. This is what I preferred after a fair amount of listening to one proto in mono.

Re the LF zobel with 12 mH inductor, this can use the skinniest wire imaginable and high DCR; just subtract the value from the total value of R9, though even that isn't critical. HOWEVR, it is flatter with 8 ohms total DCR than say, 10 ohms. I used a Jantzen 18 AWG inductor with DCR of 2 ohms, and 6 ohms for R9; R9 should be in the 50W or more range.

Name:	TMM-WVG-Xover.PNG
Views:	5501
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	854329
              LspCAD Crossover

Name:	TMM-WVG-SPL-Plot.PNG
Views:	3561
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	854330
              LspCAD SPL

Name:	TMM-WVG-XfrFunction.PNG
Views:	3461
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	854331
              Transfer function curves for the three drivers.

Name:	TMM-WVG-Z-plot.PNG
Views:	3469
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	854332
              Impedance plot with input impedance zobel in place.
              Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 20:24 Friday. Reason: Update image location
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

Hey Jon,

Really nice work and you're pushing the envelop in design, as usual. One question though, do you find the zobel network on the woofer that levels the electrical transfer function around 100hz, as one of those "a-ha" type discoveries that you'll incorporate into future designs as a rule of thumb, or is it something more specific to the variables within this design? Based on the impedance graph and comparing it to what I've seen in the industry, there appears to be more than one reason for its implementation. Really this isn't much of a question, more of a pondering of sorts, but I'm still curious.

Jed

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

My experience and thoughts on this Jed, are that it seems to be desirable whenever one has a LF crossover function with some drivers (at least the ER18RNX- probably an impedance curve interaction) with a low pass function under 500 Hz, or with inductors in the range of 3 mH + for 8 ohms, maybe 1.5 mH or so for 4 ohm.

The thing is, you can model and measure this interaction with even more conventional two way designs, but the effect is smaller, as regards the amplitude error.

In this TMM design, I felt the amplitude error was serious enough to correct- to get rid of the peaking at 125 Hz and the dip in the 40-50 Hz area. The thing is, to me, it definitely sounds better, too, more articulate and natural- you can talk all you want about amplifier damping impedance, but it's what's happing right at the driver that counts, and as you know, the XsubL impedance as well as the DCR affect the actual driver damping.
                  With the Ardent and a 4 mH inductor in series with paralleled ER18RNX, the effect is just that much more obvious, as you can imagine, and the need and benefit even more pronounced.

Sometimes people seem to get away without this with somewhat low crossover frequencies- like the Statements - without recourse to LF zobels. OTOH, Curt doesn't show modeled amplitude behavior below 100 Hz. And I suspect it has a lot to do with the shape of the impedance curve, and the degree of phase shift and impedance going up into the 100 Hz area.

With both these and the Ardents I verified the presence of the amplitude anomalies predicted with LspCAD to the measured response, so it's not a modeling quirk.

Practically speaking, I'd only commit to the comment that for these systems, this is necessary to fully optimize the system capabilities. Maybe other drivers and alignments don't need that. I'll put that to the test very soon with the TMWW 2.5 way version of these in development/construction (D2608/9130 + ER18RNX + 2x RS225-4). Who knows? Should be interesting to see how that pans out. At least, I don't think the crossover will be any more complex!! :W
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• spadez
                    • Jan 2010

Hi Jon,

Just something I was curious about. You have made a TMM and a TMWW, but why is it there is no modula TMW? This seems like a logical step inbetween the two, with the woofer probably handeling the low end better than a midrange speaker with a low crossover.

Also, am I correct in assuming the TMWW and the TMM use the same waveguide system as the TM?

Schematics looks really good though, thank you for spending the time to put it all on the net for us.

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Thanks Jon.

And the new proposed 3 way with the RS225s sounds interesting as well.

Jed

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Well, it's more a mad scientist kind of idea, it seems to pan out on paper, but there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip. I should be doing some test measurements for it and the Modula Xtreme today, the true three way in this series.

Have a good weekend!
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by spadez
                          Hi Jon,

Just something I was curious about. You have made a TMM and a TMWW, but why is it there is no modula TMW? This seems like a logical step inbetween the two, with the woofer probably handeling the low end better than a midrange speaker with a low crossover.

Also, am I correct in assuming the TMWW and the TMM use the same waveguide system as the TM?

Schematics looks really good though, thank you for spending the time to put it all on the net for us.

Funny thing, I was originally thinking about a 2.5 way TMW at one point, but within the selection of feasible and more reasonably priced drivers (i.e., no driver for over $100), dual RS225-4 seems to make more sense, with only a slight price increase over a single ER18RNX.

And yes, all of these Modula MT variants use the same waveguide/tweeter system with the ScanSpeak D2608/9130 + MCM H-65. That combination is a real honey.

Later today I should be testing the Millenium Excel tweeter with H-65 waveguide for the Modula Xtreme- it's all assembled and ready to go, but it's lunch time!!
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• benchtester
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                            ... dual RS225-4 seems to make more sense, with only a slight price increase over a single ER18RNX.
                            I am following this thread with interest, but I am wondering why and how you are going to use the RS225-4's. Will they be parallel or series? How will this configuration compare to dual RS225s-8's in parallel? (Also, I am under the impression that the RS225s-8 has better low-end extension than the -4.)

Thanks for all the postings.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by benchtester
                              I am following this thread with interest, but I am wondering why and how you are going to use the RS225-4's. Will they be parallel or series? How will this configuration compare to dual RS225s-8's in parallel? (Also, I am under the impression that the RS225s-8 has better low-end extension than the -4.)

Thanks for all the postings.

Hey, don't worry, this is confusing everyone, I suppose it could be confusing me, too, but I think I have a handle on it! :W

The plan here is two RS225-4 in series for the 2.5 way TMWW. Voltage sensitivity will remain the same for two 225-4 wired in series re overall output as one, but the impedance doubles and the power handling doubles. The RS225-4's in series will constitute the 8 ohm driver for the 0.5 part of the 2.5 way. Target is to have an adjustable alignment via toggle switch for either near boundary placement or placement out into the room, with useful response into the low 30's but rolling off fast below that. These are standalone for music, and if you want true sub like extension, get a sub.

Low frequency extension is dependent on many factors, including ported versus sealed, damping as a function of T/S parameters, particularly Qts, etc. Now, in this specific design, I'm going after some rather specific things- they key point to keep in mind is that this is NOT a three way system, but what I hope is a cunning tradeoff to increase output compared with a straight TMM at little additional expense. The TMM crossover is documented above.

Now, the weirdness or Twilight Zone Factor (TZF) comes in that rather than just adding a second identical midwoofer for the 0.5 driver (conventional thinking - can be a bit of a rut to fall into), I'm going to use a different driver setup. Furthermore, because everyone I know has their significant others always complaining about speakers being too big, I'm playing some games with the choice of driver and T/S parameters and using the Flux Capacitor Alignment (FCA, don't forget that, there will be a pop quiz later) to make trade-offs for enclosure size and roll off rate, and be able to use a larger drive in a smaller box without a bit Qtc bump. Has been done years ago by some companies in England, there are a few things you'd best be careful about it, but the concept has merit, in selected conditions, in my opinion. Properly executed, it seems you can get a well behaved sealed alignment with good damping and passband but with a 3rd order roll off instead of 2nd order. (BTW, ported are 4th order, just to put that in perspective).

I used to be a fan in the 70's of doing weird things to drivers to make them work in unusually small boxes; ask ThomasW sometime about the slot loaded 15" Audax Pro woofers he used to run as subs before building his IB. Designed those in the late 70's; the same driver in a conventional sealed box of the same volume had an Fc of 65 Hz; these were flat to about 30. No getting around Hoffman's Iron law, just playing some acoustic games to make the response work out the way you want in a selected area, and with the sensitivity they originally had, it was no issue. It did require a very low Qts driver to work well- about 0.2.

The FCA alignment doesn't require anything more special that a fairly large VAS and a Qts in the range of 0.45 plus or minus a bit. The RS2225-4 is just fine. The RS225-8 isn't.

I've already modelled this for the RS225-4 and the Scanspeak 26W/12867; I'm just finishing building text boxes this afternoon to verify the hardware. Proof will be in the pudding soon, or I'll be scratching my head with an embarrassed frown...
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• villastrangiato
                                • Jan 2010

I've already modelled this for the RS225-4 and the Scanspeak 26W/12867; I'm just finishing building text boxes this afternoon to verify the hardware. Proof will be in the pudding soon, or I'll be scratching my head with an embarrassed frown...
                                Just curious, I can't seem to find the 12867 version of the 10" Scanspeak - is this a current model? The nearest one I can find that is still being sold is the 26W/8861 which like most Scanspeak Revelator woofers has a pretty high Vas of 234 liters and a modest .31 Qts. Since the Dayton is set at 38 liters - how can these two be modeled for the same box - or am I missing something?

Comment

• benchtester
                                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by villastrangiato
                                  Just curious, I can't seem to find the 12867 version of the 10" Scanspeak - is this a current model? The nearest one I can find that is still being sold is the 26W/8861 which like most Scanspeak Revelator woofers has a pretty high Vas of 234 liters and a modest .31 Qts. Since the Dayton is set at 38 liters - how can these two be modeled for the same box - or am I missing something?
                                  It's my understanding that the 26W/12867 was a limited "buy-out" special at Madisound; all gone now. I also believe they were an OEM model.

Comment

• Face
                                    • Mar 2007

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.
                                    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Sorry for any confusion resulting from lack of specificity of my explanation; they've not been modeled for the same box, but for the same type of application- different size enclosures. The RS225-4 is for the Modula TMWW project; the 26W/12867 is for the Modula Xtreme project, which is a true three way.

The published Qts on the 12867T is 0.45, which is about what production 26W/8867 actually are- in the range of 0.4 to 0.45- apparently because the magnets aren't energized as strongly as for the original prototypes on which the 26W/8867 specs are based. The OEM's 26W/12867 were available at a very attractive price, and the resulting system impedance will be a bit more benign with two in parallel on each side. In practice, I think the same design will be realizable with the 26W/8867, with a corresponding boost in voltage sensitivity, and out of pocket cost. :W
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ray_D
                                        • Apr 2005

RS225-8 Data

Jon

Are you basing your comments on the RS225-8 on your own measurements or the PE data sheets? My measurements for four RS225-8s that I have had for several years are quite different that the data sheets for Qt and Vas.

My measurements for Qt are 0.452, 0.480, 0.489 and 0.480 as opposed to 0.38 data sheet; for Vas I got 47.4, 41.1, 39.4 and 43.1 as opposed to 75.3 on the data sheet.

I would be interested in whether others have measured these drivers and have similar findings.

Ray

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Was basing comments on published specs and early measured samples... looks like they're slipping from the sound of what you're quoting. When did you buy yours? My RS225-8's are from 2006 or so. My RS225-4 are just arrived (that version has only been out a year and a half or so anyway).
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ray_D
                                            • Apr 2005

In 2006 Sometime

Was basing comments on published specs and early measured samples... looks like they're slipping from the sound of what you're quoting. When did you buy yours? My RS225-8's are from 2006 or so. My RS225-4 are just arrived (that version has only been out a year and a half or so anyway).

Jon

I bought them sometime in 2006 to build some RS225/RS150/RS28 3ways which I did with DM crossovers. I never put them in permanent enclosures though.

I did not have measurement capability then. I bought SE a couple of years ago. I made the measurements recently because I wanted to do a 3-way with a ZA14 replacing the RS150. I did that and subsequently am listening to a RS225/RS180/RS28A TMWW now.

My measurements of other drivers such as RS180s that I have in my HT are pretty close to the data sheet.

Ray

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Then you've probably got solid measurements. All I know for certain is that the set of RS225's I got were ordered right after they became available- I don't know for sure if that was 2006 or what...
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ray_D
                                                • Apr 2005

Just in case

Then you've probably got solid measurements. All I know for certain is that the set of RS225's I got were ordered right after they became available- I don't know for sure if that was 2006 or what...
                                                I'll measure them again tomorrow to see if I screwed up somehow.

I know MarkK uses them. Maybe he can chime in with his data.

Ray

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

Yeah, well I'd gotten turned on to the RS225 when it first came out because of seeing some of the other RS parts up at his place, and his first measurements.

Well, you know what they say, stuff happens. In this case, though, with this funny approach for using small cabinets, I want a Qts in the 0.45 range.

BTW, did testing of the SS 26W/12867 today, and it looks like this technique will work fine for enabling their use in 1 cu ft each without big Qtc bumps in the in box response (for that size, it's about 3-4 dB maxing out at 70-80 Hz. With the right size cap (blue trace), can calm that down nicely as well as extend the low end a bit.

Name:	W26 Curves.png
Views:	13814
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	854356

The target for the Modula Xtreme is a relatively small system with very low distortion drivers that is quite clean to somewhat unreasonable levels for it's size. Double 26W's with 9 mm Xmax on tap and a 7" Accuton midrange should do that... :B
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 20:24 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ray_D
                                                    • Apr 2005

Re-measured RS225-8s

I measured my four RS225s again. It turns out I did compute the test box volume incorrectly. The Vas did come up some but nowhere near the data sheet. They averaged 49.5 liters which is still a long way from 75 liters. My Qts averaged 0.492 which is considerably higher than the 0.38 of the data sheet.

I suppose I could be doing something wrong; but, it seems straightforward and my other driver measurements seem consistent.

Ray

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

Thanks, Ray- interesting feedback. That would indicate I could use the -8 also in this sort of configuration- useful information to have.
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• evilskillit
                                                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Ray_D
                                                        I measured my four RS225s again. It turns out I did compute the test box volume incorrectly. The Vas did come up some but nowhere near the data sheet. They averaged 49.5 liters which is still a long way from 75 liters. My Qts averaged 0.492 which is considerably higher than the 0.38 of the data sheet.

I suppose I could be doing something wrong; but, it seems straightforward and my other driver measurements seem consistent.

Ray
                                                        Have the drivers undergone any sort of break in? I've seen some drivers TS parameters change pretty significantly after undergoing a day or 3 of break in. Tho some don't change as much as others tho.

Comment

• Ray_D
                                                          • Apr 2005

Hmmmm

Originally posted by evilskillit
                                                          Have the drivers undergone any sort of break in? I've seen some drivers TS parameters change pretty significantly after undergoing a day or 3 of break in. Tho some don't change as much as others tho.
                                                          Well, I never did formal break in; but, they have been used since 2006.

Ray

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

I dunno, Ray, do you suppose 4 years might be rushing things a little? Sometimes I prefer a solid decade of burn-in before serious T/S evaluations... :rofl:
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dmalphur
                                                              • Jun 2007

Is a circuit diagram or white paper of this "Flux Capacitor Alignment" available? I have 4x RS225-4's that have been waiting around for the right application, and this might be the one.

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                                • Dec 2008

these guys stole your bamboo idea!! :rofl:

ascend
                                                                Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by savage25xtreme
                                                                  these guys stole your bamboo idea!! :rofl:

ascend

No kidding! And I found out at RMAF last October that Bamberg Engineering Sound Lab (BESL) did, too! At least at the show- you still wont' find anything about it (well, I couldn't) on the web site).

And I found out that Salk has been building a system using LBL, too, from a write up about the AK Fest.

Name:	salk-HT4.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	929442

About $18K for the pair.

Very industrial looking, if a tad reddish for my preferences. I bet they go deep in the bass, looks like a lot of the effort went there in the HT-4, though I understand they have a 10" woofer version, too, for about $12K per pair.

I just guess I'll stick to my near field mini-monitors like the Ardent. :B
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 20:26 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Is a circuit diagram or white paper of this "Flux Capacitor Alignment" available? I have 4x RS225-4's that have been waiting around for the right application, and this might be the one.

Ray

Not really. Basically, it's just using a series cap with the LF woofer, adjusted in value to tweak the response curve by phase shifting the current and killing the Qts peak and extending the low end somewhat. It requires a moderate qts driver with high VAS for optimal behavior. SS 26W's are good candidates; for an 8" 26W/8867, the series cap will be in the range of 400-600 uF, depending on how you want to tune the Q. In the example posted above for the 26W/12867, the blue trace was 400 uF.

It's an attractive proposition if
                                                                    • You have drivers with a Qts around 0.45 to 0.5
                                                                    • They have a low Fs free air, and fairly high VAS,
                                                                    • You want a small enclosure but lots of driver radiating area (swept Sd) to keep the distortion down
                                                                    • You don't care much about reproducing bass below the mid to low 30's.

I have two system concepts in development/construction using/testing this idea:

a 2.5 way TMWW using modified PE cabs, (derived from the Modula MT MkII)

and the Modula Xtreme, a compact full three way using modified PE cabs, and higher end drivers, including the Accuton T6-C90 midrange, a waveguide tweeter setup, and dual 26W/12867 woofers on each side. Sort of a FrankenSpeaker. Something relatively petite that will hopefully have the SPL and distortion of an Avalon Isis in the 35 Hz to 20 kHz range, but smaller and much easier to build. Not as sensitive as the Isis, of course, only about 85 dB/watt (but that's per watt, not 2.83 VRMS), and very benign to drive. That should still be good for lots of dB's with 100-200W/channel, with dual 10" woofers with 9 mm Xmax.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding, and the pudding hasn't been baked or sampled yet. But enough measurements have been done to establish viable proof of concept. And as Jed documents, the 26W is a very clean machine.
                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                    M8ta
                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                    Isiris
                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                    Calliope
                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• evilskillit
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2008

I dunno, Ray, do you suppose 4 years might be rushing things a little? Sometimes I prefer a solid decade of burn-in before serious T/S evaluations... :rofl:
                                                                      HA, yeah I'd call running anything for more than a few days under just about any circumstances a break in. I'd like to know what your idea of formal break in is A week running a sine wave at its resonant frequency at xmech?

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2002

Paul Hilgeman was the first one I saw use LBL several years ago in his commercial Ronin (custom OB coax with a Dayton bass bin). His stuff is a little different with flat bamboo sandwiching the vertical plies.

Name:	overlay.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	929443
                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 20:26 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• BOBinGA
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2009

Originally Posted by Ray_D
                                                                          Ray,
                                                                          Your RS225 measurements still do seem a little off. When you made your measurements, did you use the spec sheet Sd of 216.4 cm^2 or did you use your own measurements? If you used your own, did you remember to subtract the area of the phase plug since it doesn't move? I don't think this will account for the entire difference, but I have seen it make a significant difference when I input driver data into WinISD.

I'm interested since I have an old pair and I don't yet have a way to measure the TS parameters. Thanks,

-Bob
                                                                          -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                                                                          My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                                                                          The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 15282

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                                            Paul Hilgeman was the first one I saw use LBL several years ago in his commercial Ronin (custom OB coax with a Dayton bass bin). His stuff is a little different with flat bamboo sandwiching the vertical plies.

There are a number of different laminated bamboo constructions available, some more readily than others- I've seen the one you show in pictures, but haven't come across a vendor carrying it.
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 20:27 Friday. Reason: Update image URL
                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                            M8ta
                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                            Isiris
                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                            Calliope
                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2004
                                                                              • 5568

I've talked to folks about using bamboo for ages (including, IIRC, Paul H - I don't know if he tracked down a source using info I had on hand or he found one elsewhere) - I don't even remember where the topic first came up but I was thinking of using it even back when he hosted the first ever DIY event I attended.

I usually start by giving Teragren a call to find out who warehouses the stuff semi-locally. In most cases I would have to either order an entire bundle, or I'd have to find a 3rd party that buys regularly and go in on some with them.

The various counter-top LBL Teragren has are awesome, sometimes quite stunning.
                                                                              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2002
                                                                                • 3791

Looks like Paul is throwing in the towel on being a speaker manufacturer. Tough business! His web page is down and there's a goodbye message at audio circle.

Comment

• Ray_D
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2005
                                                                                  • 164

Data sheet

Originally posted by BOBinGA
                                                                                  Ray,
                                                                                  Your RS225 measurements still do seem a little off. When you made your measurements, did you use the spec sheet Sd of 216.4 cm^2 or did you use your own measurements? If you used your own, did you remember to subtract the area of the phase plug since it doesn't move? I don't think this will account for the entire difference, but I have seen it make a significant difference when I input driver data into WinISD.

I'm interested since I have an old pair and I don't yet have a way to measure the TS parameters. Thanks,

-Bob
                                                                                  Bob

I used 216.4 cm^2.

Ray

Comment

• BOBinGA
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2009
                                                                                    • 303

Thanks Ray.

For the guy that asked about a formula for flux capacitors, see Tony Gee's Black Box design over in the PE Projects site:

Tony is the only designer I know that can make Jon's crossover and box designs look simple, but he has some good info on his Humble Homemade HiFi site.

-Bob

It looks like Emotiva uses flux capacitors in their big speakers:
                                                                                    Image not available
                                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 20:28 Friday. Reason: Update image URL
                                                                                    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                                                                                    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                                                                                    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• spadez
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2010
                                                                                      • 83

Hi Jon,

Are the drivers you have in mind for the Xtreme set in stone, or could they change? Im just trying to get an idea if I could afford the xtreme system.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 15282

Well, the Xtreme, being a three way, may not be "set in stone", but perhaps, "cast in ferroconcrete"?

The midrange driver is a given; it's the highest performance large cone midrange I know of.

Name:	C90-T5-Distortion93db.png
Views:	127
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	929444

The woofers are extremely clean, and the system could be built with the 26W/8867 instead of the 26W/12867; I chose the latter because they were available at a better price.

Name:	26W-Disto-LvlSwitch.png
Views:	15223
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	854375

The tweeter may still be pending on tweaking the Millenium Excel throat behavior, but I am committed to building up the first cabinets for that, and have already started them.

That said, there must be spy cams around here, the questions you guys keep coming up with, as I have been considering the possibility of documenting a lower cost version of this design (couldn't call it the Xtreme, though, could we?) using RS270 on the bottom end, possibly a Vifa NE180W on the midrange, and the ever popular Scanspeak D2608/9130 on the top end.

What would I call that? The Modula SO Xtreme? (Sort Of) Or Modula Xtreme SO?

I'm sort of joking about that, but I've got most of the drivers on hand to test for that, just waiting for the NE180W, which based on the impdeance curves, ought to have pretty low midrange distortion and excellent lack of rear masking. But it's not here yet, and not tested. I'm leaving for a week of business travel on Sunday, so I won't have any answers to the possibility of the SO version until next weekend earliest.

Keep in mind that for a sophisticated three way, the crossover expense is substantial whether you use Scanspeak and Accuton drivers or Dayton and Vifa. Though obviously, there are some possibilities for substitution with regards to the crossover component cost, parts, like the tweeter caps, which could be upgraded later.

Once again your clever questions are leading me to tip my hand a bit early...
                                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 20:29 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                                        M8ta
                                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                                        Isiris
                                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                                        Calliope
                                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ergo
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 676

Not same, but for reference one more method to push midbass low end up... (with real woofers the losses would be too big likely)

Comment

• spadez
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2010
                                                                                            • 83

Sweet Jesus. The mid range speaker (C173N-T6-90) is nearly $900 by itself! I guess the Xtremes are out of my budget!

I look forward to seeing the info on them though

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"